Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I put a 2-7 Vx-1 on mine, but if I had more money I'd probably have upgraded to a Vx 2 or 3. I think the 2.5-8 VX-3 would be good too, or even a 1.5 -5. I intend to use the rifle for elk/moose in an area where the grizz are getting pretty thick, so I like having a low power option. I have a 1-4 Swift that I would use if I thought it was tough enough, that 1x option is great.
I tried the gun at 300 yards set at 4x,and I'd have no issue's using it like that as it was plenty.BTW, the 2-7 doesn't leave much wiggle room either, maybe 1/4 inch.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by EricM
Bigsqueeze, do you have more room with your VX3 1.5-5x20 Eric
..........As in mounting tube length?? If that is what you wish to know, you`ll have more than enough mounting tube length using a 1.5-5x20 VX3 mounted atop a Ruger Alaskan.

Generally in all cases, the straight tubed scopes offer more mounting tube length. No objective bells to worry about.

That will allow for a greater range of scope adjustment either moving the scope forward or backwards towards you to whatever scope position best suites your particular needs and LOP comfort level.

Aside from the longer mounting tube length, the straight tubed scopes (my choice) on my Alaskan, provide wider FOVs, and provide fast (both eyes open) aiming as well.

Imo, using a 375 Ruger under any hunting circumstance, there is no need for any more than a 4x to 5x on the top end.

A 1-5x20 VX3 is an ideal choice for the Ruger Alaskan rifle. Hell! That`s why I have one on mine. Went through the same crap myself trying to decide which scope to settle on. It has good eye relief, is light weight at about 9.5 oz, has a lower profile when mounted on the rifle, and offers more than enough mounting tube length.

Those were my reasons for buying.

Have fun deciding.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by robear
1-4, 30mm Accupoint with a green triangle on mine. Perfect.

I hadn't thought of Trijicon. I actually looked through one of their variables for the first time this past week and was very impressed by the sight picture. I didn't know they made a 1-4x24.

Eric

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
..........As in mounting tube length?? If that is what you wish to know, you`ll have more than enough mounting tube length using a 1.5-5x20 VX3 mounted atop a Ruger Alaskan.

Generally in all cases, the straight tubed scopes offer more mounting tube length. No objective bells to worry about.

That will allow for a greater range of scope adjustment either moving the scope forward or backwards towards you to whatever scope position best suites your particular needs and LOP comfort level.

Aside from the longer mounting tube length, the straight tubed scopes (my choice) on my Alaskan, provide wider FOVs, and provide fast (both eyes open) aiming as well.

Imo, using a 375 Ruger under any hunting circumstance, there is no need for any more than a 4x to 5x on the top end.

A 1-5x20 VX3 is an ideal choice for the Ruger Alaskan rifle. Hell! That`s why I have one on mine. Went through the same crap myself trying to decide which scope to settle on. It has good eye relief, is light weight at about 9.5 oz, has a lower profile when mounted on the rifle, and offers more than enough mounting tube length.

Have fun deciding.

Thanks again for the input, Bigsqueeze. The 1-5x20 VX3 is definitely a top contender. I like the good ER, light weight and low profile... all good things! What mounts did you use?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

I hadn't thought of Trijicon. I actually looked through one of their variables for the first time this past week and was very impressed by the sight picture. I didn't know they made a 1-4x24.

Eric
.........Careful with a 1.25-4x24 Trijicon with the 1" tube. The mounting tube length may be problem on the Alaskan which would require ugly offsetting rings. At the very least, it will be tight fit.

The 30mm straight tubed Trijicon would work fine if you don`t mind spending the money.

IC B2

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Eric
.........Careful with a 1.25-4x24 Trijicon with the 1" tube. The mounting tube length may be problem on the Alaskan which would require ugly offsetting rings. At the very least, it will be tight fit.

The 30mm straight tubed Trijicon would work fine if you don`t mind spending the money.

Good point. Looks like it's going for $845 with a 10.3", 30mm tube: TR24G Trijicon Accu Point

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Have fun deciding.

Thanks again for the input, Bigsqueeze. The 1-5x20 VX3 is definitely a top contender. I like the good ER, light weight and low profile... all good things! What mounts did you use?
..............You won`t need to buy scope base mounts for the Ruger Alaskan. Built into the receiver. Don`t need to buy any scope rings either. They should come with the rifle.

I use the factory Ruger rings that came originally with my Alaskan. For strength, punishment and abuse, no scope mounting system will surpass the Ruger mounting system.

