Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Azar
John,

A bit off topic but do you know of an inexpensive method for measuring how far the shoulder is set back upon resizing? Most people claim to aim for 0.002", but how is that best measured? And can it be done simply?

Thanks.

Not John, but an inexpensive method.

I use MEC bushings and a caliper. Takes 30 seconds to check. Put the fired brass and the bushing in the caliper, zero the caliper. Put a sized brass and the bushing in the caliper, read the caliper. Caliper reading is shoulder setback - in my case the caliper reads -0.002"

I centered the base of the brass against the sliding jaw. Centered the bushing on the fixed jaw. Supported the bushing/brass with fingers and slowly rotated them until they centered themselves - which you could feel. Ignored the reading until had the feel and checked the numbers.

Pictures show the fired brass.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image] [/quote]

It's not that Liberals are unwilling to listen to another point of view, they are just simply amazed that another one exists.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Con,

That's what I'm doing currently. Of course, I have no way to measure how much the shoulder is getting set back. Maybe it's one of those things I should call "good enough" and not worry about the rest...

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
mtnfisher,

Thanks for the post. What are the MEC bushings? Are these bushings for shotshell reloaders? That's the only MEC I'm familiar with...

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yep, MEC powder bushings.

It's not that Liberals are unwilling to listen to another point of view, they are just simply amazed that another one exists.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
So is the short - short version of the story - just use a neck sizer if you are using new brass

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You can use a fired pistol case as a "bushing" for many centerfire rifle rounds.

A 40S&W works good for measuring a 30-06.

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a machinist make up some bushings with various sized holes for the experessed purpose of checking shoulder set back, 1 - 2 thou seems about right for good case longivity. I size virgin brass to fit the rifles chamber, this rarely/never causes a shoulder set back. The die manufacturers recommendation of full length size, bumping over on the shell holder type size is bad advice and poor practice, unless it can be done with out shoulder set back, Redding makes + sized shell holders to accomplish this. Sizing to fit chamber does not do much if anything to the body but does make the case mouth round. Not an expert here but just think of the mechanics of what your doing and trying to achieve.

Last edited by Furprick; 04/12/12.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
John,

A bit off topic but do you know of an inexpensive method for measuring how far the shoulder is set back upon resizing? Most people claim to aim for 0.002", but how is that best measured? And can it be done simply?

Thanks.

Not all that inexpensive at around $80+, but Larry Willis makes a great device for measuring shoulder set back. His company is Innovative Technologies. Check them out on line at http://www.larrywillis.com/

I have no stock in Larry's company, just like the products.

DF

C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Con,

That's what I'm doing currently. Of course, I have no way to measure how much the shoulder is getting set back. Maybe it's one of those things I should call "good enough" and not worry about the rest...

I borrowed a fancy tool to measure it, and discovered that what I'd been doing was pretty spot on. I have other die sets where the adjustment is off the shellholder, but again I just sneak down until I get easy closing with a hint of feel at the bottom of the bolt stroke. I'm kind of glad I got to redirect $100 towards projectiles rather than a measuring tool.
Cheers...
Con

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have tried using the Hornady OAL bushings. I choose a caliber large enough to fit over the neck to about half way down the shoulder. Works for the smaller calibers but I do not have a bushings large enough for 7mm and up. Any one else tried this?

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B3

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Yes I do!

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F

Last edited by FTR_Shooter; 04/14/12.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter
Not off topic at all. I use the Stoney Point headspace guages, now sold by Hornady.

http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-Load-Headspace-Kit-With-Body-1-Each/

What I do is I take measurements of my virgin brass using the proper bushing for the caliber. Then I measure my fired cases and from there, I adjust my sizing die to push back the shoulder so that a resized case will be pushed back between .001 and .002, if this is for the same rifle only. If I want to have it work in multiple rifles of the same caliber, I adjust the sizing die to push the shoulder back to match the virgin brass size.

It takes a little while to adjust the sizing die properly but I think it's worth it.

That'll do but the RCBS Precision MIC is faster and easier, plus it gives you a readout in thousanths of an inch relative to the SAAMI specs for that cartridge. The downside is they are $50+ per caliber. As MD said, I've noticed a bit of shoulder-to datum line variation on even the most meticulously adjusted dies. I've found gas guns need a minmum of two-thousanths of "slop" to run and three is better.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

409 members (10Glocks, 163bc, 12344mag, 1badf350, 160user, 17CalFan, 30 invisible), 2,225 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,453
Posts18,529,007
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.