-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's one of those posts you gotta print and read on the schitter...

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Azshooter
Lots of good information in your one post, Boxer....thanks.

+1

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Except that the A-max bullets (or boolits, for the phonetically challenged)appear to have relatively long bearing surfaces. For instance, the 140 A-Max in 6.5mm has a bearing surface which is approximately .560" long. In comparison, the Sieera 142 is about .490.
When I built my first 6.5x55 "F" class rifle, I throated it to accomodate the 142 Sierra seated to about .010 ahead of the neck/shoulder juncture. In this case, it was important to keep the bullet (I will continue to use this alternate spelling to represent the rifle projectile, eschewing the popular "boolit" as improper)ahead of the neck/shoulder juncture since this rifle had a tight-necked chamber and neck turning was required. This aspect of the rifle chamber was a holdover from my old BR days and I now consider it to not be of any real benefit BTW.
At one point, I was having a little trouble getting the Sierras so I decided to try some A-Max bullets since they were readily available to me. I found that they needed to be seated to the point that they extended past the neck/shoulder juncture. This meant that the ring (donut) which inevitably formed at the base if the neck, interfered with the bullet. This resulted in variable bullet pull and vertical groups. So I extended the throat by roughly .060" and the problem was solved. A-max's now shoot just fine. The Sierras now have to seated out further to contact the lands but the neck is long enough to allow this.
If I was not neck turning (and on the next barrel, I won't be!), the necessity to stay ahead of the neck/ shoulder juncture would not exist.
Now, all of this applied to a match rifle which is always loaded singly so magazine length was of no consequence. If it had been, it would still have made sense to throat to accomodate the bullet which had the greatest amount of exposed bearing surface. The difference is that in the first case, the location of the base of the bullet determined cartridge and hence, throat length. In the second case, the location of the point of the bullet, mandated by available magazine length, determined overall length.
The 264 Winchester was an example of a rifle being built around one bullet but with some compromise. The 264 was, in reality, built around the 100 grain bullet and was throated short. Consequently, in order for the rifle to accept a 140 grain bullet seated to a decent overall length, the bullet had to be made in a "two diameter" style to fit the short throat. If the rifles had been throated to accept a properly seated 140 (the right way to go IMO), the 100 grain bullet might have had to be seated too shallowly to be held well in the neck in order to shoot well.
In the end, it will usually turn out that a rifle wich has a straight, concentric chamber, with a throat of a diameter which is no more than .0005" over nominal bullet diameter will be remarkably tolerant of bullet length or configuration. This being the case, there is little need to build a rifle around a single bullet. Versatility is always better than the alternative. GD

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Thanks for taking the time to post that.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by greydog
Except that the A-max bullets (or boolits, for the phonetically challenged)appear to have relatively long bearing surfaces. For instance, the 140 A-Max in 6.5mm has a bearing surface which is approximately .560" long. In comparison, the Sieera 142 is about .490.
When I built my first 6.5x55 "F" class rifle, I throated it to accomodate the 142 Sierra seated to about .010 ahead of the neck/shoulder juncture. In this case, it was important to keep the bullet (I will continue to use this alternate spelling to represent the rifle projectile, eschewing the popular "boolit" as improper)ahead of the neck/shoulder juncture since this rifle had a tight-necked chamber and neck turning was required. This aspect of the rifle chamber was a holdover from my old BR days and I now consider it to not be of any real benefit BTW.
At one point, I was having a little trouble getting the Sierras so I decided to try some A-Max bullets since they were readily available to me. I found that they needed to be seated to the point that they extended past the neck/shoulder juncture. This meant that the ring (donut) which inevitably formed at the base if the neck, interfered with the bullet. This resulted in variable bullet pull and vertical groups. So I extended the throat by roughly .060" and the problem was solved. A-max's now shoot just fine. The Sierras now have to seated out further to contact the lands but the neck is long enough to allow this.
If I was not neck turning (and on the next barrel, I won't be!), the necessity to stay ahead of the neck/ shoulder juncture would not exist.
Now, all of this applied to a match rifle which is always loaded singly so magazine length was of no consequence. If it had been, it would still have made sense to throat to accomodate the bullet which had the greatest amount of exposed bearing surface. The difference is that in the first case, the location of the base of the bullet determined cartridge and hence, throat length. In the second case, the location of the point of the bullet, mandated by available magazine length, determined overall length.
The 264 Winchester was an example of a rifle being built around one bullet but with some compromise. The 264 was, in reality, built around the 100 grain bullet and was throated short. Consequently, in order for the rifle to accept a 140 grain bullet seated to a decent overall length, the bullet had to be made in a "two diameter" style to fit the short throat. If the rifles had been throated to accept a properly seated 140 (the right way to go IMO), the 100 grain bullet might have had to be seated too shallowly to be held well in the neck in order to shoot well.
In the end, it will usually turn out that a rifle wich has a straight, concentric chamber, with a throat of a diameter which is no more than .0005" over nominal bullet diameter will be remarkably tolerant of bullet length or configuration. This being the case, there is little need to build a rifle around a single bullet. Versatility is always better than the alternative. GD

