Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I know it's only a single-shooter... But dang it's treated me well in the few years I've owned it. Accurate. Easy packing. Easy to shoot. Pretty doggone reliable too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've also had it out for elk, but didn't get a shot opportunity. Eventually I'd like to use it on moose, grizzly, and maybe even a trip to Africa. It's already done rather well in Africa, in the hands of a distinguished previous owner... Poor thing is slumming now. grin

GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice rifle and bear GuyM, I like the old single shooters too. grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice fn rifles there but let me ask you guys this. I'm wanting a nice 375 H&H but already have a killer 338 win mag. Gunner, I know you love your 338 too.... Do the majority of you buy these 375's in hopes you will someday go to africa or not feel undergunned in the alaskan wilderness? I can see having one in africa since it is the minimum caliber requirement there but won't the 338 work just as well as the 375 in 90% of most scenerios.....Flame suit on so bomb away... whistle Give me some good reasons to buy a 375 H&H......and don't tell me because of the "cool factor"....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
They will both work, I got into the 375's for the same reasons I did the 7X57MM, just plain cool and fun to shoot.

Plus, I got my first bull elk with a 375 H&H firing the old Barnes 250 gn X bullet.

Looking down the road yes, that played a roll in it also.

It's just so dang universal, WT deer to elephant wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No excuse nor reason needed to buy a .375 H&H if you truly want one.

However, you bring up a good point. If Africa is in the cards, a .375 H&H makes perfect sense.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Nice fn rifles there but let me ask you guys this. I'm wanting a nice 375 H&H but already have a killer 338 win mag. Gunner, I know you love your 338 too.... Do the majority of you buy these 375's in hopes you will someday go to africa or not feel undergunned in the alaskan wilderness? I can see having one in africa since it is the minimum caliber requirement there but won't the 338 work just as well as the 375 in 90% of most scenerios.....Flame suit on so bomb away... whistle Give me some good reasons to buy a 375 H&H......and don't tell me because of the "cool factor"....

bsa,you can flip that argument around.....after having some 338's and 375's at the same time,I liked them both but it dawned on me that there was nothing I could do with a 338, that I could not do with a 375H&H.

There are few animals here where a medium of any type is required, and the 375 made more sense if Africa became a possibility.There are not many things that you can't do with todays 250,260, or 270 gr bullets in the 375H&H or Ruger cases.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I had a really lightweight and dead accurate Rem KS Mountain Rifle for a bit. I killed a couple of bull elk with it then sold it off knowing there was no need for such a rifle for me in the Americas. I have since purchased a BRNO ZKK 375 that is what I believe to be the perfect 375 for I intend to do with it which is to whack a buffalo or two or three It is currently having the barrel lopped to 23" with a new sling swivel band and banded front sight being added and will be good to go. Should go a bit under 9# with the 1.5-5x Leupold mounted as the stock is quite a lightweight.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by toad
rifle weight matters more to me than CRF and 3 position safety combined. hunting with a 10# M70 led me directly to an 8# all-up M700

x2! .... besides, most of us don't hunt real "dangerous game" with our 375s anyways. grin

Never could figure out why a PF 270 is ok, but a 375 HAS to be a CRF for the same hunting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tony
I had a really lightweight and dead accurate Rem KS Mountain Rifle for a bit. I killed a couple of bull elk with it then sold it off knowing there was no need for such a rifle for me in the Americas. I have since purchased a BRNO ZKK 375 that is what I believe to be the perfect 375 for I intend to do with it which is to whack a buffalo or two or three It is currently having the barrel lopped to 23" with a new sling swivel band and banded front sight being added and will be good to go. Should go a bit under 9# with the 1.5-5x Leupold mounted as the stock is quite a lightweight.

[Linked Image]

Man that's a nice rifle! 21" or 22" would be my max for bbl length depending on the length of the forearm.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thats a damn nice rifle Tony, that rifle and 300 gn partitions would be heaven in the hands and pure hell on the business end.

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I have both, have had .338s since January, 1968 and .375s since April, 1983. There is NO "real" reason to own/shoot both and for larger North American game, as in B.C., the Yukon, NWT and Alaska, based on what I have experienced in all of these places, since 1964, the .338WM is the better choice.

The .338WM has been my "favourite" cartridge for 40+ years, I now load only 250 gr. bullets in my six rifles so chambered and it simply works with lower recoil and lighter rifle weight.

