Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have a 18" barrel carbine est. MV 2600 with around 2000 at 300 yards. Is this enough to get reliable expansion at 300 yards? Also am I correct estimating 25 fps loss per inch of barrel taken away?

Thanks,
Les

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes. Vel. loss best be tested, though.

Will work. Tried it.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Barnes TSXs have been tested down to 1400 fps and even that slow produce 150% caliber expansion. they also produce a more destructive wound channel due to those razor sharp petals (as do the Nosler and Hornady Barnes knockoffs.)

You might want to try the 130 and 150 TTSX as you could push them faster.

If you really want to know what is happening, you need a Chrongraph and ballistic gel.

Good shooting and wear ear plugs !

Hey NSAQAM, Larry is very "IN", LOL
You also dishonor the 28th division by using the unit patch as an insult.
As for the liar, welcher Bricktop, his day is fast approaching.
Coward trolls won't accept PMs.
How's the phantom "campfire" coming ?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I thought fragmentation gave the "best" wound channel.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by interthem
Barnes TSXs have been tested down to 1400 fps and even that slow produce 150% caliber expansion. they also produce a more destructive wound channel due to those razor sharp petals (as do the Nosler and Hornady Barnes knockoffs.)

You might want to try the 130 and 150 TTSX as you could push them faster.

If you really want to know what is happening, you need a Chrongraph and ballistic gel.

Good shooting and wear ear plugs !

Who has tested TSXs down to 1400 fps, and where is that information available?

I haven't seen data from any TSX tests at velocities anyhere close to that low, and according to someone at Barnes a couple years ago, they test their bullets in water at velocities somewhat higher than that velocity (I'm assuming the Barnes rep was talking about their production QA/QC tests). Barnes may have done additional testing, but when I corresponded with their rep a couple years ago, not one of the test velocities mentioned for the various bullets I inquired about was anywhere close to 1400 fps.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Of the TTSXs I have used (very few) I wouldn't call the wound channel all that great, but it was long and skinny. So far Bergers and BT have given the widest wound channel albeit shorter.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I disagree. The critters I've shot with Barnes bullets all died from longer, but narrower wound channels and none of the damage from bullet fragments that was characteristic of the Nosler Partitions.
From what I've seen, the TSX is at it's best at high impact velocites. Nice expansion and almost perfect weight retention. Nosler Partitions, on the other hand, tend to blow off their front sections at high impact speeds and then make a narrower wound channel than an X or a TSX. But the intial wound cavity is very impressive.
Nosler's partition do open quite well at low, 1800 fps., impact speeds. I'd have to see proof than the TSX opens at even lower impact speeds. E

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I just spoke with a Barnes rep the other day, and for the .338 bullets we were discussing, minimum suggested impact velocities were 1600 fps and 1800 fps. He never mentioned anything higher or lower than those two speeds for a either TSX or TTSX in 185 gr, 210 gr and 225 grain for the .338.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd be curious what they are actually hitting to expand at 1600 fps. A steel plate?

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
MV 2600 with around 2000 at 300 yards.

Calling Dr. Interlock, calling Dr. Ballistic Tip ...

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I thought fragmentation gave the "best" wound channel.

When all 4 petals shear off, leaving you with a flat-nosed main shank and 4 buckshot-sized fragments, the wound cavity is pretty decent wink This tends to happen quite often when the TSX/TTSX impacts at 3000+fps.

As for the OP, I'd use something more C&C-ish at those velocities.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of any of the monolithics from .30 down unless they're driven at least 3000 fps. Though a plastic tip does seem to allow them to open up better at somewhat lower velocities, probably because there's a bigger hole under the plastic.

Above .30 caliber and the hollow-point in TSX's is larger, enough to facilitate expansion at somewhat lower velocities.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info guys. I should have said. I'm limited to factory ammo as of right now. I just got my new fixer uppper back from the smith. It's a Remington 760 that I had never shot on paper before. This was the first trip to the range, ammo used
Rem. 165gr. Corelok avg. just over 1.55"
Nosler Trophy grade 165gr. Accubonds avg. 1.21"
Federal Power Shok 150gr. SP avg. just over .75"
Federal premium 165gr. TSX avg just under .725"

In all reality the with the ranges this gun will be used 300 and under all rounds tested will work just fine. It's just nice to see those little clusters.
[Linked Image]
Considering I've had bolt guns that shot worse than this little rig, I'm very happy.
[Linked Image]
Sense this rig will be used both scoped and with a peep sight I also tested return to POI here is 5 rounds each of the Federals with the scope removed and replaced between every shot.
[Linked Image]
When I get set up for reloading none of this will matter, but at least now I know she shoots. I only had the rifle for a hour before I dropped it off at the smith. Targets are 1" dots, range was 100 yards.

