Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Austin ain't that bad. There are crazies everywhere, the difference is that Austin is just proud of their crazies.

Depending on where in town you work you can commute 40 minutes and live amongst all the backwards white trash you desire. I'm starting to prefer mellow hippies to methed out honkeys with broke down cars in the yard. YMMV

You're a regular Chamber of Commerce!

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do what I can.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks guys! They both have different things to offer. I just put in for a transfer/promotion to both areas. It just depends on which way the wind blows now. Can't wait to leave CA. It's beutiful here. Too bad it's so hostile to my lifestyle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I was working with defense contractors in the SF bay area Lockheed moved a lot of people to Austin, the people I know that went there absolutely loved the change of lifestyle, it was a boom town then, there should be lots of houses available. I've heard nothing but good things about it, of course it is Texas. grin

The major difference between belief and fact is those who believe something have come to a conclusion no facts will contradict. Well informed people are open to new facts that oppose their beliefs. That also defines an open and closed mind.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 243WSSM
I've heard nothing but good things about it, of course it is Texas. grin

High heat, Chiggers, really hot, big snakes, and did I mention it can get hot there.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hear that Spokane is the conservative side of Washington. Austin is the San Francisco of Texas.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green
I hear that Spokane is the conservative side of Washington. Austin is the San Francisco of Texas.

yep.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
All three locations SUCK!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Can't speak to the hunting near Spokane but have driven through that region a few times.

Geographically, you are close to an immense variety of topography and scenery...

Desert, just to the west and south.
Coeur d' Alene, ID area is neat and just over the border.
Glacier National Park, is a few hours NE.
Seattle (for a big city is cool) and the coast, are doable 3 day long weekend trips.

Good luck on your outcome. smile

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I'd move somewhere other than CA before moving to the PNW so I could say I was from anywhere but CA!!!

Spo-Compton / Spok-Angeles is not bad grin

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Montana has sheep too, but they use them for something different.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I was born in Pullman and live in Austin. Hands down eastern Washington if you like the outdoors! I wouldn't stay here if I wasn't making $$. Texas is crowded and the hunting is expensive and public land is almost nonexistent. If I could change one thing about Austin it would be the allergies. Something blooms big time here 10 months out of the year and even if you have a small allergy it will turn into a big one. The summers are pretty miserable too but the winters in Spokane aren't fun either.

Last edited by DP4; 03/15/12.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Its more than just hunting to think about.

Only been to the Spokane area just once; rode a motorcycle from College Station to Flathead Lake via Moscow ID.

Texas is not a particularly attractive state, the Hill Country is pretty but you can actually get off of the road and walk on very little of it. Same is true of almost all of Texas, even though its as big as it is. And Texas is big, by the time I crossed out of the State up by Clayton NM I was more than half-way to Northern Idaho.

What public land there is in Texas, at least half of that has to be Big Bend and Guadalupe Mountains National Parks way out in West Texas maybe eight hours west of Austin.

Far and away our best wilderness is the Gulf Coast and Padre Island and the coastal/inshore fishing therein, but nobody rails about the natural beauty of the Gulf Coast either.

What I recall from Northern Idaho/Montana is the vast scenic sweep of the whole area, miles and miles of drop-dead gorgeous scenery. So pretty that I didn't actually go on up to Glacier as intended, I had seen so much beauty in the area already I saved Glacier for another time.

Coming north from Boise to McCall, my impression was that you'd wear out the sides of your tires sooner than the middle, so winding were the highways. Then the vast sweep of golden wheat fields in the Nez Perce country, finally the awesome Snake River Canyon and the long climb to Moscow north of Lewiston.

Your land access to Texas, whether on a postage stamp of public land, or on a lease on a paid-for hunt behind tall fences, is gonna be limited under the best of circumstance. If you can find a place to hike as much as ten miles, its probably going to be in a circle inside fence lines.

I dunno, but I expect I could find miles and miles of free-access wild country all over Northern Idaho and Washington State, plus four seasons of activity. And bear in mind that Austin is 250 miles from the Coast at Corpus, I aint looked but that far or close to it from Spokane might get you clear to the Pacific.

So, throw in the one-day drive west to the Pacific (which I didn't do) or east to Montana and Texas ain't even in the same ballpark.

Depends what you wanna do outside I'd guess.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Grew up on the wet side of Washington, always liked the East side. Spokane has fishing, upland birds, muleys, rockchucks, all less than an hour from town. They even have moose up by the Canadian border. The winters are cold and grey, but Spring, Summer, and Fall are great.

Failure's always an option
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,432
Posts18,507,574
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.