Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
When the ammo factories go to load a cartridge, they first set a maximum average peak pressure that for the sake of safety from liability suits they don't plan to go beyond. Then they use whatever powder will about fill the case and won't produce more than that pressure.

That box of .30-30, that box of .30-40, and that box of .45-70 on the gun-shop shelf may be destined to come to life in Ruger No. 1s, but you can be sure that they'll be loaded to be safe in 94s, Krags, and trap-doors. Definitely lower pressures, irrespective of what those powders are capable of producing in other cartridges and stronger breeches.

Take a look at what SAAMI says � http://www.lasc.us/SAAMIMaxPressure.htm

Thus the powder pantry is full of stuff that may well "burn better" at significantly higher pressures. In the low-pressure cartridges, they do the jobs that are assigned to 'em.

Performance is what counts, not theoretical neatness or purity.

When Joe Louis fought (IIRC) Billy Conn, a number of our bigoted friends in Appalachia felt that Joe'd been champ "long enough" � that it was time for us to have a new (white) champ. They weren't happy when Louis knocked Conn out in about the thirteenth round.

"If Louis hadn't knocked him out," one of my pro-Conn friends said heatedly, "Conn woulda won!"

Conn was indeed ahead on points, but the KO trumped 'em all.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
� what twist did you have in mind with the .220 Howell?

I would think that with the design centered on the the 75gr A-Max it would be 1-8" but it could go 1-7" to use some of other heavier bullets around now too. �

The rifle that Joe has is the third prototype. The first two were disappointing � twists way too tight. Bullets blew-up just ahead of the muzzle. Puffs of gray nothing.

The Greenhill equation called for a seven-inch or eight-inch twist � obviously too tight, as totally unsatisfactory field performance showed all too clearly.

So with this third one, I swallowed hard, screwed my daring down white-knuckle tight, and had Greg rifle it for one turn in nine inches.

Joe's results seem to justify the risk. (I wonder, of course, how stable these bullets will remain at loooooooooooong ranges.)

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

When Joe Louis fought (IIRC) Billy Conn, a number of our bigoted friends in Appalachia felt that Joe'd been champ "long enough" � that it was time for us to have a new (white) champ. They weren't happy when Louis knocked Conn out in about the thirteenth round. If Louis hadn't knocked him out," one of my pro-Conn friends said heatedly, "Conn woulda won!" Conn was indeed ahead on points, but the KO trumped 'em all.

I was just a kid then - since have watched that contest more than once (old film). Conn was noticeably smaller - a light-heavyweight - but a better boxer who made Louis pay for 12 rounds (today's championship length). Then Louis finally nailed Conn with a heavy bomb - maybe like the 75g AMAX at 3600++ fps?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd bet that 1-9" works great even waaay out there. My .223AI is a 1-9". Even with the .223AI's significantly lower speed the 75gr AMAX flys true as far as I have ever shot.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The factory brass wasn't made to the specifications that were integral to the original design. (Bruce took it on himself to "improve" something that didn't need his "improvements.") But Joe diligently made some of those cases work safely � with muzzle velocities very close to predicted and very small groups (as small as 0.291 inch, right?). �

IIRC, the hundreds of cases that I gave Joe are from two production runs, months or more apart � which gave Bruce a second run at "improving" the first batch.

IIRC, he said that he'd made the head of the case stronger � how, I don't know.

Those cases are probably "right on" in exterior dimensions and vary all over the place in interior dimensions.

In all my computer simulations, I've used an onager estimation of gross capacity.

I'd like to see what that cartridge can do with selected cases carefully formed and trimmed from good .25-06 brass.

"Good enough" isn't.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC
When Joe Louis fought (IIRC) Billy Conn, a number of our bigoted friends in Appalachia felt that Joe'd been champ "long enough" � that it was time for us to have a new (white) champ. They weren't happy when Louis knocked Conn out in about the thirteenth round. If Louis hadn't knocked him out," one of my pro-Conn friends said heatedly, "Conn woulda won!" Conn was indeed ahead on points, but the KO trumped 'em all.

I was just a kid then - since have watched that contest more than once (old film). Conn was noticeably smaller - a light-heavyweight - but a better boxer who made Louis pay for 12 rounds (today's championship length). Then Louis finally nailed Conn with a heavy bomb - maybe like the 75g AMAX at 3600++ fps?

By the bye, Paul � without looking it up, do you know Joe Louis's real surname?

HINT � it wasn't "Louis." That was his middle name � Joe Louis ****** � his mama didn't want him to be boxing, so he used a "stage" name to keep her from knowing what he was doing.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'd bet that 1-9" works great even waaay out there. My .223AI is a 1-9". Even with the .223AI's significantly lower speed the 75gr AMAX flys true as far as I have ever shot.

IIRC, the .303 British won its great reputation for its long-range stability by staggering around all over the place before it "went to sleep" and delivered the bacon way out there.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC

By the bye, Paul � without looking it up, do you know Joe Louis's real surname?

HINT � it wasn't "Louis." That was his middle name � Joe Louis ****** � his mama didn't want him to be boxing, so he used a "stage" name to keep her from knowing what he was doing.

