Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by oldotter
#2 says physics state every action has an equal but oppisite reaction, thus the prey feels aprox on impact what you feel in your shoulder via recoil.

Nope, recoil is the reaction of the force needed to get the bullet out of the barrel. The impact energy is the momentum of the bullet which starts to decrease as soon as it leaves the barrel.
Force = mass x acceleration
Momentum = mass x velocity

Last edited by Prwlr; 03/05/12.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by GotAmmo
Use a 338 Lapua Mag and it wont matter

Nope, I used a 50 bmg a couple of times. Thats the least amount of blood and animals running probably 100 plus yards at a minimum.

Vs a 257 wtby and 100 tsx where they often don't run on rib shots, but if they do its a very short distance.

IMHO if you want DRT besides a CNS shot, the closest to that is going to be rapid bullet expansion and the faster that bullet is going the better it is going to be at "knockdown"

Me, I don't really care, I prefer to shoot a bullet and round that will get it done at whatever my max distance is for the largest animal I"m hunting if I"m serious. If I don't care, then I often may hunt with some really small rounds... 32-20 being one... and love the challenge and the fact that you have to pass up shots all the time...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495

IMHO if you want DRT besides a CNS shot, the closest to that is going to be rapid bullet expansion and the faster that bullet is going the better it is going to be at "knockdown"

That's very true for deer. They really react to bullet speed and expansion.

Moose, on the other hand, seem to be bothered by the noise. They'll die on their own schedule...Them rascals can soak up some punishment.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ingwe,
I liked your point about "nock" down versus up.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I took a #6 pellet in the face one time, about as close to my eye as one could get without actually hitting the eyeball. It's surprising how much power one of them little things carries. I bled like a stuck hog.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Took one of those shotgun pellets, @ BB sized, to my right leg from a small game hunter once. It went through two layers of cloth and drove @ 1 1/2 inches into my leg from about 50 yards away. Bled pretty good for a non vital hit.

Only one pellet hit me out of the pattern. I got lucky the tree I was leaning against took most of the load.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Why was he shooting at you???

OP,

If you want knock down power, bust as much bone as you can wink

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by oldotter
Was a fly on the wall the other night, while 2 gents debated "shock /knock down" power, or myth of said power.
#1 party said he uses heavier bullits for the additional knock down umph, superior to lighter projectiles.
#2 says physics state every action has an equal but oppisite reaction, thus the prey feels aprox on impact what you feel in your shoulder via recoil.
I had enough sense to stay the hell out, and remaim a fly on the wall, but got my curiosity going. How much validity do you gave shock power?
.................If a casual observer in such a debate, I just might ask party #1 to explain for example, how the relatively "lighter" hunting VLD bullets in the 264 and 7mm calibers immediately drop big elk at extended long ranges?

I would then ask party #2. How would having more recoil necessarily increase knock down power? Party #2 is thinking that the more the recoil the more powerful the round, therefore equaling superior knockdown power. Well yes,,,and no.

I say to both. Sufficient bullet speed along with sufficient bullet weight is needed for any given bullet to do its job upon and after impact. But what determines better knock down power capability, depends more on "what" the bullet does internally "after" impact assuming the bullet is well placed.

A heavier bullet does not always translate into better knockdown power and is not necessarily superior to lighter projectiles. Depends on the game hunted and how the bullet reacts internally in the game.

Setting lighter vs heavier bullets aside, better shock/knockdown power imo, hinges more on the amount of internal damage and wound channel destruction. I wonder if that was later discussed in their debate.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My understanding, FWIW, is that animals drop due to wound reaction, not 'umph'. A heavier bullet might be more 'effective', however, if so it would have to do with inflicting a larger wound channel etc. - not simply because it was more 'massive'.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Why was he shooting at you???

OP,

If you want knock down power, bust as much bone as you can wink

Shot at a squirrel without checking his background in all of the excitement. We made up, but needless to say, I have never hunted with him again.

