Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by maarty
We went to look at a house recently, there were a couple of horses there and I called out to them. the mare trotted up to the gate and when I went to scratch her she turned and bit at my hand, she got a solid punch to the shoulder that turned her away. The owners said she only does it when you haven't got a treat for her and I told them they had made her into a spoiled and potentially dangerous animal.

At least around here it is also bad manners to go petting or interacting with any animal that isn't your own or that you didn't get permission too first.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Originally Posted by maarty
We went to look at a house recently, there were a couple of horses there and I called out to them. the mare trotted up to the gate and when I went to scratch her she turned and bit at my hand, she got a solid punch to the shoulder that turned her away. The owners said she only does it when you haven't got a treat for her and I told them they had made her into a spoiled and potentially dangerous animal.

At least around here it is also bad manners to go petting or interacting with any animal that isn't your own or that you didn't get permission too first.

Normally I wouldn't but in this case the horses were staying on the property and we (as tenants) were to be responsible for making sure the horses were cared for.

The original international turd
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Ralphie

Our horses back east here are for the most part hobbies or just pets. Your horses are your lively hood out there. You don't need, or can't afford to deal with bad habits they might have picked up from someone. If some one wants to pet or brush my geldings I let them do it because they enjoy human interaction. I tell inexperienced people to steer clear of the mare though,she is not for inexperienced hands.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buck is a great movie because it highlights the new style of horsemanship. On Dad's ranch people used snubbing posts and other severe devices. Had a roommate between wives in Denver 30 years ago that later had a gf that used Branaman as a trainer in MT. The guy studied with Buck and has become a famous international horse trainer- Frank Bell lives in now in New South Whales, Aus.

I had mules for 10 years and wanted to step up and bought one from far away and spent a lot of money. He had no foundation and over-reacted in the mountains bucking me off twice. Hurt bad and pretty much gave up riding at 60.

People do not realize what they are getting themselves into. Over confidence cost me big time. I miss the critters and mess around with neighborhood donkeys. If I ever go on a long trip it will be on foot leading two donkeys.

The lady in the movie must surely have some issues with Daddy or previous husbands/boyfriends. She personifies "California stupid."

I like the natural horsemanship and wish I had learned more sooner. Owning mules makes you a trainer because they are so smart that they either get better or worse in your care. Working with mules taught me patience and persistence. Sometimes it required intense self-examination and looking hard in the mirror. I will always hang around livestock people because they are taught to be honest by horses and especially mules. A mule trainer generally makes a good horse trainer, but the reverse is often not true. Cheers for Ears. Ride with Pride.

Last edited by ppine; 03/27/12.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The off season for riding here is way longer than the on season. Different training videos and shows (rfdtv and HRTV) are a good distraction and one can on occasion pick up some interesting new tip or bit of knowledge.

http://www.giddyupflix.com/ is like netflix, but has different trainers and other equine related dvds.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dan,
There is no bad weather only bad clothes. AK is tough that way.

Had a Lewis and Clark party a few years ago and cooked buffalo in a Dutch oven and planked salmon over a fire. My Dad was in town. We partied, went in the house and then he asked "What is that campfire doing?" We went back out about midnight under a full moon drinking some good whiskey. My good black mule Judith was watching me from her pen. I put a halter on and brought her to the campfire. She finished the leftover appetizers, and then I cracked open a Coors Light and she drank it out of my hand. That was the night I partied with Dad and my favorite mule.

George Santayana
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
On a normal year we ride all winter - not off the roads or much outside of the little arena This year was lots of snow followed by rain followed by below zero...The crust was causing abrasions on the horses legs... Now it is ice with a skiff of fresh snow on top. Spring is coming - the snow has settled to wher the top two rungs of the powder river panels are showing!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dan,
We have heard of your tough winter. I used to live in Wyoming and understand the problems that creates.

George Santayana
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Is there any hope of curing an occasional bucker?

Ended up with one that has good breeding, conformation and maybe a good mind.

