-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My hunting, fishing truck is a Chevrolet 1980 3/4 ton suburban, 350 V/8, 4x4, getting a little ragged around the edges but still going stronger than me. Think it will out live me at this point. Has pulled boats and trailers all it's life, well over 200,000 miles uses no oil from change to change, never worked on engine. Can't complain about anything on it, still looks better than me. Got my moneys worth from this one. Would replace with Toyota if necessary, sold my Toy pickup and regret it. -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
GB1

leomort Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
JJ,
<br>
<br> Not sure about the locking rear diff in the TRD package. If what you say is true, then Toyota shoud came the limit rear slip diffy.
<br>
<br>I've never owned a truck before or 4x4 so my knowledge is quite limited in that area.
<br>
<br>Do you think it's worth get the TRD package then?
<br>
<br> Leo

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
94 Toyota 4X4 extra cab, 90K miles, including a 3500 mile exodus from CA to AK pulling a ~2 ton trailer. Only additions have been a smitty tubular rear bumper with trailor hitch, and a fiberglass shell. Only problems have been front disks warped, and the horn and dome light went out. I've replaced the headlights twice, but due to rock damage. Change the oil over 3k, keep er full and upright, and it keeps on running.
<br>
<br>Does duty as daily commute vehicle, and the hubs are locket in ~ 1/2 the year.
<br>
<br>Me thinks it's about time to change all the hoses, belts, and battery, as well as doing something about the horn and dome light.
<br>
<br>I did mount a pair of seats subura brat style in the bed, makes it a bit more versitile as the family ride, though with 3 kids, and 2 rear seats, they fight over who gets to play tail gunner.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stole my 21 year old daughter's 1990 Jeep Wrangler last year. Has a 4 banger with a 3" lift kit and 31x10.50 tires. Only thing that would have been better is if I'd taken the hardtop off. I've gotten into trouble putting four wheel drive vehicles into places they shouldn't go ('64 Jeep Pickup with a 302 and '84 S10 Blazer) and have reached the conclusion that the only thing a powerful engine does is help me get stuck faster!
<br>I just picked up a 1988 Isuzu Trooper LS and will use it this year. Fuel injected four banger with a narrow body and a spartan enough character to not worrow about abusing it a little. Can't take the top off it however! I do think I'll pop a sunroof in it though.
<br>I love the turning radius of the Jeep. I had the Jeep in 4WD low a lot last year and there were few places it wouldn't just walk in and out of with the 4cyl.
<br>If I lived in a part of the country where the roads weren't so overgrown I'd have an early Blazer where the top comes all the way off. But I'd feel so bad scratching the sides up here in the GreatNW that I'd never take it out.
<br>

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It just saddens me to see a lack of the old classics. You know, trucks with character.
<br>
<br>Mine is a 1971 Chevy Blazer. Lifted, big tires, loud exhaust. No computer. No auto locking hubs. No anything that you don't need. Even an idiot like me can fix almost any problem it will ever have.
<br>
<br>I used to have a 70 blazer. After hauling around a really rank, full in the rut buck, my wife and kids refused to ride with me. I'm looking for another for the 71.[Linked Image]

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have had three since I got out of college and could make payments.
<br>
<br>first was a Jeep CJ-7 until the family numbered more than two.
<br>
<br>It was replaced by a 1985 Chevy Blazer. Drove it for over 200,000 miles.
<br>
<br>Thought the Blazer was so good I would just stay with a Chevy and bought a 1998 Z-71 extended cab. So far I am not disapointed.
<br>
<br>I would love to have another Jeep or an old Bronco some day. They are just too fun.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Mine, is a 1967 Ford Bronco Pick-up with the following modifications:
<br>4 inch lift
<br>35 inch mudders
<br>302 (replaced six banger)
<br>456 gears
<br>Detroit locker rear
<br>Tru trac in the front
<br>Power steering
<br>Winch that can be located front or rear
<br>
<br>Tow it in behind dads Turbo Diesel F-350 4x4
<br>

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
leomort,
<br>
<br>I too was under the impression that the 2001 and later TRD Tacomas had an electrically actuated rear locker. I think it would be wise to research this fully.
<br>
<br>As for me, I'm the lone Nissan 4x4 driver here. I've had nothing but pure reliability with the two I've owned so far, but I'm probably going to sell the first (an '87) to get an older Jeep.
<br>
<br>Scott

