Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
coolYup you and I both married well above our paygrade... grin

I think you could of took 1 more hunk out of that chip. whistle

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
GB1

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
yup they are both keepers.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
If the .50-90 is anything like the .50-70 it will be a piece of cake to reload for.

How is the .44-77 compared to the straight cartridges for fouling? I had a Rough Rider .40-70BN and it shot great but you had to clean the chamber after 2 shots or the 3rd wouldn't chamber

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So far it seems as tho the 44-77 is shooting a bunch cleaner than the straight cases. I ran about a dozen patched loads the other day without any tubing or wiping. I have not fired any with fireformed case yet, so things might change when I get started on those.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
One thing on the pricing that no one has mentioned is that the catalog prices do not include the federal excise tax of 11%. This is added to the wholesale price which is established at 75% of retail, so add another 157 or so to the cheapest model.

My Shiloh is a .40-65. As sweet as it is, I would recommend the .45-70 as a first rifle choice. My second choice would be a .45-90. Component availability and ease of loading is what I base this on. You will not find a rifle anywhere that beats Shiloh for fit and finish, regardless if it is entry level as mine is or the fanciest one they make.

Good shooting, jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
IC B2

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Now I know you guys think you are good, but can you outshoot Swampturd with his new Pedersoli Sharps?;-)

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
After all, he's got 40 years of experience now!

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Pacecars.

The 50-2.5 is very easy to load for. It is not at all particular what you load it with as far as a powder load is concerned but mine does better with a heavy bullet with the 1/22 ROT it has.
Any bullet between 1.4" to 1.5" long is my choice.
I think the large diameter case has a lot to do with the powder load not being critical.
I have two .44-90 BN rifles and I have no problem with fouling in the throat with them. Some will say that the bottle necks suffer from fouling in the throat but I have never seen it.
As well as using a compressed load in a bottle neck case. It will shoot very good with a none compressed load but I also load mine with a 105 gr compressed load of .500" of 1.5 KIK powder and with the bullet I use with that load is very good.
The .50 and the .44 both seem to prefer the hotter primers like the CCI's, win mag. or the fed 215.

Kurt

Last edited by Kurt71; 03/15/12.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by E Blair
Now I know you guys think you are good, but can you outshoot Swampturd with his new Pedersoli Sharps?;-)

You got yellow clay already on yer' sights,...GO for it.

Stay upwind from the "Brown Clay Clan",...they carry "Bugs"

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Closer to 50. I've been casting and reloading them for 40 though.

"If what I say offends you, you should hear what I don't say."
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Judging by his questions and obtuse knowledge of equipment, I'd say he spent his 40 years of "experience" with his head stuck in the sand or simply peering at the world through the porthole somebody replaced his navel with. I placed him on ignore long ago, so only find out what he posts/says when somebody quotes him. He is not very bright, apparently. He may be well educated, but that has zero to do with intelligence or "experience".

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
How would you know? You don't seem to have to equipment to acess the (any) situation.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swampman1

Equivalent to saying, I spent 7 years in High School...

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I didn't go the Finishing School like yourself, but at least I went to an actual school of learning.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I didn't go the Finishing School like yourself, but at least I went to an actual school of learning.

I'm sorry, but I've read your statement several times and it still makes no sense.

Is it a different language? Babblelonian or such?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You would have to have some sense for it to make sense.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Equivalent to saying, I spent 7 years in High School...

prolly doesnt have 50 years of experience, prolly has one year of experience repeated 50 times over....know a few guys like that....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That was my thought as well.

It's been my observation that for experienced shooters getting into BPCR, the learning curve is shorter and smoother if they approach it with an open mind and a bit of humility. To put it another way, relying on past experience with other types of shooting is likely to lead to un- or under-productive avenues, even dead ends. The posts of such shooters typically include "I've been doing thus-and-so for so many years".

I like to see shooting, including BPCRs, as a big tent. I have nothing against somebody who just likes the old time guns, accoutrements, and shooting critters at close ranges in dense cover (swamps?). Indeed, given the limitations of these vintage arms, ethics demand that shots be taken at relatively close ranges. Especially so with big, hard to kill, critters like buffalo.

However, when talking about raw accuracy, keep in mind that for serious BPCR shooters, accuracy testing begins at 200 yards and goes out from there. In other words, it starts at the practical outside limit of ethical hunting shots.

As far as BPCR knowledge and experience, those who regularly post here include, in no particular order:

- A master metal craftsman who can take a beat up old rifle and restore it to its former glory and function. I recently spent a pleasant day with him shooting "mini BPCR", vintage single shot .22s at 200 meters in tricky wind conditions. A real challenge, and a close approximation of BPCRs at extended ranges.

- A man who practically lives on game shot with black powder in his original arms, having hunted extensively in the US, as well as Africa. He is a tough competitor, and recently won a major long range BPCR competition.

- A man whose trophy wall includes several wins of major rifle championships, over a competitive career of several decades. He has his own 1000 yard range.

These are just three of the BPCR shooters who hang out here, and with whom I have shot and shared food and drink, as well as knowledge. There are others as well.

There is much to be learned, if one pays attention and listens with the right attitude. Some do, some don't.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ive got a fair amount of experience on a number of things but always like finding someone that can school me on new stuff even on subjects i know alot about......course i dont sit and boast bout all the experience i have then ask basic questions.....i just claim up front i only know a lil and prepare myself to learn some new stuff.....Swamparse sat and lectured everyone on Sharps rifles on another thread just a lil while ago and claimed he knew more than most and wasnt jaded by expensive rifles that werent needed.....now he is asking newbie questions bout the very subject he claimed to know alot about....

he is a troll and thats about it....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rattler
he is a troll and thats about it....

Always has been . . . always will be - which is why he is on my ignore list.

OTOH - I try not to boast (mostly because I have little to boast about), but I have "hung out" with a number of BPCR competition shooters (I am not one of them) in the past, and I listened to them when they spoke and offered assistance and pointers. The same applies here. I sometimes may not come off this way (and I do apologize for that) but, if I can, I try to pass on some of their pointers that worked for me and a good many others. If something I say here sounds off base, either call me on it or ignore it. Either is fine with me, and worth every penny paid for same advise wink.

BPCR is a fun endeavor, whether your goal is to be a competition shooter or a hunter or you just like to see/hear these big rounds go down range. I like to do the last two. Anything the collective wisdom here can do to shorten a new-to-BPCR shooter's learning curve is a good thing. Some want to listen, some just want to stir the pot.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,389 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,395
Posts18,488,841
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.