-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
First off is the worlds crudest stock duplicator. I saw several that were built on this machine.....so I figured it would be worth a try to clean it up and make some chips someday. The router is not pictured, but its included along with a bunch of bits....I will have to spin up stylus'.

[Linked Image]

Next is my new Hermes tx with, near as I can tell, every darn thing you can bolt onto one. Looking at these, this one seems different in that it has a crank to index round parts.

[Linked Image]

This thing is slick. I can write around the outside of a clock.....or muzzle....lol. I tried it on a piece of stock and it would be fun to get it figured out.
[Linked Image]

Here is the pile of "extras" 10 font sets, cutters, a motor, foot switch, extra spindles, bowl and cup adapters.....and a lot of stuff I have no idea what it is.

[Linked Image]

Also pictured is a dc motor setup that I am using for my pressure oiler system for reaming. This was a pretty good weekend, not just because of the tools, bit we shot the heck out of chucks and squirrels too.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I will be the first to admit that I know nothing about the engraver beyond what I read. If anyone has any info that will save me time, trouble or money.....please spill it.

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Craig, I actually got that book with it...I was hoping some of the guys with gobs of experience on these would have some tips. After tossing in a couple fonts and giving it a try.....it seems pretty simple. I do need to work on more depth of cut though. I have a few different diamonds to try.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have the GTX-3ITX and have all of the tooling and 4 sets of fonts. I sold 8 sets of fonts as I never used them. One of my real good elderly friends was the SW sales mgr. for New Hermes. He sold a lot of used units to some of my gunsmith buddies. Carl helped me some, but I just had to play until I was comfortable with it.Looks like you have about $4000 worth of New Hermes stuff at used prices.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks butch, I had searched for a couple years to find one and had a few deals fall apart. I had a 500 mile road trip for this one, but I got the duplicator and some chuck shooting in too. I am glad I waited.

Should the diamonds feel sharp? I have two and neither is sharp. They make nice lines, bit not as deep as some I have seen.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
To be honest I have never felt the points on mine. I don't believe they make very deep lines, mine don't. With the motor and the carbide bits it cuts a nice deep letter, but it won't cut on a radius. I'm speaking of a barrel. You need to make a vee block fixture that fits on the dowell pins on the vise to hols the barrel. You will also need something to hold the other end of the barrel while engraving it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 3,168 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,354
Posts18,487,934
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.