Hop To
Page 6 of 33 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 32 33
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

So, a past curator of the British Museum is FOS? He said he didn't [bleep]' have any. I guess you had 'em hid out.

Imagine Red on the 70's show.....

"DUMBASS!"

Chill out.

You can disagree and debate without calling someone a dumbass or dropping "PH" bombs every 2 seconds. Cant you? Not very Christian of you.

Doesnt the Book say something about how to treat people?

That schit don't work with me, I play by your rules.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What religion do you want to talk about.I was a geology major so I see things on that time scale.I do understand your question.It comes from the first book of the Tora.If a person reads it and assumes a few things he can come up with that number.Its not what it says.You see it only says "in the beginning" it does not say when that was.Now if you read most english bibles say it was void and without form.The problem is the word was.Let me give an example-I saw Nagasaki and it was void and without form.Ya see it had become that way not created that way.I dont do 6000 years.

God tells us in the very first verse and hte earth was without form and void. IF it became without form and void, then Adam and Eve became naked because the same word is used to describe both. They weren't created naked. Also Satan became the craftiest of the creatures becaue he was not created that way. The Word actually is quite simple if one does not try to apply a bunch of 18th and 19th century theories.

There is a little tid-bit that The Creator God wrote with His Own finger in stone about the creation. He came to Moses and wrote that He created Heaven and earth and the sea and everything in them in six days and rested on the seventh day. Therefore they were to work for six days and rest on the seventh day.

How is it that so many don't believe God is able to communicate?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

You play by whatever rules are convenient for you and suit your personal preferences. Which is to say, you make a lousy christian.

You also make for a lousy defender of the anti's cause. Quit digging the hole you are in. It's deeper than you can possible understand.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Go on. Elaborate. You know me from a hole in the wall. Please do tell me "my" rules.

The nasty anger that spews from the mouths of those who espouse the Lord is disappointing.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yea, lot of 'smart' [bleep] are digging themselves a hole to he'll.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
A thread like this is a terrific opportunity to walk the talk.

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by BrentD
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Really? You see no difference between a religion telling you the world is 6000 years old and evolutionary theory?

Both are demonstrably faith-based.

Demonstrably? Please so demonstrate how evolutionary biology is faith based?

I'm still waiting on someone to show me the math how genetics + genetic variation cannot equal evolution. Seems to be no takers.

Not sure what version of evolution you believe in for sure. But, belief that a scale became a feather doesn't that require a measure of faith? Perhaps not to you. But to me it does.

As to your math problem....
Since mathematical values of some sort need to be assigned to those words, breaking it down to it's most rudimentary level will be to utilize the values of the letters.

Equating those letters with the corresponding numbers based on the alphabet, IBIOTTCO that:

genetics.......=80
genetic........=61
variation......=109
Sum............=250

evolution......=132

Therefore genetics + genetic variation > evolution
Thus proving intelligent design. smile

Steve

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
fish

Bird

Getting Hungry now

Did you know there are birds that have some of the same features as your "misssing link" like claws on the wings. Just because it had teeth tells us nothing. Some mammals have teeth and some don't. Some fish have teeth and some don't. Some retiles have teeth and some don't. Some amfibians have teeth and some don't. I guess if we include the Vanician Fly Trap even some plants have teeth.

What do we learn from this? Some don't learn anything but others learn some fauna have teeth and some don't.

Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Steven_CO
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Really? You see no difference between a religion telling you the world is 6000 years old and evolutionary theory?

Both are demonstrably faith-based.

Demonstrably? Please so demonstrate how evolutionary biology is faith based?

I'm still waiting on someone to show me the math how genetics + genetic variation cannot equal evolution. Seems to be no takers.

Not sure what version of evolution you believe in for sure. But, belief that a scale became a feather doesn't that require a measure of faith? Perhaps not to you. But to me it does.

As to your math problem....
Since mathematical values of some sort need to be assigned to those words, breaking it down to it's most rudimentary level will be to utilize the values of the letters.

Equating those letters with the corresponding numbers based on the alphabet, IBIOTTCO that:

genetics.......=80
genetic........=61
variation......=109
Sum............=250

evolution......=132

Therefore genetics + genetic variation > evolution
Thus proving intelligent design. smile

Now, that is a HOOT!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the laugh, though I hesitate to do so at your expense. It does, however, prove you don't understand the notion of proof.

BTW, I don't believe in evolution, I understand it and accept that it has to happen because it cannot be otherwise. The simple pair of facts that I listed and which even you have to accept, make it impossible that evolution cannot happen w/o devine intervention. I'm looking for how you prove that this has happened.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The nasty anger that spews from the mouths of those who espouse the Lord is disappointing.

"Christians" always have been the greatest deterrent to Christianity. They still are.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Ringman
... I guess if we include the Vanician Fly Trap even some plants have teeth.

What do we learn from this? Some don't learn anything but others learn some fauna have teeth and some don't.

