Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
To the OP - any chance you have weighed the stock? My wheels are turning about dropping one of these in a short LOP mickey for my son. Too bad McM wont do edge fill for rugers...

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by Timberwolf357
I picked one up recently. Strapped on a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40mm but haven't had time to get down to the rifle range. Quite pleased with my purchase so far.

I'm a bit surprised Ruger didn't chamber this in the 357 Maximum. Imagine a rifle that could have chambered 3 different cartridges, 38, 357 Mag and 357 Max? Imagine a 170/180gr projectile moving at 110gr Magnum velocities. It would have been a great way to breath new life into the Max. <SIGH>
Is the rotary mag on the Ruger long enough for the Max? If so I think that'd be a way cool rig. I'd like to see how a 125gr Barnes works out of either a Mag or Max on a deer. I'm betting it won't bounce off...

The mag is wayyyy short for the Max unfortunately. Ejection would be an issue too.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by swag
I picked one up recently. Strapped on a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40mm but haven't had time to get down to the rifle range. Quite pleased with my purchase so far.

I'm a bit surprised Ruger didn't chamber this in the 357 Maximum. Imagine a rifle that could have chambered 3 different cartridges, 38, 357 Mag and 357 Max? Imagine a 170/180gr projectile moving at 110gr Magnum velocities. It would have been a great way to breath new life into the Max. <SIGH>
Is the rotary mag on the Ruger long enough for the Max? If so I think that'd be a way cool rig. I'd like to see how a 125gr Barnes works out of either a Mag or Max on a deer. I'm betting it won't bounce off...

The mag is wayyyy short for the Max unfortunately. Ejection would be an issue too.
Thanks for that! Contemplating what to get for my 5yo for deer. If I don't get him a Ruger it'll probably be a Contender and if so I might go with that Max.

The rotary mag is too short to load the Max round. I really think Ruger short changed themselves on this one (no pun intended). If they had just stretched the chamber and mag a tiny bit they could have had a whole different animal ... frown

125 is too light for deer. Even at Max velocities. 140 is minimum but 158 or heavier is best. I would like to use the 170gr Speer GDSP but I'm not pleased with the velocity it gets out of a Magnum. The 158gr loaded a little hot (as in don't try this at home) works for ME. I just have to be careful to keep them separate so I don't accidentally use it in my revolver.

Last edited by Timberwolf357; 03/26/12.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

The rotary mag is too short to load the Max round. I really think Ruger short changed themselves on this one (no pun intended). If they had just stretched the chamber and mag a tiny bit they could have had a whole different animal ... frown

125 is too light for deer. Even at Max velocities. 140 is minimum but 158 or heavier is best. I would like to use the 170gr Speer GDSP but I'm not pleased with the velocity it gets out of a Magnum. The 158gr loaded a little hot (as in don't try this at home) works for ME. I just have to be careful to keep them separate so I don't accidentally use it in my revolver.
I wouldn't even want a maximum. If I felt the need for more juice than the .357 mag. could muster I'd go straight to my .35 Remington or .30-30. The .357 mag. has proven more than up to the task with 158 gr. sp's on whitetails out of my Marlin 1894C. In fact, I killed one big doe with it from 185 yards. It was a broadside, behind the shoulder lung shot and the bullet passed completely through. She ran 40 yards and fell over dead. Another shot through the shoulder joint from 30 yards as it quartered to me dropped in it's tracks. That bullet pulped the shoulder, wrecked both lungs and exited the rear of the rib cage on the far side.

IC B2

Blackheart, you make a good point. The Maximum would only stretch your effective distance to 150 and MAYBE even 200 yds. Anything larger or farther and you would need to use something that can deliver more velocity (I'm leaning towards a 7mm-08 as my next investment). It's just seems like there's some magical mystique surrounding the 357. Maybe it's the history. Maybe it's the sound and fireball. Maybe I'm just nuts ....

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1234, 54 invisible), 13,562 guests, and 986 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,123
Posts18,542,275
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.