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
.................If a casual observer in such a debate, I just might ask party #1 to explain for example, how the relatively "lighter" hunting VLD bullets in the 264 and 7mm calibers immediately drop big elk at extended long ranges?

A heavier bullet does not always translate into better knockdown power and is not necessarily superior to lighter projectiles. Depends on the game hunted and how the bullet reacts internally in the game.

These 2 points are what I was primarily thinking. Party #1 is my FIL, whom is ALWAYS right. He swears by heaviest projectile for a given round. I have debated him in the past saying we both have taken deer with 1oz slugs, deer didn't flinch, ran off like the big bang skeered it. Not far mind you, but body language didn't say "I've been hit". My good buddy last year took a nice doe with his Savage 99 in 22HP. Bang-Flop. So I don't subscribe to the "shocking power" theory.
I think party #2, who knows him fairly well was trying to pizz him off. But he made enough sense for me to want to some google stuff when I think I have the right questions in mind.

The 2 points are quotes from bigsqueeze, but my efforts on a segmented quote were an utter failure

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Nock down power is real or a .22 would hit as hard as a .375 H&H but it doesn't,does it?

Take a 243 and a 375 H&H and pick a bullet that penetrates equally between them,,Which one has the most "Nock Down Power"

Jayco

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Someone on the forum has a sig line that says something along the lines:

Foot pounds don't kill game; leaky holes and broken bones do.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 458Win
I can guarantee that contestant #2 has never been shot.

hahaha. 24HCF NEEDS A LIKE BUTTON FOR POSTS LIKE THIS

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Is this about shooting people and the pain it inflicts or getting fragged with the burn shrapnel inflicts, or hunting big game?

Hunting 100 pound gooks is quite different than big game...

Dinky Dow!!!!!!!

Jayco

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by logcutter
Take a 243 and a 375 H&H and pick a bullet that penetrates equally between them,,Which one has the most "Nock Down Power"

Jayco
........By your example "if" the 243 bullet by chance did give a wider and more destructive wound channel given the same distance of penetration on the same game, then imo, the 243 might have the quicker knock down power, even though all the energy #s on paper favor the 375 bullet.

It`s not as much as to the weight and diameter of the bullet, but rather the pattern of internal destruction that is made.

Given the same distance of penetration if that were the case, a lighter 264, 7mm or 30 cal hunting VLD or similar bullet, will cause a greater defect in terms of wound channel width and overall destruction vs a 375 bullet, which characteristics of expansion after impact cannot match the width of internal destruction of some lighter bullets.

Bullet expansion internal characteristics after impact play a greater role imo where knock down power is concerned rather than just bullet weight and bullet diameter alone.

That doesn`t mean I`d use a VLD on a caped buff should I ever go to Africa someday. Girthy beasts require more bullet penetration.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
But the 375 H&H is legal in Africa.

I sure don't have the answer but in whatever terms a guy wants to look at it,larger calibers have more nock down power than smaller,all thing being equal....

Maybe that's why Phil Shoemaker loves the '06 with heavy partitions but chooses to use the 458 Win Mag for backup.

Jayco

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No shoulder-fired rifle has the power to "knock down" an animal. You must destroy their ability to stand. A bullet placed in selected spots is capable of that as long as it penetrates sufficiently.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by logcutter
But the 375 H&H is legal in Africa.

I sure don't have the answer but in whatever terms a guy wants to look at it,larger calibers have more nock down power than smaller,all thing being equal....

Jayco
..............Yes the 375 is legal in Africa. But all things aren`t all equal imo.

I put more emphasis on knock down power in what the bullet does after impact vs the automatic assumption of more knock down power based on more bullet weight along with more diameter.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
for real nock down try this
[Linked Image]

Life is life and fun is fun but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.
Bror Blixen
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

154 members (32_20fan, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 300_savage, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 23 invisible), 2,671 guests, and 911 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,658
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.