Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S-T-I-H-L

there is no way your going to beat the dealership network, if you ever did need a part.

And there is no way your going to beat the overall quality.

My current first go-to saws are a MS-660 and an MS-361 with simple performance modifications. (open up the muffler a little)

Running 16" - 36" bars there is not much you can imagine that your can't get done in short order.

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Poulan's are for people that really don't want a chainsaw...
Mine went in the trash years ago

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cossatotjoe_redux
Poulans are made in Nashville, Arkansas. They make Craftsman, Poulans, some Huskys, and another brand or two I can't remember in the same plant.

They are allegedly made to different standards depending upon the price point and specs of the different brands.
This...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by jnyork
Repeat after me: S-T-I-H-L. smile

Stihl and huskies are good saws but until you spend the big bucks to go with their professional lines you are getting things like plastic crankcases and the cylinder sleeves are held in place with plastic tabs. My Dolmar is the same size as the Stihl Farmboss but is professional grade all the way through with a real steel crankcase. It is also lighter, higher RPM and torque. So to go with the better made Pro quality saw I paid $40 more that the Farmboss.

Give them a look and you will not be sorry. I just cannot see spending $400 on Husky or Stihl and getting way less valye.
Yes. The only thing I don't like about Dolmars is they ain't made here, as far as I know. My Dolmar is my Dad's old one that he got over thirty years ago. Before that it was a litany of David Bradley's, Homelite and McCulloch stuff that just wasn't much good. The Sachs was the first "real" chainsaw we had and it was a cutting mofo. For many years it laid up in the shed because some dufus at the small engine place said it wasn't worth fixing. Then here two or three years back I taken it down to a friend of mine who is now working on stuff, sharpening saws, etc. He got it up and running pretty good. It is a bit hard to keep idling, but is fine for a backup saw to my ten-year-old Husky. Between them I can do some cutting, let me assure you. Now I've got the little Poulan too and I expect it will be okay for the very limited use I have planned for it.

The thing I like about Sachs is that with Husky and Stihl you've got all these different grades of saws to wade through with one made here and one there, etc. Sachs just makes different hp saws with different sized bars, etc. As far as I know, they're all professional grade, so I don't have to worry about quality between models. Just choose your power and bar and you're gtg with Sachs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've run Poulans, their most basic 16" bar models for over 25 years. The first couple were grey versions sold under the Sears trademark. They are what they are for only $100 and a few more even today.

Over that time I upgraded to a 'real' chainsaw, an 036 Stihl. I thought it would be useful when we began working on this cabin:

[Linked Image]

It's three-side log construction. (That means every log is ripped and edged. Many people use a mill to do it.) The Stihl pooped after the first log. I used the little Poulan, knowing it wouldn't last long. Over two summers, the Poulan ripped and edged every remaining log in the structure.

I don't understand people who badmouth Poulans but proclaim low end better names to be better values. Poulans aren't great saws. Two identical models may have different quirks, but starting and running has never been an issue for me in running over half a dozen of them. I intentionally buy them for the lack of investment involved. Mostly they are used for getting firewood. That involves either sleds or boats. I don't really care to pound an investment grade chainsaw on a heavy wood-hauling sled over our usually rough winter trails, or subject it to seawater that blows over the bow and sloshes over everything. Cheap chainsaws are perfect for this type of use. The most basic Poulans have been very serviceable. Are they what I prefer for reducing the log pile to chunks? No, but they can do it.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shindaiwa.....is a real saw. #488.....a good tool should last a lifetime.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If you buy one at wall mart you will get junk. If you buy a profesional one at a farm dealer it will be the best one you ever had. the lite ones are no better than the other lite weight junk wall mart sells.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the one I built that cabin with was a 'reconditioned' item purchased through Sportsman's Guide. Mostly I just buy through Walmart or Amazon. Perhaps I've been lucky, or perhaps I am simply gifted to be smarter than the tools I use. wink A Poulan would be perfect for smoker wood/fire pit details.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Poulan is crap, go with a Stihl or Husky. My Poulan didn't last me 1/2 a season before it died on me. I'm going on my 3rd season with my Husky 353 and all i've done is replace the chain on it.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought one about 15 years ago for a camp saw when I was on a very tight budget. Didn't want something expensive sitting in the bed of the truck, and just didn't need much for collecting camp wood / truck saw. It has bounced around the back of the truck for god only knows how many miles, and collected many a cord of camp wood. Paid $100 for it. I think I got my money out of it! Never had a single problem with it outside of the occassional stubborn starting streak when it was hot out and after it had run a while and then shut down.

