Print Thread
Hop To
L
llama2 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I am looking for a light to medium weight bolt action rifle to hunt deer with and I recently came across one of these for sale and I do not know much about them. I also am looking at the newer Tikka T-3 lite, the Sako A-7 and either Savages or Remington.

I had been strongly looking at either purchasing a new Tikka 3 lite or a new Sako A-7; when I came across one of these Tikka M 695 that is used, but in super condition. It is a composite stock with SS barrel in a 270 win; and the gun has a small RMEF stamp on the barrel just in front of the action ( I assume it was a company donation for auctions etc. to RMEF ). The gun has - imported by Stoeger on the barrel.

I am asking here for opinions on this gun. I have a 4-5 day hold on it right now and am strongly thinking of purchasing it, but thought I would ask for input here.

BTW- in my personal inspection when comparing to the Tikka T-3 lite; this M695 model seems less "plasticky", for lack of a better word. The stock and feel seems closer to the Sako A-7. I guess the specs show it at 7lbs 2oz which seems to me about right based on my handling of the gun. Action is very smooth and the overall quality (in my non expert opinion) just based on inspection seems right along the lines of what I see in the new Tikka 3 and the Sako.

So..... Please give me the good, bad and indifferent. All is appreciated- thanks

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
The 695 is a fine rifle.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by the_shootist
The 695 is a fine rifle.

I concur.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The 695's are really nice rifles in my opinion. If you like it, get it. You'll not be sorry.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My friend has a Tikka 695 that has been through torture. Great rifles. But IMHO it's a tad too heavy for a walker, & I prefer the mag design of the T3......
T3 wins for me, but hard to go wrong with either!

Taking my rifle for a walk
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 695 in 280 Rem RMEF version that shoots great. As others have mentioned, it's not a lightweight. T3 would be my choice if I had to pick.

Regards,

Tom
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a 695 in 30/06. It's my hunting rifle, Great trigger & accurate. I topped mine with a Nikon 6X. It's 3 for 3 in the Colorado Elk Department for the last 3 years. Bob

L
llama2 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks for the feed back so far. I am still thinking hard on this - I have 4.5 days. Who knows- maybe I will get both the 695 and a T-3 in a smaller caliber.

I do really like the looks of the build quality of the 695.

I am also looking at a Kimber 84m in a 7mm 08- but that is a whole different coin class.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
IMHO its an excellent action, either as it is or as the basis for a Build project.

I have one rebarrelled in 275 Rigby (7x57) 22" barrel and McM Sako Hunting stock, factory trigger. It shoots great, and is used mainly for woodland hunting in UK. No moderator even tho the barrel was threaded, it is well balanced, reliable - a Joy.

Go for it, you will not be dissappointed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also have a RMEF 695 in 280 and it is one of the most accurate big game rifles I own. Had a friend offer me $600 for it, probably should have taken it, but it's hard to get rid of an accurate rifle.

`Bring Enough Gun`
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've hunted with a 695 270 Win for 12 years. It's a very accurate, non-finicky, dependable rifle. Great trigger and probably the smoothest operating bolt that I've ever handled. It's at least a pound heavier than the T3. I ditched the wood stock for a McM Sako hunter stock a few years ago. It's one of my go to rifles.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
L
llama2 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks for all the feedback so far- it closely mirrors about everything I have heard and read about these Tikka and Sako rifles in general.

I do realize that it is heavier than the T-3 lite; but that makes sense to me by looking at both of them side by side- the 695 model seems to me to be a "tougher" and more stout rifle. May not be, and may not be a big deal, but that's how it seems. I get that same feeling between the t-3 lite and the Sako ones.

I think I am going to go ahead and buy this 270 Win SS synthetic stock 695 Tikka, as it fulfills what I am looking for and what was mentioned above- " a very accurate, non-finicky, dependable rifle"

That is basically in a nutshell my main criteria points for what I am looking for- I want a rifle that is #1 accurate out of the box with factory type ammo, with out a lot of monkeying around and is tough and dependable. And this Tikka 695 hopefully will fit that bill.

And I am curious as to how it will shoot. I am sure if it shoots well, and I ever change my mind about selling it, I am sure I will not have trouble doing so- especially since I won't have a ton of $ wrapped up in it.

As far as the extra weight- I am sure I can find another 3/4 of a lb. that I can shed out of my everyday carry items in my pack.

If not, I can either drop that 3/4 lb off my frame, or make my body 3/4 of a pound stronger. wink

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I doubt you'll regret the purchase. The 695 is much more "substantial" than the T3.

L
llama2 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Birdhog
I doubt you'll regret the purchase. The 695 is much more "substantial" than the T3.

"Substantial" - now that is a better word to describe the difference that I saw between the 2.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Another +1 for the 695. I have one in .25-06 and it's a shooter.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
L
llama2 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks a bunch for all who have posted their input concerning their thoughts on the 695's It is much appreciated!

One thing I encouragingly noted after reading all of these posts- is that even though I originally asked for "the good, bad and indifferent" input; I did not see any real neg. comments concerning these rifles, other than maybe the extra weight compared to the T-3 lite.

I have decided to go ahead and purchase the Tikka 695- I believe that it will fulfill exactly what I am looking for. If I ever want to go for a lighter carry down the road- I can always pick up one of the T-3 lites.

BTW- pleasant side note-
When I did a bore and bolt inspection of the one I am buying- I (and the fella in the Gun library at Cabelas) reasoned that the rifle had probably been fired only a time or two- if that. Looks like someone may have won this at a RMEF banquet and then maybe never used it. Anyways- it looks brand new. The gun library fella said he thought in his opinion- these 695's were a better built gun than the newer Tikka offerings. He said he is actually not that impressed with the build of the T-3 lites- but said that is just his opinion. He does like Sako's and the older Tikka's and thought this 695 was closer in quality to the Sako's when comparing to the new Tikkas.

Thanks again

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Found a similar RMEF 695 blue.synthetic at my local Pawn store today at around $650...in 280 Rem. Had the little RMEF logo on the right front receiver flat in front of the ejection port. Dinnit know that they ever came in that flavor.
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I looked at that exact rifle at the Springfield Cabela's. Super shape and fair price!

My only reservation would be the latch mechanism for the magazine. It seems a little flimsy, but this opinion might not be justified. I'd also look into spare mag availability. Since its not made anymore, the supply could dry up and prices go higher than they already are.

I am a huge T3 fan, but would like to add one of these to my collection just for fun. I think I'd rather carry a T3 in the field especially with a light kicking cartridge like the 270 but these rifles do not show up on the market very often.

Still, good score! I was going to look at that rifle again tomorrow!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Can't go wrong on the 695 purchase and mags are still easy to find. Here is a nice writeup on the T3 vs 595, enjoy!

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/tikka-t-3-vs-m595-detail-views-changes-shown-55517/

Last edited by Scooter700; 03/24/12. Reason: new information

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,605 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,476
Posts18,471,546
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.