Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 47 1 2 3 4 46 47
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
The whole point was/is nosler should know better. They make bullets and are selling rifles. They could sell or atleast offer 223 and 22-250 with 1-8" twist. Maybe some don't understand this but a 8 twist will shoot 50's fast and straight and do very nice things with longer higher bc pills. 12's and 14's will shoot the lighter ones but not the longer ones. It's a win win with a 8 twist. Now the fella at the local "gun shop" won't know this but you'd expect nosler to. Be kinda like Easton building bows that won't shoot their best arrows.

HR IC

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Yeah, I understand tradition can a be maux faux to overcome. But then they overcome it and go half-azz. Let's make it fast twist, but not fast twist enough... Same with AR's. Why are companies so committed to that half-azz 1-9"?

Travis
1-9" will shoot any damn bullet I'm interested in running through a .223.

Please enlighten us.

Travis

No real dog in this fight, but I haven't had issues with 1-9" up to 69 SMK's. The 1-8" or 1-7" I don't think play to well with sub 52 grain varmint bullets. I'm also hazarding a guess that sub 52 grain varmint bullets out sell the 70+ grain target bullets.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My 1 in 8" 223 AI and 22-6mm both shoot 40 grain Ballistic Tips quite well. No reason to go with the slow twist. This isn't 1920. Modern bullets stay together when twisted to high RPM.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Although the Nosler's may be idiots according to so many on here, I would rather be a trust fund recipient from Bob Noslers estate than a trust fund recipient of anyone on here. grin

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and that had what to do with...?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love the signature line sir... grin

Travis

It's my new mantra.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
While on the topic, what if any 'downside' is there to a faster twist? I've read that an extremely fast twist could potentially 'break up' lightly constructed (i.e. probably varmint) bullets. But I've not really seen anything very definite about that aspect. One often sees minimum recommended / required twist rates for particular bullets, however, is there a corresponding maximum at the other end of the scale?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by RickF
Although the Nosler's may be idiots according to so many on here, I would rather be a trust fund recipient from Bob Noslers estate than a trust fund recipient of anyone on here. grin

I'd have to agree, Nosler is so stupid they cater to 99% of the shooting community rather the 1% that's looking for an extreme that most all there customers aren't even looking for. I bet they cry all the way to the bank to cash that big fat check.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, I didn't think those dots were that hard to connect...

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yeah, I didn't think those dots were that hard to connect...

Dem was some purdy hard dots. Lol

Shod

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of very successful companies have made some pretty stupid moves over the years.

Ford Edsel
New Coke
Pontiac Aztek
Mercedes Benz/Chrysler

The list of dots goes on.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
My 1 in 8" 223 AI and 22-6mm both shoot 40 grain Ballistic Tips quite well. No reason to go with the slow twist. This isn't 1920. Modern bullets stay together when twisted to high RPM.

Hrmm, maybe I should try some 120 VMAX's in my 1-8.75" 7x57. So far the only thing I have tried that light in it is the Barnes TTSX. They shot pretty good running them slow, but I never did pursue it. I didn't think I would be able to hold a more lightly constructed bullet together, and Barnes are kinda expensive for target practice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Shod

I'd have to agree, Nosler is so stupid they cater to 99% of the shooting community rather the 1% that's looking for an extreme that most all there customers aren't even looking for.

Imagine if they gave something to that 1%, without even hurting the other 99%, or their profit margin.

Sorry if the dots aren't obvious enough for you.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mortre
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Hrmm, maybe I should try some 120 VMAX's in my 1-8.75" 7x57. So far the only thing I have tried that light in it is the Barnes TTSX. They shot pretty good running them slow, but I never did pursue it. I didn't think I would be able to hold a more lightly constructed bullet together, and Barnes are kinda expensive for target practice.

You will be fine.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by deadkenny
While on the topic, what if any 'downside' is there to a faster twist? I've read that an extremely fast twist could potentially 'break up' lightly constructed (i.e. probably varmint) bullets. But I've not really seen anything very definite about that aspect. One often sees minimum recommended / required twist rates for particular bullets, however, is there a corresponding maximum at the other end of the scale?

They would have to be really thin jackets to come unglued. Think the SX style bullets from Hornady. But anything modern like the 40gr Ballistic Tips or V-Maxes will hold together.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
40 gr. BT's and Vmax's work great in my 1-8 Plastikka, pushed HARD.

So do 70 gr. VLD's.

But then again, it's only a $300 rifle as opposed to $3000.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Shod

I'd have to agree, Nosler is so stupid they cater to 99% of the shooting community rather the 1% that's looking for an extreme that most all there customers aren't even looking for. I bet they cry all the way to the bank to cash that big fat check.

There is no downside to the fast twists. You seem to be missing that very big "dot".

Another "dot" that seems to be missed by some, is that the OP is stating that if you were to buy a Nosler rifle in .223, or 22-250, you would need to have them re-tubed with an after market barrel in order to shoot the range of Nosler bullets in .224 caliber.

It's called irony.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another one of those ridiculous dots.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
40 gr. BT's and Vmax's work great in my 1-8 Plastikka, pushed HARD.

So do 70 gr. VLD's.

But then again, it's only a $300 rifle as opposed to $3000.

Same here. Actually the ONLY bullets I've had come unglued were the SX bullets I'd mentioned.

Travis

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Sierra makes a 240 grain Matchking. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to produce 308's with an eight inch twist to handle them. Likewise, it is perfectly fine for a company to build rifles to SAAMI specs (like a twelve twist223 or a ten twist 243)if they wish to do so. After all, these twist rates will work fine with any factory ammunition of which I'm aware. If somebody wishes to run 80 grain bullets (or boolits as some may insist on calling them)through a 223, he can simply not buy a rifle from most manufacturers or he can buy one and rebarrel. I don't see the problem.
I have a 22-250 with an eight twist. While I'm pleased enough with it, I see no reason to expect any manufacturer to offer the same thing. Again, a fourteen twist will handle any factory ammunition which is available. GD

Page 2 of 47 1 2 3 4 46 47

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

485 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 257_X_50, 1Longbow, 22kHornet, 57 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,743
Posts18,495,111
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.