Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by hunter1960
Took sometime earlier today and pulled up the USFS Natl. forests that I'm familiar with on the Westside of the Cascades in both Or. & Wa. looking at the timber sales and bid price breakdowns.

It sure isn't like it was 30 years ago regarding the number of sales and the bids accepted are very high versus market price available.

For those that aren't aware, I know that you are Ringman, that Fed. timber can't be exported, unless things have changed in the last number of years, it can be manufactured into a finished product and then exported.

The higher market is for export logs. I noticed that on some sales, no bids were submitted or accepted, I figure probably due to cost of logging versus return at the mill, along with the USFS wanting a higher bid.

I can really see how this loss of timber sales revenue has really hurt some timber dependant counties in WA. state that I'm familiar with, this from slow Fed. timber sales.

to attempt to make sense of things now, even in one agency would likely cause one to pull their hair out if taken seriously enough.

besides the various brands or flavors of recreationists, there's the loggers, sawmills, small towns, endangered species, bureaucratic turf wars, and changing social values. self-interest runs amuck with our federal lands of all brands and persuasions. truly, they all belong to the people, but that don't mean much unless you choose to purchase the correct permit.

i sense a lot of responsible bureaucrats in those various agencies feel they are under attack from nearly everyone, in and out of gov't.

and, btw, let's don't leave out the BLM, and the Fish & Wildlife Service. they together control vast acreages of land. it's not just a FS or NPS dance.

meanwhile, back in the mega-cities, we have a vastly under re-created populance. outdoor recreation inspires. Recreation, tmbr production, water resources, and wildlife resources, all can be managed with sufficient negotiation. when failures can occur, it might include mining, drilling, and and related processing? i don't know, but i'll bet you every single citizen, with proper id, has an opinion. wink

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 257wby
Both agencies seem to have assumed the attitude that the lands they administer belong to them. I don't believe I would eliminate the agencies, but I would eliminate the executives and install a culture where the services would help the public utilize the land to it's maximum potential.

well said and to the point...short and sweet.,..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

286 members (22kHornet, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 257robertsimp, 06hunter59, 257 roberts, 29 invisible), 1,340 guests, and 970 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,094
Posts18,522,176
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.