Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tuffcity
You need to rock it old school. smile Winchester Alaskan with a redfield peep! lol

[Linked Image]

RC

I was just eyeballing some of those over at gunbroker earlier today.....Nice!!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
You need to rock it old school. smile Winchester Alaskan with a redfield peep! lol

[Linked Image]

RC

I was just eyeballing some of those over at gunbroker earlier today.....Nice!!!!

I have had three of these and packed one, in particular, in a Clifton Arms stock and custom irons, many a hard mountain mile when working in the bush alone. They are a bit too long and heavy, but, with some trimming, they are still the best working .375H&H rifles available.

I have, as I posted, a pair in .300/.375 that are in Borden-Rimrock handles and these are FINE rifles, the .300s have the best balance for offhand field shooting of any rifle I have tried and that is literally hundreds.

If, I were 15 years younger, I would have one of the 'smiths who does much of Ralf Martini's metal work, build me a pair of .375s on this action and my specs are much like Rembos, above, except I will not use Edge stocks on .338s, .375s or above. Might work, but, my cherished ZG-47 9.3x62 is as heavy a round as I will go with an Edge.

Funny, the younger guys love to rant and bellow about the .375 Ruger and how it is so "superior" and all that crap, but, the old "ouch and ouch" just keeps rollin', kinda like "Ol' Man River" and it gets 'er done and is actually quite easy to shoot well.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This still makes me sick (that it wasn't me). A few months back there was an auction with a lot of good stuff in a town about a hundred miles or so away. A friend of mine went. I stayed home to read posts on this site or some other equally important thing. He came home with a Brown Precision Pro Hunter in 375 H&H (the one on the 700 action) with a Kahles 1.5-6 scope with the No. 4 reticle. The rifle is in great shape, 95% easily. The price? $850 out the door for the whole thing.

I don't know what it weighs.

Last edited by stantdm; 04/01/12.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Too much sentimental value for me to ever "chop" it or rework the old girl. It's 9 pounds of fun and I like it just the way it is anyway.

In celebration of it's 58th year it's going grizzly hunting this coming May. smile

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Too much sentimental value for me to ever "chop" it or rework the old girl. It's 9 pounds of fun and I like it just the way it is anyway.

In celebration of it's 58th year it's going grizzly hunting this coming May. smile

[Linked Image]

Very nice! Where at?

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nice looking rig you've got there. I just had one cobbled together by Redneck from parts purchased on the 'fire. SS Win 70 classic action and SS 24" factory .375 H&H barrel with factory sights,factory wood stock and Leupold quick detach bases and rings with a 1.5x5 Leupold. Haven't even shot it yet but it weighs more than I would like at 9# 9 oz.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

[Linked Image]

Very commendable....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I should stress here,that I have now owned four .300H&H, three .375H&H rifles and three original P-64 H&H salvaged actions,which I bought as bare actions. My custom rifles in .375H&H have been built on these and one original,which was modded when I bought it.

I do not, have never and will never modify original Brno 21/22, ZG, ZKK, FN, HVA or P-64 Mod. 70s and I have a whack of these. I will ONLY install good synthetic stocks on them and keep the originals to keep them as pristine as possible.

That said, I like to find "donner" or "beater" rifles in all the above actions to build on and I have been quite successful at this, hence,the custom pieces I refer to.

Since Duane Weibe is now producing and inexpensive "fix"to have the Classic Mod 70s accept 4+1 as the P-64 H&H rifles do, I would build on one of those and, in fact, have a custom .338WM and .308Win on sts Classics in Micky Fwts.as "truck guns".

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Dewy--why the M-70 over the FN-LE for a 375--feeding?

Defend the Constitution
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I would look around and find a nice NH 375 Supergrade with pretty walnut, rub the finish down flat, matte cerakote all metal including bases and rings, zero irons at 50 yds, and outfit rifle in a set of Talley QD's that housed a 1.75-6 Leupold.

Get a nice McMillan syn stock bed combo in that for rough weather, and have a spare glass zeroed and in Talleys just in case.

Rifle weight would not be a concern, heck, a pair of muddy boots will weigh 12 lbs wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
rifle weight matters more to me than CRF and 3 position safety combined. hunting with a 10# M70 led me directly to an 8# all-up M700

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I understand where your coming from toad.

Most all of my western hunting rifles will go close to ten lbs.

I used to be concerned about weight, but that was before i had the pleasure of packin' out a 100 lb elk ham shocked

Gunner

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I like my rifles light. I love my Sako Synthetic Model 85 375 H&H. A well stocked 375 H&H needs no additional weight.

It was only 7lbs even - in the box. It's the best factory rifle I have ever owned. Nothing else comes close.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Weight is certainly a consideration in the scenarios depicted above, but we have to remember why and for where the 375 was designed for and clearly that type of terrain was not a consideration. If it was that Sako would get my vote. BTW, what do you hunt in places like that requiring a 375?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Moose and grizzlies.

I've beheaded a few Blue Grouse too... wink

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i carry a rifle year 'round on my various pursuits, hunting or not. some days it's a .223 and some days it's a .375. just depends on how i feel that day. i look out my window at designated wilderness that connects to YNP, so we have various things that bite, if i felt the need to justify a caliber choice.

a handy .375 can easily multi-task

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
For the perfect .375 I would nominate a SXS double barreled rifle in the rimmed cartridge version. Maybe with a detachable scope mount.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
A 375 Flanged double is a sure nuff sweetheart, but i wouldnt wanna drag it out in the nasties wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Brown does a controlled round feed on the 700's. Has the long extractor like a M-70. Does this gun have that conversion?

DF

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bearstalker: Being a BC resident I (along with my wife) drew a spring grizzly tag for the central coast of BC.

I pack this rifle around more because of a promise I made than necessity. I like the rig but it is over kill for some of the stuff I hunt so some days it sits at home.

RC

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

495 members (007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 1lesfox, 160user, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 46 invisible), 2,263 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,483
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.