I've read plenty of your posts and you are clearly no dope. Venus fly trap dont have teeth. They have extensions of the leaf which resemble what some people may think should be called teeth. Its the same tissue as the leaf. Teeth arent the same tissue as jaw or gum.

Noun:
1) Each of a set of hard, bony enamel-coated structures in the jaws of most vertebrates, used for biting and chewing.
2) A similar hard, pointed structure in invertebrate animals, typically functioning in the mechanical breakdown of food.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by antlers

"Christians" always have been the greatest deterrent to Christianity. They still are.

While that is certainly true for most, I'd exclude Ringman from that group. I couldn't disagree with him more but he is a gentleman about it. The rest of em? Well, nasty bunch for sure.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Ringman

Did you know there are birds that have some of the same features as your "misssing link" like claws on the wings. Just because it had teeth tells us nothing. Some mammals have teeth and some don't. Some fish have teeth and some don't. Some retiles have teeth and some don't. Some amfibians have teeth and some don't. I guess if we include the Vanician Fly Trap even some plants have teeth.

Let's follow that line. Did you know that some religions have books that dont state the same things as the books of other religions? Several different books state that they are correct. A contradition.

What do we learn from this? some learn nothing. Others learn that various religions have really old books that state various things.

That aside, its not a feature but a collection of features that leads to a theory that one thing MAY be a link between a prior and a newer species or form.

Arch may or may not be a "link". I dont claim to be an expert. That a mouse (or cat, or ear, or octopus) has teeth isnt germane to the observation or argument that an archaeopteryx does.

* edit. Huh. check out my post count. Creepin me out a little. *

Last edited by Crockettnj; 03/14/12.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Flyfast

Lots has happened since W & C you know. Rather lots.

But in the meantime, alien DNA or not, you are good with the 30 million (+/- 20 million) species evolving from this bit of alien DNA? Cool. You stand out from this crowd of antis.

No, I think that is BULLSCHIT as well. Miller-Urey notwithstanding, the entire evolution enterprise is a [bleep] fraud, it always has been.

THERE ARE NO TRANSITIONAL FOSSILS, NONE. Darwin predicted they would be found, they obstinantly refuse to turn up.

You're right a lot has been learned about the cell since the 50's, it is a LOT more complicated than even they thought at the time. This means it is even less probable/possible for mankind to have ever crawled out of the slime.

It never happened dude. You figure out what your alternative belief system should be. I already have.

There are thousands, if not tens of thousands, of transitional fossils that have been found.

So, a past curator of the British Museum is FOS? He said he didn't [bleep]' have any. I guess you had 'em hid out.

"DUMBASS!"

Actually, you may want to read what Patterson actually had to say; you're apparently reading part of what he wrote, but missing the next sentence; he's actually expounding on why he won't say Archaeopteryx is the ancestor of all birds, because it might be a cousin species to Archaeopteryx.

Here's what he actually had to say on transitional fossils:
"In several animal and plant groups, enough fossils are known to bridge the wide gaps between existing types. In mammals, for example, the gap between horses, asses and zebras (genus Equus) and their closest living relatives, the rhinoceroses and tapirs, is filled by an extensive series of fossils extending back sixty-million years to a small animal, Hyracotherium, which can only be distinguished from the rhinoceros-tapir group by one or two horse-like details of the skull. There are many other examples of fossil 'missing links', such as Archaeopteryx, the Jurassic bird which links birds with dinosaurs (Fig. 45), and Ichthyostega, the late Devonian amphibian which links land vertebrates and the extinct choanate (having internal nostrils) fishes ..."

Red's on the phone. He wants to talk to you.

Murphy was an optimist.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by billhilly
I'd exclude Ringman from that group. I couldn't disagree with him more but he is a gentleman about it.

I have read a bunch of his posts and he is no dolt by a very wide margin and isnt often crass.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Flyfast

Lots has happened since W & C you know. Rather lots.

But in the meantime, alien DNA or not, you are good with the 30 million (+/- 20 million) species evolving from this bit of alien DNA? Cool. You stand out from this crowd of antis.

No, I think that is BULLSCHIT as well. Miller-Urey notwithstanding, the entire evolution enterprise is a [bleep] fraud, it always has been.

THERE ARE NO TRANSITIONAL FOSSILS, NONE. Darwin predicted they would be found, they obstinantly refuse to turn up.

You're right a lot has been learned about the cell since the 50's, it is a LOT more complicated than even they thought at the time. This means it is even less probable/possible for mankind to have ever crawled out of the slime.

It never happened dude. You figure out what your alternative belief system should be. I already have.

There are thousands, if not tens of thousands, of transitional fossils that have been found.

"DUMBASS!"

I couldn't stay away, I had to hear what Take_A_ Knee had come up when he was standing around thinking and scratching his balls, maybe even wondering why he had a seam on his scrotum. (Reference to an earlier thread).

Here's the past curator of the British Museum of Natural History.