264Win's suck ass...always have.

If forced to slum a 6.5,it'd be a handy/dandy 260 or 260AI in an OEM blind mag,set up to whistle the Hornie 123.

Though luckily,I've yet to lose a bet of that size.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i love mine... allot! still working with the 7 and will make my decision after a little time behind the trigger...

I can't spell... Deal with it...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Boxer

I've read it here numerous times,how the perception by those who shoot little to none(the Jeff-O's of the World),is that to make a VLD sing(and the 162 in particular) you gotta go to a long throat...which is of course folly.

I NEVER said that; I was simply doing my homework because the two bullets I planned to try first in my 7WSM have an ogive location that differs by almost a full tenth of an inch, if memory serves. In FACT I throated my WSM as short as they could do it.

I shot all the time before I got hurt. Thousands of rounds of centerfire rifle a year. I hope to again as I'm able.

Don't be a dumbphuck.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Rich: as a humerous aside, I remember reading a tale of a guy who SO wanted his rifle to shoot one bullet (an X or TSX as it happens) that he had it throated & twisted just so, and then went so far as to have the barrel stamped for that bullet... Like "30-06 Sprg, 165 TSX" or something like that.

Problem was, the rifle just plain hated that bullet or at least fell far short of his expectations.

Maybe someone else will remember the particulars.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 03/14/12.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

I've read it here numerous times,how the perception by those who shoot little to none(the Jeff-O's of the World),is that to make a VLD sing(and the 162 in particular) you gotta go to a long throat...which is of course folly.

I NEVER said that; I was simply doing my homework because the two bullets I planned to try first in my 7WSM have an ogive location that differs by almost a full tenth of an inch, if memory serves. In FACT I throated my WSM as short as they could do it.

I shot all the time before I got hurt. Thousands of rounds of centerfire rifle a year. I hope to again as I'm able.

Don't be a dumbphuck.

You were/are talking out your ass,as per your usual and are perpetually sooooo full of [bleep] schit,that you can't begin to recall how you spun the yarn(s). I always get a [bleep] kick out of you "telling" me stuff!

Oh how I enjoy that Stupidity isn't an Act,for you.

Wow.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by greydog

+10

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Rich: as a humerous aside, I remember reading a tale of a guy who SO wanted his rifle to shoot one bullet (an X or TSX as it happens) that he had it throated & twisted just so, and then went so far as to have the barrel stamped for that bullet... Like "30-06 Sprg, 165 TSX" or something like that.

Problem was, the rifle just plain hated that bullet or at least fell far short of his expectations.

Good info. Thanks for posting this.

Travis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another "email post" worthy contribution. Thx.

WAR EAGLE!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Don't be a dumbphuck.

You were/are talking out your ass,as per your usual and are perpetually sooooo full of [bleep] schit,that you can't begin to recall how you spun the yarn(s). I always get a [bleep] kick out of you "telling" me stuff!