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sweet! That's right, I forgot about their mounting system.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
............And you have no eye relief issues??

According to SWFA, your 1-4 30 mm Trijicon has eye relief going from 2" to 3.5"?? If so, isn`t that a little tight in the eye relief dept for a 375 Ruger?

Two inches? Nope! I don`t think so.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
............And you have no eye relief issues??

According to SWFA, your 1-4 30 mm Trijicon has eye relief going from 2" to 3.5"?? If so, isn`t that a little tight in the eye relief dept for a 375 Ruger?

Two inches? Nope! I don`t think so.

...........Midway lists 3.2" of eye relief for the 30 mm 1x4 Trijicon. The 2" of minimum ER SWFA lists could be wrong. But still, 3.2" of ER is still too tight imo for any 375.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
.........I saved you big $$$ already... laugh

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
.........I saved you big $$$ already... laugh

And maybe an eye! lol.

I'd seriously like to hear more about eye relief with that accupoint. I'm surprised it's that tight.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Have fun deciding.

Squeeze: the problem with the 1.5X5X20 Leupold it's the abismal light transmission qualities. A lot of DG is hunted in very low light and in this application the Leupie SUCKS. I even tried their 30mm version with an Ill reticle and it SUCKED(and for the life of me I can't fathom as to why Leupold went with a 20mm objective in a 30mm tube!). For me the 375 (any flavor except the Steyr) is a "double duty" type of rifle, that is from up close to easily over 300 yards so you need a versatile scope AND good light transmission. The S&B depicted is a great choice and in my view the Z6 1.7X10X42 even better. In fact it's perfect. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Jorge, do you have a pic of your rifle with the Z6 1.7-10x42?

Eric

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jorge,

Do you have the 4a reticle in your Z6 1.7-10x42? If so, would it be possible for you to take a picture through the scope and post it? I'd like to see how thick/bold the reticle is.

I'm hoping it's thicker and heavier than the 4a in my Z3's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My two .375's wear 1.5-6x42mm scopes (Diavari and Kahles CSX).

Either the Z6 1.7-10x42mm or Leupold VX-6 2-12x42mm would add some versatility as both have a tad more eye relief in addition to the extra magnification.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Swaro 1x6x24 EE.

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by atomchaser
Swaro 1x6x24 EE.

100.5' FOV at 1,000 yds and 4.72" eye relief... pretty good!

$1,850 price... ouch!

I still wish the Trijicon Accupoint had better ER.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by atomchaser
Swaro 1x6x24 EE.

100.5' FOV at 1,000 yds and 4.72" eye relief... pretty good!

$1,850 price... ouch!

I still wish the Trijicon Accupoint had better ER.

Check samplelist.com or call Eurooptic or Cameraland. They often have demo units considerably cheaper. I got mine that way. The long eye relief is a big plus -- no worries about get scope bite with a rifle like this.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Have fun deciding.

Squeeze: the problem with the 1.5X5X20 Leupold it's the abismal light transmission qualities. A lot of DG is hunted in very low light and in this application the Leupie SUCKS. I even tried their 30mm version with an Ill reticle and it SUCKED(and for the life of me I can't fathom as to why Leupold went with a 20mm objective in a 30mm tube!). For me the 375 (any flavor except the Steyr) is a "double duty" type of rifle, that is from up close to easily over 300 yards so you need a versatile scope AND good light transmission. The S&B depicted is a great choice and in my view the Z6 1.7X10X42 even better. In fact it's perfect. jorge
...........Well aware of the lack of light transmission of the 1.5-5x20s. However, with my keen eyes I won`t have an issue in lower light circumstances which I very seldom hunt in anyway. I have used my Alaskan on a few hog hunts under lower light and really have not had much of a too dark issue.

As of yet, I haven`t read or heard of any situation where a big game animal was lost in lower light using a 1.5-5x20 Leupold. I`m sure there are a few 1.5-5x20 Leupys floating around mounted on DGR rifles used on this continent and over in Africa. However, that is not to say, that it is not more difficult under certain lower light situations using the 1.5-5x20.

And even though I could afford to, I`m not putting a $1500-$2000 and heavier scope on a lesser expensive Ruger Alaskan. I don`t prefer larger belled scopes (over 33mm) on DGRs.

Besides! I like the Leupy warranties.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (160user, 22250rem, 1minute, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,479
Posts18,490,041
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.