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If all you are shooting is deer and want to use a TSX as someone else said, I would go with a lighter bullet the 110 or 130 will give much higher velocity and plenty of bullet for anything less than Elk.

Isaiah 6:8

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I shoot both 300 Win Mag and 30/06. Which Barnes, the 165 or the 168, is designed for the 300 Win Mag and which for the other 30 cal chamberings? I have been shooting 168 out of 30/06 and 165 out of 300 Win Mag. Is that the proper bullet for both?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
In Africa we used 168 TSX out of 19" barrel gun up to 325 yards with excellent results. On same trip I brought along some Winchester 150 gr XP3 to test as we would be shooting allot of game and some at ling range this load shot flat in my gun. The TSX worked close and far. The XP3 failed miserably at 80 yards on a shot from front angled into the front shoulder of a blesbok. It went in partly making a mess but never penetrated the chest cavity. Chased and tracked it for 1-1/2 hours till we got within 350 yards and dropped it. Sometimes stuff happens I know but I know I can trust the 168 TSX out of a 19" 308 barrel near or far. Lighter and flatter does not always work like you think it will. Sometimes you just have to try and test a bullet for yourself. It comes down to what you have confidence in

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For the guy who talked to the "Barnes Rep" about 338s, this thread is about THIRTY CALIBER. Pony up and join the Barnes Copper Club and you can get data on tons and tons of tests and real world performance. All I know about 338 TSXs is the cow Elk I took broadside at, I recall, under 150 yards with a 185 TSX in a puny 338 Federal. Broke both shoulders, my favorite shot, flop dead and bullet penetrated quite a way into the clay bank she was standing by. Results would have been the same had I been shooting a 338 RUM.)

Wonder why most PHs suggest the 270gr TSX as the bullet for Cape Buffalo for hunters using the 375 H&H. (again you'ld have to pony up and subscribe to African Hunter magazine.

You find me a published gun writer who has hunted everything, everywhere, who thinks Barnes bullets are NG. Start with Boddington why don't you ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hate to assume, but will take a guess. You're from Minne right? I'd guess mainly whitey's out of a tree stand, and like you said 300 or less right?

If so, then I see no reason to use anything but those Federal Classic Power Shock 150 grain loads. I'd use those over a TSX for small big game like deer any old day.

Now if in elk country on a consistent basis then I can the thought of maybe going TSX, but for small big game like deer I can't see a reason to do so...

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 03/15/12.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Makes perfect sense. Any decent cup and core bullet will kill any Whitetail that walks with good bullet placement. When the Barnes wins (even on a big Whitetal) is when you jump that monster 6x6 out of a dead fall and he is heading straight away.

The "blue box" federal will stop in the paunch, the TSX will probably come out the other end or end up in the neck somewhere.

Shots I would have passed with any other bullet (except a partition) put a Deer, Elk and Moose down with one shot each with the ancient slow 35 Whelen and a 225 TSX out to 200 paces. Messy gutting jobs, but meat is meat.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by interthem
Makes perfect sense. Any decent cup and core bullet will kill any Whitetail that walks with good bullet placement. When the Barnes wins (even on a big Whitetal) is when you jump that monster 6x6 out of a dead fall and he is heading straight away.

The "blue box" federal will stop in the paunch, the TSX will probably come out the other end or end up in the neck somewhere.

Shots I would have passed with any other bullet (except a partition) put a Deer, Elk and Moose down with one shot each with the ancient slow 35 Whelen and a 225 TSX out to 200 paces. Messy gutting jobs, but meat is meat.

[Linked Image]

To the OP, any of the bullets you tested should work fine for deer with good shot placement - which is not in the butt.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (arky65, afisher, Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 8 invisible), 1,457 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,594
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.