Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Doc,
If I understand your first post correctly you say that with good quality ammo there is no difference between 9mm, 40S&W, or 45 ACP,
however the 380 is altogether different.
That just seems a little odd to me that there could be such a difference between .380 and 9mm, but not between 9mm and 45 ACP?
Please enlighten me. I carry a Jframe 38 special but I am not under the illusion that it is a good choice, but it just fits into whatever I am wearing so easily. (especially in warm weather)
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
cumminscowboy... No, I did not. I mean no disrespect, but youtube video "proof" of anything is highly suspect at best.

At the risk of being called a condescending pontificator (again), the problem with youtube video is that since we can't verify the conditions of the video, or even that that the ammo being demo'd is what it is purported to be, it really has no value other than entertainment. Did the video actually use 10% ballistic gelatin mixed per protocol, and shot at temperatures and at distances dictated by protocol? Just for starters, if the video was done outdoors, the answer is almost certainly, "NO".

The tests I reported on last week were done under the conditions specified by FBI protocol, by a highly respected industry professional. The findings demonstrated there were in agreement with the findings reported by the FBI ballistics labs and by other ballistics labs I have access to data from. In other words, several reputable labs have found the same things with the same ammo.

If you have found another source of information you think is better than this, go with it. I'm not here to argue. I only relayed well-presented, professional information. Take from it what you will.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DocRocket
We only started to see differences in performance in bullets when he shot through intermediate barriers such as laminated auto glass and sheet metal.

Doc, from your OP I assume the dismal .380 performance was also through the barriers, correct?

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
whelennut... I did not and do not have space and time to go over all the nuances of the ballistics tests I reported on, let alone all the ballistics tests I've viewed, reviewed, and discussed with professionals far more expert than I.

But in answer to your question re: 9mm vs 45 ACP. First, I'm not saying they are ballistically equivalent, as they're obviously not. The 9mm, being a lighter, narrower projectile, has to "work a lot harder" to produce the same effect as a 45 ACP. And a 45 ACP bullet has to "work a lot less hard" to produce the same effect as the best 9mm round. But in simple terms, yes, a Speer GDHP or Winchester Ranger Talon or Federal HST 9mm bullet will penetrate as far in gelatin as a 45 ACP bullet of the same groups, and will expand as reliably. The kinetic energy transferred will be close to the same. The only significant difference will be the size of the permanent wound cavity, and even then it's not a large difference (about 20% more surface area with the 45).

The performance difference between 380 ACP (9x17) and 9mm Luger (9x19) is not something I can explain. I am not a physicist. The 380 case is significantly smaller, with smaller powder capacity. Its narrower diameter means it pushes pressures higher and faster than a wider, longer case such as the 9mm so its "+P" potential is really limited. From what ballisticians tell me, the 9x19mm case is really about as small as you can go to produce acceptable service caliber ballistic performance.

The plain fact is that all service caliber handgun bullets are pretty anemic when compared to rifle or shotgun rounds, and the "heavy" handgun rounds (44 Mag and up) as used in police shootings haven't really performed at a level to inspire enough confidence to use them rather than a patrol rifle.

Let me put it as plainly as I can: I've seen enough blocks of gelatin shot, and enough ER cases and autopsies, to be fairly confident that the "stopping power" of good-quality handgun ammunition in 38 Special, 9mm Luger, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP is all about the same. If I was issued a 9mm service handgun and told to make do, I am confident it would do the job provided I placed my shots correctly. If given a 45 ACP handgun, same deal. But if I was issued a handgun outside of these calibers, on the lighter side anyway, I'd have grave doubts as to my career longevity with that agency.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by JOG
We only started to see differences in performance in bullets when he shot through intermediate barriers such as laminated auto glass and sheet metal.

Doc, from your OP I assume the dismal .380 performance was also through the barriers, correct?

The .380 ammo shot at both bare gelatin and through 4 layers of denim failed to meet FBI minimums. Same with 2 layers of 5/8" sheetrock. We didn't bother to shoot it through windshield glass, as we wanted to move on to .223 patrol rifle tests and the 380 was clearly out of the running.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
We need to remember that the FBI and their protocol choose the 10mm as the ultimate fight stopper too. I don't think street results have proven it to be any better than anything else and after spending money on R&D and shiney new guns.

