Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
byd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nsaqam I bet you read Chuck Hawks before you go to bed every night.

GB1

Rog Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Buy one,you won't regret it..Sweet trigger right outa the box no honing just load it up and go.I went with Leupold bases and rings and put on a limbsaver pad,but lets face it any gun any of us buy we're gonna mess with,its kinda the nature of a rifle looney ain't it?

"You gotta accomplish something every day. When you go to bed at night ask yourself what you did today, there better be something on the list" Robin Carlson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
I am considering a Tikka lite in .243. Good or bad idea?

That is a good idea in my opinion. I did the very same thing about two months ago. The three factory loads (Horn 95 SST SF, Win 95 BST, Rem 80 PSPCL) I've tried so far a sub-inch. The only thing I really wish were different is I wish it were twisted fast enough to handle 105 VLDs.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by byd
Nsaqam I bet you read Chuck Hawks before you go to bed every night.

Chuck Hawks is an idiot but even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then!

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Nsaqam, sorry about your bad experience. I can't remember owning a rifle of any kind that really had any serious problems unless a problem developed from me tinkering too much.

So you must have got rid of it with no regrets then. Too bad.

Oh yes, that baby went down the road with no regrets! grin

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Perhaps the whole short fat thing is an issue. Never have seen the need or what short fat does that many other well established rounds do not do. If one wants an SA the Tikka is about the last on the list. Sorry that it did not work for you. The stock rings are not that good, and the set screws are weak. Have the stock setup on both mine and so far no issues. I did not really crank on them however.

Hated the only other WSM I had too, the 7WSM.

Won't be buying another WSM in this lifetime.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rog
Buy one,you won't regret it..Sweet trigger right outa the box no honing just load it up and go.I went with Leupold bases and rings and put on a limbsaver pad,but lets face it any gun any of us buy we're gonna mess with,its kinda the nature of a rifle looney ain't it?

Yep. Kinda hard to just lettem alone regardless of how they shoot. Surely we can make em a little better. whistle

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

B
byd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
OH my bad, Chuck and you sound like brothers when it comes to rifle opinions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by byd

No, Chuck is all idiot, I'm only half! grin

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Originally Posted by byd

No, Chuck is all idiot, I'm only half! grin

And if you don't believe that, just axe Larry Root.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Never drank Chuck's kool-aid. Sometimes could agree most times wondering WTFO, not my experience. Then again I'm not trying to sell anything, just what has worked or me from my experience.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
To date, each and every one I've been around has shot balls out! Light rigs, cost effective, incredibly accurate. They'll get it done and then some.

Dober

I bought one in .308 a few years ago. I needed a lightweight reliable rifle to use for late season elk, which usually means snowshoes &/or skiis.

The gun is a little over 7 pounds, up & ready to go. It consistently puts 3 rounds touching in a target, with a group measurement of .5 or .6.

The downsides are minor to me. Extra clips are expensive, & you can't top load single cartridges.

The trigger is excellent, & the action is fast & smooth. I think you'll be quite happy if you buy one.
Jim

+1 to both sentiments

Just got one of the Superlites in .308--couldn't be happier for what I wanted. The stock looks and feels cheap but it is fairly stiff compared to, say, Rem's SPS or Hogue stuff.

Better trigger, smoother bolt, intergral bases and shoot awesome. Everything I wanted in my 'truck/beater' hunting rifle. 6 lbs 10 oz all up and throws the Hornady 165's well under an inch.

However, if I was buying a .243, I'd want to shoot the 105 Amax and would want a faster tube--YMMV. A beautiful, classic rifle they aren't. Excellent tools they are.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have had 3 Tikka T3 Lites.Still have my 270 WSM.All are very accurate Rifles with zero problems.Would buy another if the caliber trips my trigger.

Last edited by Huntz; 03/31/12.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Jericho
Im sure they will eventually start making different action
sizes.

They used to make 2 action sizes,but to economize went to one.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a T3 Super Light in .30-06. 1:11 barrel, shoots 220 grain bullets into 7/8" groups at 100 yards with a load that was developed for a different rifle. Pretty it ain't, but it works well enough for what it's for. Looking forward to tailoring a 200 gr. NP for it.

It would be a better rifle if the plastic bolt shroud was aluminum, you could top load it, and the mag release functioned better in freezing rain.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BigBuck, Get the Tikka and enjoy some trouble free shooting. Rings work fine.
Recoil pad too hard? WaaWaa! Really? On a 243? Or any other skinny caliber for that matter. Remember when men used to actually shoot guns with steel butts?
Let us know WHAT it shoots---we all know HOW it'll shoot.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 338Federal
BigBuck, Get the Tikka and enjoy some trouble free shooting. Rings work fine.
Recoil pad too hard? WaaWaa! Really? On a 243? Or any other skinny caliber for that matter. Remember when men used to actually shoot guns with steel butts?
Let us know WHAT it shoots---we all know HOW it'll shoot.

Deal...

Yeah, recoil pads are mostly there to keep the stock from splitting when you set em down.

Don't really need one on a .243, I think.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a big Tikka fan.

Tikka #1 - stainless Lite in 300 WSM. Shot cheap Federal softpoints (blue box) sub-MOA out to 300 yards (never tried longer distances with this ammo). Shot Remington Premium ammo sub-MOA out to 400 yards. Boringly accurate with factory ammo (I didn't reload then).

Tikka #2 - blued Lite in 300 Win Mag. Absolute tackdriver with 200gr Accubonds. Load used Retumbo and was slow. Have since moved on to Ramshot Magnum. It was under 1" at 100 yards with Core-Lokts, but I never tried any other factory ammo with this rifle.

Tikka #3 - stainless fluted Super Light in 300 Win Mag - shoots 5/8" at 100 yards with 200gr Accubond and 81.5gr Magnum. Dead nuts on out to 400 yards.

Tikka #4 - blued Varmint in .223 - only shot one factory load in it just to collect the brass. Used 55gr Rem UMC. 5/8" at 100 yards with ease. Probably even better with a more stable rest (my folding table was sinking in the mud!).

I don't hate Remchesters, Salvages, Witherbees, Bugers, etc. but none that I have tried shoot as well or easily as a Tikka! laugh In my limited experience, you can grab a Tikka and factory ammo and fully expect it to shoot under 1" at 100 yards. Others seem to have the same experience/opinion. Not so with any of the others, plus they all weigh quite a bit more which I do not care for. I've spent time behind 77, 700, etc rifles that seemed like I was wasting my life trying to get a decent group. One ammo brand after another trying to make those rifles happy. The Tikka just seems to produce with whatever you give it. I think they just use a good barrel, and have a good way to bed the action even if that little lug doesn't make some people all warm and fuzzy.

Savage would be my #2 choice if Tikkas were no longer imported.

Last edited by 4th_point; 03/31/12.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I couldn't come up with a reason to slum a 1-10" twist 243, regardless of make.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
What did Remington do with their 6mm? Supposed to be a better design that Winchesters 243. I do not have a 243 Tikka, but do know that twist can and will make a differance. What does the OP what the rifle to do? Varmits or LG?

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,332 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,944
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.