-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
got your dictionary and thesaurus out now ......

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Lee24 didn't know "pedagogy'.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MichaelTorre
my credentials ?
heh

your pedagogy seems to be enough to satisfy the august board at large.

M

I'd bet the only uniform you ever wore had a BSA emblem if that..

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ingwe
Lee24 didn't know "pedagogy'.....

You know what is the best part about threads like this? Those who argue the loudest and make the most noise are never seen, never met and never have hunted with others from this forum..

who are you anyway laugh

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I am the man who will be darkening your doorstep and raiding your BGE...and fridge...in june! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
and you will be welcomed! Bring your own ice though......... laugh

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
WTF is a "nuclear missile analyst"?

Wiki doesn't cover that one.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Wiki doesn't cover that one.

Nuclear missile, tunnel rat, POW..

Just widen your search, it's gotta be there somewhere....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

You mean missiles don't run on nuclear power? grin

It is kinda fun to have ol' Lee24 back, just for entertainment purposes..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yup. Since we were not there, everything is a guess. But...

This unit appears to have been a base of fire. You could hear other fire in the background, which I would hope/assume were the manuvering units. And there were several aircraft overhead.

The lack of fire discipline did bother me.

The one SAW gunner went through, iirc, 6 belts. That was a significant part of his ammunition load. And one could tell that the SAW was starting to get dirty and the links weren't ejecting correctly. You could also see folks swapping ammunition around. Which implies some folks were getting short.

I am guessing that the leadership Mackay was suggesting was for fire discipline and control. That is, to reduce ammunition expenditure whilst keeping fire effective. If that unit walked into another firefight, they might have been really hurting.

While I could not judge the amount of return fire, the guys sticking their rifles above the wall and firing without sighting also suggested a lack of discipline.

I left the Army in 1995. But it was interesting that nobody on either side was firing mortars or artillery.

IC B3

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Just kinda makes me wonder what the objective is.

Some Afghani cavemen crawl down outta the hills and pop a few shots in the direction of a patrol.

The patrol burns the barrels out of a couple of SAWs and drives up the price of Lake City 5.56.

Then the cavemen crawl back up into the hills and eats a goat for dinner.

The patrol goes back to their base,...drinks a beer or two.

It appears that a good time is being had by all,...but other than that, it seems like a fairly useless exercise.

Who's having to foot the bill for all of this and who gets the money?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
One of things about combat is that a participant rarely, if ever, knows what happened. About all one knows is whether somebody in one's own team/squad/platoon got hurt. You rarely get to see enemy casualties. or be one the guys that actually got to overrun the target. (And after doing it once, you don't really want to be on that job.) And it is even rarer that you actually find out that you actually shot somebody.

For most soldiers, particularly the privates, one is basically wandering about fairly randomly. Occasionally, there is some shouting, shooting, some running around. Maybe some explosions. Occasionally all the noise and action gets uncomfortably close. Then it stops. Then one goes back to wandering about in a fashion that appears to be random.

There is usually a hope that somebody in the command structure actually knows what is going on, and is even possibly controlling things. And the suspicion that nobody does.

The soldiers all look hot, tired and a bit played out. And I suspect that they were fairly stressed,

You are correct that war is very expensive and uses up a lot of resources.

Last edited by chuck_tree; 03/24/12.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Sometimes there is nothing better than making it up close and personal. I get talked to by tankers all the time saying, We can hit them from miles away.... they dont know what hit them... I explane to them its like having a coward come up and sucker punch you from behind and knock you out... Or you can be like a Infantryman and get within feet of the enemy when he KICKs in a door with enemy behind it and squeezing the trigger... Nothing more fulfilling.. LMAO

Last edited by cmr287; 04/08/12.

Battle is an orgy of disorder. George S. Patton, I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6, V/R Chris https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...12828/gonew/1/Call_to_fellow_Vets#UNREAD
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
As far as the $$$$$ go's that gos into war.. You dont know the half of the waisted money tax payers have no Clue about...... It is scarry! Im gonna write a book about FWA when I retire.....

Battle is an orgy of disorder. George S. Patton, I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6, V/R Chris https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...12828/gonew/1/Call_to_fellow_Vets#UNREAD
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

This libtard was a nuclear missile analyst,
..........those were [bleep] studs,

Jeez, you choose a strange, and creepy speech pattern...... sick sick sick sick sick

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where and the hell is a good sniper when you need one?

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Saw the video and while I can say I've been "shot at" that carries widely different connotations and in my example, poorly aimed AAA is not anywhere near the level of stress these guys were under.
That video is probably a very narrow, focused overall part of the situation and those who've been there and done that know it is very difficult to keep one's cool and when the lead is flying, emotions are hard to suppress. That said I'm willing to be this guy was just laying down suppressive fire whilst somebody else was doing the more surgical stuff. Can't really tell, but I defer to those who've actually experienced this in life.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fact is that Soldiers on a firebase have larger reserve supplies of ammo available and are much more likely to blaze off incredible amounts of rounds. Soldiers in the field are a LOT more miserly with their ammunition. BTDT many many times. I've been in a bunch of very extended gunbattles and the very LAST thing we meeded was to have our bullet launchers malfunction because of overheating and fouling. M-16's were terrible about that. M-60 MG's were better because the barrels could be changed out in a heartbeat. Incoming small arms can be so heavy that the cracks of the bullets sounds like strings of firecrackers going off. You don't want to hear "thump". Something or someone close just got hit. Crack is good in this instance,thump is bad. Holding the rifles up overhead is something I saw lots of too. Bullets that get REAL close hiss. If you hear crack and no thump,AIM. Ya hear "sssshhhhh" get yer stupid head
down!!! Trying to identify a clear target is hard as Hell. Gunfights ain't what most folks think they are like believe me.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by eh76

You know what is the best part about threads like this? Those who argue the loudest and make the most noise are never seen, never met and never have hunted with others from this forum..

That's a silly argument that is made now and again on 24hcf. It's an internet forum, not a "real" campfire or hunting camp. Somehow meeting a guy whose screen name you also have seen makes a comment more credible?

Nonsense. This is an equal opportunity bullshit zone.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
Originally Posted by eh76

That's a silly argument that is made now and again on 24hcf. It's an internet forum, not a "real" campfire or hunting camp. Somehow meeting a guy whose screen name you also have seen makes a comment more credible?

Nonsense. This is an equal opportunity bullshit zone.

Crockett... you're mistaken, amigo. This internet forum is a LOT different from most internet forums because many of us actually socialize, hunt, fish, and hang out with each other.

I personally know (and have hunted with) about 8 of the people who've posted on this thread, and a couple of them I'll be hunting with this fall... flyboyflem, for one.

Speaking of which, both flyboyflem and EvilTwin were guys who served some pretty hard service in the military in shooting wars. Mackay Sagebrush, likewise, has seen some tough duty. Others of us have served in law enforcement and have, as EvilTwin describes it, heard the crack of incoming bullets.

Others, such as you for instance, I don't know from Adam. That doesn't make you a troll or a nobody, it just means I don't know you. If you make good comments, and you display intelligence and good manners, I'll probably get to "know" and like you, and some day I might find myself asking you to come along hunting or fishing with me. Or maybe not.

But this is not an "equal opportunity bullshit zone", as I've tried to explain here. If you can understand and respect that, we'll get along fine. If you choose to be a wise-ass and chit-disturber, we won't.

It's pretty much up to you.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (6mmCreedmoor, 808outdoors, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 13 invisible), 14,843 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,107
Posts18,541,913
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.