FBI is heavily weighted toward penetration and maybe rightly so for general LEO duty.

I don't know of anything that works 100%, I carry a .380 and 32acp because it can be in a pocket when I wouldn't have anything else or used when everthing else has failed. If needed I don't think I'll be concerned with how far it penetrates in gel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
whelennut,

That just seems a little odd to me that there could be such a difference between .380 and 9mm, but not between 9mm and 45 ACP?

We discovered the same thing with the water jugs Doc did with the gelatin. There was no noticable difference between the .40 and the .45. They destoryed the same number of jugs. The .44 mag was way more destructive. The .380 merely broke the weld of the first jug and stopped in the tree about a 1/2". The jug halves sat there until we tried to pick it up. Of course the water was gone. There were obviosly three different levels of performance.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
whelennut... I did not and do not have space and time to go over all the nuances of the ballistics tests I reported on, let alone all the ballistics tests I've viewed, reviewed, and discussed with professionals far more expert than I.

But in answer to your question re: 9mm vs 45 ACP. First, I'm not saying they are ballistically equivalent, as they're obviously not. The 9mm, being a lighter, narrower projectile, has to "work a lot harder" to produce the same effect as a 45 ACP. And a 45 ACP bullet has to "work a lot less hard" to produce the same effect as the best 9mm round. But in simple terms, yes, a Speer GDHP or Winchester Ranger Talon or Federal HST 9mm bullet will penetrate as far in gelatin as a 45 ACP bullet of the same groups, and will expand as reliably. The kinetic energy transferred will be close to the same. The only significant difference will be the size of the permanent wound cavity, and even then it's not a large difference (about 20% more surface area with the 45).

The performance difference between 380 ACP (9x17) and 9mm Luger (9x19) is not something I can explain. I am not a physicist. The 380 case is significantly smaller, with smaller powder capacity. Its narrower diameter means it pushes pressures higher and faster than a wider, longer case such as the 9mm so its "+P" potential is really limited. From what ballisticians tell me, the 9x19mm case is really about as small as you can go to produce acceptable service caliber ballistic performance.

The plain fact is that all service caliber handgun bullets are pretty anemic when compared to rifle or shotgun rounds, and the "heavy" handgun rounds (44 Mag and up) as used in police shootings haven't really performed at a level to inspire enough confidence to use them rather than a patrol rifle.

Let me put it as plainly as I can: I've seen enough blocks of gelatin shot, and enough ER cases and autopsies, to be fairly confident that the "stopping power" of good-quality handgun ammunition in 38 Special, 9mm Luger, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP is all about the same. If I was issued a 9mm service handgun and told to make do, I am confident it would do the job provided I placed my shots correctly. If given a 45 ACP handgun, same deal. But if I was issued a handgun outside of these calibers, on the lighter side anyway, I'd have grave doubts as to my career longevity with that agency.

Were any of the flat pointed FMJ .380's tested?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
doc, I think you would find this guys youtube videos interesting. he does calibrate each block of ballistic gelletin and uses the same 4 layers of denim on each test. its not some idiot blasting off rounds and I think its pretty darn clear this guy has no agenda as to what performs what. I think you can see him load the gun with the ammo. none the less the way he performs the test is consistent throughout all the test of various rounds. if thats what he is doing we can get an apples to apples comparison done.

someone mentioned the 45 acp and compared it to 9mm. ask yourself why did browning come up with the 45 acp, its because it had to perform shooting ball ammo because that was a military requirement. if I am stuck with shooting ball ammo a 45 would be what I would want. but we are not stuck with shooting only ball ammo. this is the reason why the 1911 never really took off in law enforcement situations, not to mention the mag only held 1 extra round than a revolver. give me 16 rounds of 9mm in a double stack mag all day over a handful of 45 ACP's

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With equal or equivalent penetration I will take the bigger diameter bullet.

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
IC B3

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
doc, I think you would find this guys youtube videos interesting.