I have rifles, some 34 big game bolt rifles at present as I have been slowly culling and selling my collection, because I love rifles and messing around with them. However, I never try to tell myself or anyone else, that I actually NEED all of these or most of the chamberings. It is fun and that is reason enough and my wife supports my "habit" as she seems to be fond of me.....

I am not saying here that the .338WM is the better choice if you want to hunt worldwide, I don't, never have, merely that it is a better rig for big NA game and mountain hunting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I owne both the 338WinMag and the 375H&H and tend to favour the 338 here in Canada simply because it has done everything I have ever asked of it in the last 30 years including target shooting.(yes I know I am an idiot but the rifle is so darn accurate.)

My 375 will be hunted this year in canada because it needs to get some real world experience and I want to build some trust. It is a CZ Safari classic and I like the 25inch barrel. The rifle is unscoped and the express sights shoot 50yd 1"groups so it is plenty accurate. At 100 I can get only 4" but that is me not the rifle.

Do not hesitate to go with both if that is your desire.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Tuffcity
You need to rock it old school. smile Winchester Alaskan with a redfield peep! lol

[Linked Image]

RC

have the twin to this of yours but in the .338 WM, looks hard used like mine with that R70 peep....real sweet! It is quite handy and light!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Ah, one of my 2-3 favourite rifles, the superb P-64 Mod. 70 "Alaskan" in .338WM and .375H&H. I have had five of them in .338, have four very choice ones now, and three in .375, have a real beauty left and I think that these are THE "cats'azz" for BC-Alaska hunting and bushwork as in remote solo camps for resource management-environmental studies.

I wish that the newest issue of these, in stainless,a rifle I consider the best idea Winny has had for a long, long time, had the original trigger as I dislike enclosed triggers on my hunting rifles. A pair of these with a little custom work, Talley-Brockman "peep"mounts and Zeiss Conquests in Mickies would be "perfect"for this neck of the woods.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by Tony

[Linked Image]

Man that's a nice rifle! 21" or 22" would be my max for bbl length depending on the length of the forearm.

I considered shorter but the length of the action made proportions get a bit goofy at less than 23" it seemed.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by handwerk
Lets say you'll use it on alaska's bears, and some day a trip to Africa. What would you put together for the the ideal 375H&H?
action, barrel, stock and scope? What should it weigh when all is said and done?

this is my third try at the (my idea of) perfect 375 H&H

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

21.5" Shilen stainless #4, metalwork by greydog, I did the cerakote, painting and bedding into a Pacific Research stock I'd had squirreled away.

It weighs 7-14 just as pictured with the steel talleys and the 1.75-6 Leupold, which is on the light side of my targeted weight, but as a smart guy somewhere here said, recoil is momentary but gravity is forever.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Is there a pop up peep sight?

DF

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
That is one of those old Redfield "Ace-in-the-hole" peeps, that my buddy, "Free-Miner" got from my stash of old parts. They are quite neat, but, I perfer the Brockman-Talley "peeps" and am waiting for a 'smith in the US to do a custom "peep" and base for Talley rings that will fit "F-Ms"and my Dakota 76 rifles plus our various P-64s.

I have one of "F-M's first builds much like the above, but, with a 20" sts Classic barrel and it shoots 300 NPs into "bugholes" and looks "OK",too!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by free_miner
Originally Posted by handwerk
Lets say you'll use it on alaska's bears, and some day a trip to Africa. What would you put together for the the ideal 375H&H?
action, barrel, stock and scope? What should it weigh when all is said and done?

this is my third try at the (my idea of) perfect 375 H&H

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

21.5" Shilen stainless #4, metalwork by greydog, I did the cerakote, painting and bedding into a Pacific Research stock I'd had squirreled away.

Nice! In a synthetic stocked rifle, bout as good as it gets! And it is possible to get a M70 under 8 pounds.

I sent Dirtfarmer a pic of another we built on a M70,that weighs almost exactly the same as Freeminer's rifle.

Well done!

Last edited by BobinNH; 04/06/12.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yup, "F-M" also did a really neat little 9.3x62 on a rebored P-64,shortened tube and hollowed and trimmed Boyd's lam. handle. He sold it to me year before last, then "needed" it back and just sold it to another chap here.

I kinda wanted it, but, cash is tight and I am having a "working" 9.3 built from a newish CZ-550 and a Micky AHR stock, AHR trigger and 3-pos. safety and Martini front ramp-post and Recknagel peep plus Talleys and whatever scope. I love P-64s, but, actually the Brno-CZ actions are my overall favourites,especially for "custom" builds like this and even I can only "justify" so many rifles of one type to my "CEO"..... wink

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,410
Posts18,489,010
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.