Am looking at replacing it this year. It served me well, but I do plan on upgrading to a more "serious" saw this time.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
And I have a $29 Tasco Whitetail Hunter on my .300 Win Mag..It just won't break so I can put a proper scope on it..

My point being,there is a reason that most loggers use Stihl chainsaws on the landing..It is where the most abuse occurs and the least experienced using them.

I have the small Poulan and the small Stihl along with 3 other Stihls..I can take my baby Stihl and cut cords of wood,and I have..The Poulan gets yard work only.

My choice for falling timber on my own is and has always been the Husky.I had two new Huskies and a Stihl back-up.I sold the Huskies and now only have 4 Stihls.

A Poulan will be either an ecxceptable saw or your worst headache,mostly the latter in my experience.

Jayco

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got one as a gift two years ago. I am not a logger or even a good tree man. Don't want to be and my health would not even begin to allow for such a thing. For what I need it to do i.e. cutting some firewood for camping and deer or elk camp a couple of times per year it does fine. Don't need more or better for this use, kind of like the Bushnell scope on my 22WMR rifle. Would not put that piece of junk scope on my serious big game guns but for gopher blasting it is quite nice. Wouldn't take a Poulan chainsaw out for a day of tree felling or topping etc but for what it is designed to do and be it is fine. Mine has started easily so far, but I keep a can of Ether around at all times for ANY reluctant motors.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My 028 SuperWoodBoss is going into it's 24th year of keeping us warm and cozy all winter and our drive\road through the woods clear. Bought it new @ $349.00
I have purchased 3 fuel filters and one air filter over the past 23+ years for it. It has never seen the inside of a repair shop.

FJB & FJT
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That older Stihl will probably last you your lifetime. The newer ones will not.

I expect my new Dolmar will last me my lifetime but then I am 62 so that may be cheating. wink

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ST40
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Heck for a middle of the road saw that won't cost a lot I'd prefer a Craftsman over Poulan any day.
Craftsman saws and Poulan saws are one and the same. Craftsman is made by Poulan.

Intersting! I got lucky 15yrs ago I guess because my Craftsman has never missed a beat. I dropped a 100'+ 40" diameter fir in a pinch about 14yrs ago with it.

Stihl is my go to saw and has been for some time.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Come on over, I will convert you. grin

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I am not to keen on the newer Stihls. Bought a nice used 021 couple years back when my son was old enough to start helping. I know it is a smaller saw, but it just isn't the same in other respects either.

FJB & FJT
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Having worked near the industry for a number of years I have watched the progression of saws ht the top of the list and then slide down the line. I remember when the McCulloch was the bull of the woods and considered the best Pro saw then have it drop to near the bottom. I have not seen a new one for years. It is the same with the Stihl and Huskies. They were the top and then the been counters start demanding cuts in cost and down they go. The both make good saws in the Pro line but the average home owner wood burner will never pay the big dollars for the pro series and thus he will buy a inferior saw. You have an older one, keep it and spent the bucks to keep it in good shape. Only feed it mid octane gas for Chevron or Shell, use a goos 2 cycle oil and always run Seafoam. They will last. I also recommend a saw tool box wit at least one extra chain. File to keep it harp, spare spark plug and air filter, bar grease gun, plastic falling wedges, and gloves. Then you will be ready to go.

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I bought a Poulan in 2000 and fought starting it for about 3 years untill it finaly wouldn't start. I bought a small Huskvarna from Farm & Fleet. Great saw. I just wish I had bought a Huskvarna to begin with. No more Poulan for me.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Scott F
Come on over, I will convert you. grin

Ouch that sounds like work. grin

I'd love to bring the family over and have the privledge of meeting your beautiful crew. Hopefully this summer we'll make it work. Right now we're getting ready to take the kids on a disney cruise, then my sweety and I are taking a four night jaunt to Vegas then going up to Vancouver Island to my pards beach cabin then over to the Cliff House on Whidbey (where we were married), football camp and then football 6 days a week, etc...etc. We like to stay busy and travel...expose the kids to the world and open doors to new friendships. I look forward to meeting you all and will make it happen.

I also had a great laugh over my morning joe with your post about the Gal from Boulder. Good stuff my friend!

Be back a little later...taking my bride out for a seafood cobb salad.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,292
Posts18,525,764
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.