I watched parts of three .380 videos - I skipped ahead to view the results instead of all the intro fluff. None of the three made 12-inches and one bullet completely failed to expand after the HP plugged with denim. Not exactly earth shaking.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by stray round
We need to remember that the FBI and their protocol choose the 10mm as the ultimate fight stopper too. I don't think street results have proven it to be any better than anything else and after spending money on R&D and shiney new guns.

Actually, SR, the FBI protocol was developed by a multispecialty panel including physicians, engineers, ballisticians, law enforcement, and others before the advent of the 10mm. The 10mm has never, to my knowledge, been described by any credible terminal ballistics/effects expert to my knowledge as "the ultimate fight stopper".

I'm glad you mentioned "street results". Because the fact is that if ammunition that meets the FBI standard didn't work well in the street, the test protocol would be worse than useless.

But the data from police shootings across the nation have pretty much borne out what the gelatin studies have predicted. If a caliber/bullet performs up to the FBI standard in the lab, street statistics show it does pretty well in the street; and ammo that sucks when tested in gelatin tends to suck in street shootings. You have to have a lot of shootings in the database to validate these findings, and getting access to these databases is beyond difficult for non-LE personnel, but the data exist and they bear out the validity of the FBI gelatin testing protocol.

Again, I offer this information only as information for you and others to use in making your own personal choices in caliber and ammunition, not as a judgment for or against anyone's choices. It's your gun, your ammo, and if the flag goes up, your lethal force encounter.

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
doc, I think you would find this guys youtube videos interesting.

I watched parts of three .380 videos - I skipped ahead to view the results instead of all the intro fluff. None of the three made 12-inches and one bullet completely failed to expand after the HP plugged with denim. Not exactly earth shaking.

Yeah. I've watched dozens of youtube videos of guys shooting gelatin, and have given that up. The "findings" just don't justify the time wasted watching the "intro fluff", not to mention the unanswered questions regarding methodology.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I still wouldnt want to get shot with a 380 up close, no matter how bad the tests say they are.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With equal or equivalent penetration I will take the bigger diameter bullet.

Snake

Back in the 1990's I used to go jack rabbit hunting a lot. Usually I took my scoped Freedom Arms .454. Once I took a scoped Ruger .44 Magnum. There was a noticable difference in performance. A gut shot rabbit or one hit in the pelvis with the .454 was instantly meeting its maker. Occationally a rabbit center punched with the .44 mag would take off for awhile. And if it was hit further back it had to be chased and shot again.

Diameter and velocity make a difference even at that low level.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
I still wouldnt want to get shot with a 380 up close, no matter how bad the tests say they are.

I spent several days in hospital and came close to losing my life thanks to a 40 gr .22LR bullet in 1972. That little escapade changed my life.

I have big respect for the damage ANY firearm can do, but that doesn't mean I'll carry a .22LR as my primary CCW weapon.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
In all these discussions I haven�t seen anything about the .357 SIG. I realize it is just a 9mm on steroids, but several police agencies seem to be happy with it. Did you test any of these loads?

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Not on this occasion, no. But I've seen 357 SIG tested several times and reviewed a lot of data. It's as you say, a "9mm on steroids". It barks pretty hard in closed spaces, it's very accurate, and its terminal effects reputation is at least as good as that of the other service calibers.

Again: I've done training with a lot of agencies/departments, and I've used just about all the calibers & guns in training that they all use. I would have no problem carrying on duty any SIG, Glock, HK, or S&W M&P handgun in any of the standard service calibers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not looking to start a fight...........but my favorite all time .380 quote is:

"if you shoot me with a .380 and i find out about it, i am gonna be pissed!!!!"

wink Now, having said that, carrying a .380 handgun is obviously better then the 9mm/.357/.45 left at home in the bedstand.

Personally....my CCW are a Kahr 9mm and a S&W 357.

Last edited by 257wthbylover; 03/20/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Flat pointed FMJ's would be interesting to evaluate...heck if you could get it to feed, a punch bullet would seem to be a good bet...

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

702 members (10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 2,628 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,841
Posts18,478,128
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.