He is intolerant of inexperience or inattentiveness (I am working on overcoming both of these traits) and has a no nonsense ejector button when activated..

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
On what occasions does he quit you?

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Both times in the arena. Once during the warm up prior to team penning and once during a run cutting a cow back.

He was brought by because he bucked the last two owner off also.

Blood work showed a extreme thiamine deficiency when we first got him. To the point of muscle atrophy. So muscle pain may have been what started him doing it. Treatment and brewers yeast have got him back to normal and he has gained around 100 pounds. Still lean though.

Both dirt baths started with me asking for a right turn. Did a lot of turns so don't know what was different - maybe my balance.

He gets lots of ground work and is very light and mindful, but I think he never really "gives it up".

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Back in about 1969, and old cowboy by the name of Harry Tucker out of Texas hunted elk with us.He was close to 80 at the time,and brought a nice looking buckskin gelding to ride along with all his other stock. He could never handle it first thing in the morning so he showed us youngsters how to throw it down. We could then get a bit in it's mouth and let it back back up to saddle it up.
Then one of us would have to climb on and buck it out in the dark. It didn't buck real hard ,but would do so every moring.After that,Harry would climb on and ride all day with no problems.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any horsetrainer worth his salt would point to foundation training on the ground, followed by a lot wet saddle blankets.

George Santayana
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've found most horses that aren't outlaws buck for one of two reasons, either scared or hurt. If its a cutting horse, could be both. May have gotten over worked as a baby doesn't look forward to the the pressure, or maybe something hurts when he works. does he only buck when working?

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
He was bought for a younger kid. Believe he was fine on trail rides and hunting trips.

At clinics when pushed he would say No with flare and throw a fit once in awhile. He pretty much has tossed off everyone that has owned him. He was dropped of here to do what we wanted with him. (Iditarod food)

Did the flank strap and tires on him with a trainer and said trainer took him to team penning and pushed him hard to get him to buck, spurs low and back etc. No buck and exceeded behavior expectations.

As I type this I am wondering if the problem lies with being in an arena/crowd setting? Will check Thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have this idea that every horse has a job meant for them, and maybe this guy's job doesn't include arena work. If he's good on trails and hunting trips, keep him doing those jobs.
I'd also say a horse can to a large degree sense what he can and cannot get away with, and that may have something to do with his behavior with a trainer vs a kid or timid rider. Cutting trainers in general burn up a lot of horses pushing them too hard as babies. Give him another job and see how he works on that.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for the tips Richard.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Its my pleasure Dan. I really enjoy horses and welcome the opportunity to talk about themn as there was the day I lived for them. Thank you for being kind enough to engage me in conversation.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Finally got to watch the movie "Buck". Wife and I rented through her Amazon account and streamed it.

We really enjoyed it.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Just now saw this thread. Thanks, Saddlesore for your kind words... from you, that is very meaningful.

Never have met Buck, did meet and visit with Ray Hunt. I like the approach of both from the standpoint of common sense and working for lightness.

Watched the Buck movie and have the book. Related to it quite a bit as I grew up with a dad that was not only lethal, and dangerous, he was unpredictable and that is the hard part. Enjoyed the movie and book. As shown, you do better to let go and move on and have a good life.

The lady with the stallions in the movie had real problems, and the horse was made into exactly what he had become, by the way he was handled and not being gelded, is my guess.

As far as women and horses, sad to say there appears to be a real overload of ladies who did not grow up around any livestock, and have a lot of unresolved issues about nurturing and treat these equine like toy poodles, and they get hurt.

There are some men like that, but an amazing number of women and girls. All that is ok kinda when you are 5 years old and all, but women need to understand that loving the horses does not in any way make the horses love (and not hurt) you.

The part that bugs me to death is they will ask for help, but sull up and fluff their feathers if you make any comment that might mean they have over fed, over loved, and underworked their horses. I don't know when it became politically incorrect to state that a horse needs training and correction, and mileage .

I ride mules, hunt every chance I can, and even take my husband with me!
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,473
Posts18,489,910
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.