Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Just opened the box on my first new to me, ordered to my specs McMillan. Supposed to be 50/50 orange and black; after seeing Seal's rifle I had to have one for my Redneck built 264 Win Mag.

This is not a McMillan bash and I debated even starting this thread, but I have a few questions for the guys that have more experience with these than I.

When these are pulled from the mold....what kind of finish work is done to the exterior of the stock. Should I be seeing light sanding marks throughout the stock??? Are they more visible because the stock is more black than anything?

There are some gray areas behind the pistol grip where you can see through the molded in colors???

I quess there is no quarantee on what the finished look is going to be like when the mold is poured with the color percentages? This is supposed to be a 50/50 mix, one side looks close. The bolt side....not so hot. Its almost completely black from the bolt inlet forward.

I'm waiting on a return call from Rick, just thought I may get some answers from some experienced guys here on the 'fire. (I'll weed through the smartarse, bashing comments and respond accordingly.) Im pretty disappointed in this stock, but want to hear how other members have had thier orders handled.

Last edited by joshf303; 03/07/12.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
tag

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
My first McMillan came to me all scratched up, and with a void in the forearm down to foam. I sent it back, they fixed the forearm, and must have buffed the stock somehow, because it looked like a new stock.

I think they can buff out the finish, but bet you are stuck with the colors. It can always be painted...

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Am I "it" now?????? smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry that you're not pleased with the stock. Just seems like one of the hazards of going with a McSwirly. Only real remedy would be another lengthy wait for another attempt. To me, it's akin to commissioning a piece of abstract art and paying for it before you can see it.

WAR EAGLE!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd say the sanding marks, fiberglass show-through, and lack of complete color distribution are fairly typical. I've seen all of the same on several of my swirls. The sanding marks do show up more on the dark tones. Larger patches of solid color here and there do happen and both sides don't always match, nor does the front half always look just the same as the back half. Then again, I've had some that were "swirled" quite thouroughly. You never really know how it will turn out, but if you don't like it, there is always paint. McMillan even says so on their website.

Some photos would help your thread also.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Josh, I am no authority, but sounds pretty normal. They can not control the mix as it is laid in by hand which makes each stock a one of a kind. Sometimes you can see through the gel and see the fiberglass matt. You can slick up the finish if you so desire, but a little matte from the sanding is usually not a bad thing. I am sure others will chime in. Rest assurd however, the stock will be Marine tough.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
McSwirlies look like dogcrap anyway, they did you a favor! whistle haha.

I would have them paint it in one of the new granite finishes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have never had a dead animal bitch about one of them..Yeah, some come out better than others..

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN
I have never had a dead animal bitch about one of them..Yeah, some come out better than others..

But don't forget the price nor the waiting after the stock was ordered. Thread ain't about dead animals.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I understand fully. I have had my disappointments also. Should not have got off tract.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Josh,
The sanding marks and minor imperfections are quite typical. And, generally, the first gel coat for someone, be it Swirl or Camo, leaves them with that reaction.

Can't help you on the colors etc. That's up to the person doing the color work and their interpretation of the mixes.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sanding marks, inconsistent colors, & graphite cloth showing through the gel-coat is what makes them beautiful - gives each one character!!

As long as there are no voids, chips, or gouges - rock on!!

Last edited by 300MAG; 03/07/12.
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I understand the color distribution issues...and can "live" with that I suppose. Its not what I was looking for. It is no means consistent throughout, which I understand from thier website to be part of the molding process.

Pertaining to the sanding marks. Not only can you see them in the finish, which may be "normal", should they be deep enough around edges of the cheekpiece, forearm tip, and othe edges to SEE GRAY STRIPES from the fiberglass underneath?

Last edited by joshf303; 03/07/12.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The stock you described is fairly typical, I think Mcmillan describes the gel coat as a "utility grade" finish.

If you are unhappy, Rick and Mcmillan will make it right. Both are great to do business with.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rick B. from the Campfire & Ryan M. from McMillan will hook you up - great customer service from both!!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by joshf303

.....(I'll weed through the smartarse, bashing comments and respond accordingly.) .......

As the required smartarse, bashing comment..... You MUST post pictures!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had much the same issues with my McSwirly.

I love the stock but if I had known about the sanding marks I would've saved a few ounces and gotten a painted stock instead.

I will say that Ryan at McM and Rick Bin were totally responsive to my concerns and generously offered to paint the stock at no charge to me.

I'll be getting more but they will be EDGE models from now on.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by SKane
Josh,
The sanding marks and minor imperfections are quite typical. And, generally, the first gel coat for someone, be it Swirl or Camo, leaves them with that reaction.

Can't help you on the colors etc. That's up to the person doing the color work and their interpretation of the mixes.

About right.. I've had some in with quite noticeable sanding marks etc.. As far as color - they really are a 'one-of-a-kind' thing...

Like another said, as long as there's no voids or glaring imperfections, you should be good to go..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds just like all the ones I have gotten. I seem to have better luck with the camo's than the swirlies. The sanding marks can probably be buffed out ...post up some pics...post it in the classifieds and see if you can trade for some thing you like better.
Oh for got to add that if you will perform the "Big Stick" barrel break in procedure then you want notice the sanding marks nearly as much.

Last edited by Oklahoma; 03/07/12.

whistle grin wink cool crazy shocked blush tired sleep

Wipe your mouth, there's still a tiny bit of bullshit around your lips.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1badf350, 1OntarioJim, 257Bob, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 260Remguy, 2500HD, 56 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,904
Posts18,518,553
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.