Dr. Colin Patterson, senior paleontologist at the British Museum of Natural History.

I decided to get to the bottom of the matter. The quote is from a personal letter dated 10th April 1979 from Dr. Patterson to creationist Luther D. Sunderland and is referring to Dr. Patterson's book "Evolution" (1978, Routledge & Kegan Paul Ltd.). My first step was to read the book. (I believe it is now out of print, but most university libraries should have a copy.) Anyone who has actually read the book can hardly say that Patterson believed in the absence of transitional forms. For example (p131-133):

"In several animal and plant groups, enough fossils are known to bridge the wide gaps between existing types. In mammals, for example, the gap between horses, asses and zebras (genus Equus) and their closest living relatives, the rhinoceroses and tapirs, is filled by an extensive series of fossils extending back sixty-million years to a small animal, Hyracotherium, which can only be distinguished from the rhinoceros-tapir group by one or two horse-like details of the skull. There are many other examples of fossil 'missing links', such as Archaeopteryx, the Jurassic bird which links birds with dinosaurs (Fig. 45), and Ichthyostega, the late Devonian amphibian which links land vertebrates and the extinct choanate (having internal nostrils) fishes. . ."
Patterson goes on to acknowledge that there are gaps in the fossil record, but points out that this is possibly due to the limitations of what fossils can tell us. He finishes the paragraph with:

". . .Fossils may tell us many things, but one thing they can never disclose is whether they were ancestors of anything else."
It is actually this statement which is the key to interpreting the Sunderland quote correctly; it is not possible to say for certain whether a fossil is in the direct ancestral line of a species group. Archaeopteryx, for example, is not necessarily directly ancestral to birds. It may have been a species on a side-branch. However, that in no way disqualifies it as a transitional form, or as evidence for evolution. Evolution predicts that such fossils will exist, and if there was no link between reptiles and birds then Archaeopteryx would not exist, whether it is directly ancestral or not. What Patterson was saying to Sunderland was that, of the transitional forms that are known, he could not make a watertight argument for any being directly ancestral to living species groups.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/patterson.html

" He who refuses to do the arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense" John McCarthy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Crockettnj,

I've read plenty of your posts and you are clearly no dope. Venus fly trap dont have teeth. They have extensions of the leaf which resemble what some people may think should be called teeth. Its the same tissue as the leaf. Teeth arent the same tissue as jaw or gum.

I stand politely corrected. blush Thanks.

Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by billhilly
I'd exclude Ringman from that group. I couldn't disagree with him more but he is a gentleman about it.

I have read a bunch of his posts and he is no dolt by a very wide margin and isnt often crass.

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

" He who refuses to do the arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense" John McCarthy

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Now, that is a HOOT!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the laugh, though I hesitate to do so at your expense. It does, however, prove you don't understand the notion of proof.

BTW, I don't believe in evolution, I understand it and accept that it has to happen because it cannot be otherwise. The simple pair of facts that I listed and which even you have to accept, make it impossible that evolution cannot happen w/o devine intervention. I'm looking for how you prove that this has happened.

Oh, I do understand proof. But the proof that I live by can mean life or death. Not just where did this bug come from type proof. I design bridges and have to prove that my bridges will stand every day. I do that with math that is generally beyond most folk's understanding and even if I tried to explain it, eyes begin glazing over and it would be a further waste of time.

I also understand that neither of these hypotheses, Creationism, nor evolution, nor a couple of other hypotheses that I can dream up can be proven, or really dis-proven for that matter. And that IS by divine design. This is simply because the Lord God Almighty wants us to have faith in Him without looking for or needing a sign of some sort. I read that in a book. Opening up our heart to allow our spirit to communicate with His is where the knowledge of His power to do with this universe as He sees fit is derived. Really, that's all I need. With all due respect, I don't need anything from you or anyone else's approval or proof or what have you.

So, don't take it too heavily your being humored at my expense. I did so willingly, knowing full well that it was with a bit of levity and a bit of a waste of time. But it was mine to waste.

Later.

Steve

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's what he actually had to say on transitional fossils:
"In several animal and plant groups, enough fossils are known to bridge the wide gaps between existing types. In mammals, for example, the gap between horses, asses and zebras (genus Equus) and their closest living relatives, the rhinoceroses and tapirs, is filled by an extensive series of fossils extending back sixty-million years to a small animal, Hyracotherium, which can only be distinguished from the rhinoceros-tapir group by one or two horse-like details of the skull. There are many other examples of fossil 'missing links', such as Archaeopteryx, the Jurassic bird which links birds with dinosaurs (Fig. 45), and Ichthyostega, the late Devonian amphibian which links land vertebrates and the extinct choanate (having internal nostrils) fishes ..."

Post the transitionals for us. We are waiting.

Everyday Hunter
Page 6 of 33 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 32 33

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

479 members (1lessdog, 1minute, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 52 invisible), 2,138 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,279
Posts18,505,096
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.