Oh how I enjoy that Stupidity isn't an Act,for you.

Wow.

You are simply wrong.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
It's always a pleasure,to watch you take Stupidity to places it's never been before. The ease in which you convince yourself,that you "know" what the [bleep] you are talking about...is the longest running of Internet Jokes!

You are the only [bleep] idiot I've ever seen or heard of,who will talk "in depth",about boolits she's never seen,shot or got and then try to pawn the Imagination off as being "credible".

Holster your Imagination,put the brakes on Pretend,take notes and apply same. Rattle your tin cup in just the right fashion and someone just might find the humor sufficient,to flip you some gratis boolits...so you can FINALLY see what the [bleep] you have been "talking" about for sooooooooooooo long.

You are easily the dumbest sonofabitch to ever tickle a keyboard and that you are always doing your best,only sweetens the [bleep] pot.

Wow.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I say build a rifle and then find a bullet that works. I never could figure what shooting a knat off of an elks ass at 500 yds has to do with hunting?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's always a pleasure,to watch you take Stupidity to places it's never been before. The ease in which you convince yourself,that you "know" what the [bleep] you are talking about...is the longest running of Internet Jokes!

You are the only [bleep] idiot I've ever seen or heard of,who will talk "in depth",about boolits she's never seen,shot or got and then try to pawn the Imagination off as being "credible".

Holster your Imagination,put the brakes on Pretend,take notes and apply same. Rattle your tin cup in just the right fashion and someone just might find the humor sufficient,to flip you some gratis boolits...so you can FINALLY see what the [bleep] you have been "talking" about for sooooooooooooo long.

You are easily the dumbest sonofabitch to ever tickle a keyboard and that you are always doing your best,only sweetens the [bleep] pot.

Wow.

Cutting to the chase, I went and looked at the thread you were talking about and again, you are quite simply wrong. My memory is FUBAR right now; I wanted to be sure.

By the way- YOU are the biggest joke on the outdoors internet. Just sayin'. wink

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Boxer can try all he wants. He'll never trump this literary work of art.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i'm set aback by the magnitude of that piece of work!

I can't spell... Deal with it...
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I love abstract information. It's like art, but different...

Travis

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Wow.

Cutting to the chase, I went and looked at the thread you were talking about and again, you are quite simply wrong. My memory is FUBAR right now; I wanted to be sure.

By the way- YOU are the biggest joke on the outdoors internet. Just sayin'. wink

Curiously enough,I've never hinted to a Thread,yet alone cited one...though I enjoy that your Imagination has allowed you to Pretend that I did.

I'm afforded the luxury of not being forced to guess and get quite a kick out of the [bleep] fact,that guessing is all that you can do as a best case scenario(none of which is pretty). Poignant that you felt compelled to frost the cake by citing: "I was simply doing my homework because the two bullets I planned to try first in my 7WSM have an ogive location that differs by almost a full tenth of an inch, if memory serves. In FACT I throated my WSM as short as they could do it.". Do tell about boolit/throat/COAL "particulars"...as only you can. Then fuel the folly with a tidbit upon your "findings" in regards to the 162 in particular,as applied to Game,via "all" of your "pursuits" and wax poetically upon those "findings" generated in the "first hand" via your "vast" "experience" from "all" that shooting you "do". I'm [bleep] crying,I'm laughing so hard!

The only way this Thread could get any [bleep] better,is if Wyoming Whimper changed her handle to (Irodeacock) and used the handle backwards,if only to keep the closet from bursting at the seams.

Wow.

Shod,

The less you know about particulars,the less particulars matter and I applaud your bringing the crux full circle,if only obliviously. I for one,happily await the rifle that was "too accurate" for my tastes and with a boolit that killed "too dead",but rest assured I'm still trying to arrange same.

As per always,spent primers are THE supreme Tutorial.

Hint.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (300_savage, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 1badf350, 338reddog, 17 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 836 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,806
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.