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
leomort, here's another Nissan driver. Mine's a 96 pathfinder with auto everything. No complaints at this point.
<br>
<br>If I did the serious 4wd work that JJ does, I'd mimic his rig exactly. I don't push the envelope that much, though I do have to use 4wd once in a while.
<br>
<br>I did have an Isuzu Trooper II with manual hubs that I really liked. It's got over 200K now with nothing but standard minor problems. The guy who owned it before me let it get low on coolant and cracked the head, which he replaced. On this rig I was really glad it had the EFI 4 cyl as opposed to the small 6 offered. I like the 4cyls, but I always drive slow anyway.
<br>
<br>The thing I really like about the Pathfinder is that you can drive up, put the seats down, and sleep for the night in a matter of minutes. I carry a sheet of netting and let the left windows down, then shut the netting in the doors to keep skeeters out. Very convenient when you want to be in the woods a couple hours before sunup. I could do the same with a pickup and shell, but I don't really like shells.
<br>
<br>There are a lot of good SUVs and trucks in the used market around here. I found mine in Truck Trader. I would not consider a new one. I did shop hard before I bought, looking for the right deal and the right seller -- a maintenance professional with all the rig's records and enough gray hair that I knew he wasn't a tire smoker. I replaced an Oxy sensor but consider that normal. I get 20 mpg in summer and about 18 in winter round town. Could be worse.
<br>
<br>I have 3 children, so my hunting rig is my living rig. If not, I'd go JJs route.
<br>
<br>Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If Toyota has made available the Electronic rear locker then it's the same as the South African design which has been used there for at least the last 6 years. How about the front ? still have to go aftermarket anyway I guess. I'm not much for electronic transmissions, transfercases, or diffs, but its a move in th right direction to put in a real locking axel!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
94 Ranger Extended cab, 2 wheel drive, 4.0Liter V-6,(Had an 86 CJ-7 When I bought it) 178,000 miles only work was due to a wreck I wasn't at fault in. I keep thinking the clutch will give up the ghost, but it still runs just like new! I will probably replace this truck with a 4x4 Tundra when the time comes..They are going for $26,000 new around here in 4WD.
<br>
<br>My two feet are the most used hunting vehicle! I hunt mainly on a WMA with gravel roads and the private property I hunt is bordered by a paved road. I have debated on getting a 4 wheeler instead of a new truck and haven't completely ruled it out yet.
<br>
<br>Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
'92 Toyota truck until 3 months ago. Sold it to my son cheap ( doing him a favor ) after putting 151,000 miles on it. New starter and one u-joint were the only repairs I've put into it. Bought a '97 Toyota T-100 extended cab ( not 4-wheel drive I'm sad to say ) that has more room for all my gear. Plan on seeing just how many miles a Toyota can go with this one.
<br>
<br>Jeff

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
F250 4x4. Manual tranny.
<br>
<br>My only vehicle.
<br>
<br>MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1986 Chevrolet Caprice. This car has a nice big trunk that will take a animal up to about 400 lbs. It's comfortable to ride in and everything is locked in the back.
<br>
<br>I really have no use for pickup trucks. To each his own.
<br>
<br>As to four wheel drive. I really don't like to ride with a owner of a four wheel drive vehicle. They always get stuck. I never get stuck.
<br>
<br>

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Toyota Tacoma-2000-extend cab-V6--second Toyota great trucks!
<br>
<br>"GET TO THE HILL"
<br>
<br>Dog

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Sold my 85 Toyota 4X4 PU(Had 230,000 miles). Just bought a new 2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 4X4, heading up to Reno, NV in the morning to pick it up. I went with the V-6, manual 5 speed OD and LX pkg(SR5) No rear differential locker. I did get AC, tilt wheel, cruise, tach, 3 in 1 CD stereo. Purchase price was $21,000. I did not go with the TRD pkge, too many more things to break in the long run in my opinion. I will out fit this truck with AR alloy wheels, BF goodrich Mud N Snow for the winter and a seperate wheel set with BF goodrich all-terrains for spring & summer. Rhino bedliner, matching Vista shell for the bed. K&N air filter, flowmaster muffler for the engine.
<br>
<br>I bought this truck from a Nevada dealer, the Calif dealers were too stiff, not very flexible. All they wanted to sell me were the fully loaded yuppie models with automatic transmissions. The Tacomas are 50 state emissions so no problem there. The model # for my truck is 7553 if you are interested. I better go to bed now before I screw up this post like my last one. Mtn Htr

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Don,
<br>
<br>There is a lot of wisdom in your words.
<br>
<br>I grew up in rural central Montana. 15 miles from a hardtop road. A 4x4 is a real necessity if you want to get around in the winter. I'm not into "off roading". But I like the 4x4 for driving in snow/icy/muddy conditions. Nothing like an ungraveled road after a rain. We call it gumbo.
<br>
<br>MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2000 F350 4x4 crew cab turbo diesel, short bed. Fantastic truck. Since I haul horses, hay, etc. the full size truck is a must. It'd occassionally be nice to have a little toyota to manuever around the woods, I don't shed too many tears about a few scratches in the big truck. It's meant to work and it works great.
<br>
<br>I am in and out of 4wd at LEAST once a day. I live up in the mountains and use the heck out of it just getting to the house and the barn. Use the shift on the fly, though I have locking hubs too. It's never let me down so far. The F150 4x4 extended cab I replaced never saw the shop either. I've always had excellent luck with Ford trucks, so can't imagine I'd try anything else, unless I ever decide on a small truck, which is unlikely.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I like Fords too.
<br>
<br>Over the years I've had 3, they have all been reliable.
<br>
<br>A '79 F150 4x4, 8' bed, standard cab 4-speed manual, 351
<br>
<br>A '90 full size Bronco 4x4, 5-speed manual, 4.9L
<br>
<br>And now '01 F250 4x4, 8' bed, standard cab, 5-speed manual, 5.4L
<br>
<br>Just about anything is a compromise between maneuverability, payload, towing ability. Someday I wouldn't mind having a smaller dedicated hunting rig, but for an all-arounder, I like the standard full-size pickup format.
<br>
<br>MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Finally, some good, old Detroit iron.
<br>
<br>All of mine, (5), have been Ford pickups.Two F-100's, an F250, and the last two, F-150 standard cab short beds. The last three have all been 4X4 and had 8,000 lb Ramsey winches and very aggressive tires. The tires have gotten a little shorter and a lot narrower with experience. I especially like the SWB for maneuvering in the ugly stuff though I tend to run out of room in the cab very quickly. This latest one is the only one that hasn't had a canopy and I don't know why for sure. Too cheap I guess. We do use the wife's Explorer on occasion, but, with more caution and more concern for the conditions.
<br>
<br>Brother and nephews run full size GMC and Chevy P/u's. Good friend runs a 3/4 Dodge standard cab. I really can't think of anyone just offhand here who doesn't run a full size Detroit rig, except one neat little older Bronco.
<br>
<br>2D

Last edited by twodogs; 04/28/02.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

402 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 56 invisible), 3,436 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,777
Posts18,535,926
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.