Yeah - knew it even then - Joe Louis Barrow. And another guy that beat up on Louis for a while - Jersey Joe Walcott - was born and raised as Arnold Cream. Best fighter I ever saw in person was Sugar Ray Robinson - and his real name was Walker Smith. I saw him on a train between Philly and NYC once and. although he was fighting at 160 lbs. at the time, he had to be almost 6 ft. tall and looked BIG.

Maybe like a .220H - possibly performs bigger than it is?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yeah, but that's probably because of those pink nipples.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I'd like to see what that cartridge can do with selected cases carefully formed and trimmed from good .25-06 brass.

I would too,.......let's get the hell outta' blind alleys and quit azzing around with off spec brass !

* Find a COMMONLY available lot of brass,.......in 25-06, and FORM some .220 Howell

The numbers and the reamer I've got in front of me say this will WORK.

Still WAITING for a callout on what aggragate neck thicknesses look like on the "hassle brass"

....guess everybody's too busy extrapolating, and designing another reamer, to actually sit down and MEASURE some necks.

We're not building a space shuttle here, boys.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 06/04/14.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
� The numbers and the reamer I've got in front of me say this will WORK. �

Joe's loads in his .220 Howell have already shown that to be so.

Documented.

In the presence of witnesses.

The next step, I think, is to cajole RCBS, Hornady, Forster, or Redding to produce forming dies for making .220 Howell cases from good .25-06 brass.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
....and FWIW, I'll BET that if I had that set of custom dies that accompanied the 3rd prototype that I could have some brass that properly fits that chamber up and running in no time flat.

At this point, using the term "factory brass" seems more than a bit odd.

To my knowledge nobody's even TRIED working some 25-06 yet.

So, we don't really KNOW, ....do we ?

GTC

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
� The numbers and the reamer I've got in front of me say this will WORK. �

Documented.

The next step, I think, is to cajole RCBS, Hornady, Forster, or Redding to produce forming dies for making .220 Howell cases from good .25-06 brass.

I'm not getting any real feedback on that.

Good to hear, though.

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[quote=crossfireoops] � The numbers and the reamer I've got in front of me say this will WORK. �

Documented.

)

Two or three passes on ANNEALED necks would be my own call,
.....real Imperial Wax, this time, NO substitutes.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 06/04/14.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I would too,.......let's get the hell outta' blind alleys and quit azzing around with off spec brass !* Find a COMMONLY available lot of brass,.......in 25-06, and FORM some .220 HowellThe numbers and the reamer I've got in front of me say this will WORK. Still WAITING for a callout on what aggragate neck thicknesses look like on the "hassle brass"

....guess everybody's too busy extrapolating, and designing another reamer, to actually sit down and MEASURE some necks.
We're not building a space shuttle here, boys. GTC

Was done to quite an extent last weekend - brass inconsistency determined for certain, and so inconsistent as to disable any generality report. Did see some developed inner/outer neck dimensions that worked in that one chamber, and the rifle itself seemed excellent.

Predicting that one will be a very fine shooter of the 75g. Even with less than optimum conditions/setup and a first-squeeze shooter (me, on that VERY light set trigger), it sat right down close to zero point. I don't think that one was chrono'ed. Sure adnire that beautiful rifle.

Once I get the working .220H rifle set up, intend to start from a good .25/06 case and form to .220H. Won't start that until I have the rifle ready. Also will see what can be done in THAT chamber with some of this Bertram - but re-working that brass may prove not worth the time/effort.

Fun to be working with a cartridge designed by a friend - even if the guy who made the custom brass wandered from design specs.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
� At this point, using the term "factory brass" seems more than a bit odd.

Kinda like calling Moochelle "the First Lady." laugh

To my knowledge nobody's even TRIED working some 25-06 yet.

IIUC, Joe did a pretty good job making vinyl purses out of Bruce Bertram's sow's ears. I'm pretty sure that his final renditions are pretty close to what we'd get with form dies and selected .25-06 brass.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think I'll take a die blank and cut a chamber in it with the reamer here,....then dink the top end of it around to accept bushings. A good Chro-Mo die will make THOUSANDS of cases , without being hardened, if the process is kept reasonably clean.

and , yup, it IS fun.

GTC

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I do believe you are on the right track. I have made bushing dies and stepped necks down it two steps with great successes in the past when taking 6BR to 22BR.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm going to cut the die here, ....and than see if I can't coerce Bristoe into fitting the bushing end, he'll have access to better tolerances on his end.

Wilson Bushings ?

I've done more than a few for big straightwalled coal burners, but never for a BN case.

Do the bushings "Float", or are we talking real serious fitup ?

GTC

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I used the Redding TIN coated but have also used carbide drill bushings. For necking down a little floating works well. the rounded edges on the bushings will center the operation. I don't see why you could not do it yourself plenty well enough to float a bushing .010 or so.

In my hand dies for loading I locked the bushings in with a light slip fit.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1234, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 22kHornet, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 257 roberts, 62 invisible), 3,240 guests, and 1,027 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,589
Posts18,532,385
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.