-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an Interarms Whitworth Manlicher in 270 Win that is heavy as lead. I like the rifle and it shoots good but it is just not handy like it should be. I love the looks of the Remington Model 7MS with the 20 inch barrel and will likely be stocking a Model 7 I have in 338 Fed like that.

I also like the picture with the toes in it. Just seems to add a personal touch! grin

Harry
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Moses
I have handled the Sako, RSI, and the Remington in the full stock. I do like the feel of the Remington. If they get too European looking (big sights, no sights, butterknife bolt handles, double set triggers, huge drops in the buttstock)I see an image of Saddam Hussein firing one in the air and it turns me off. Never seen a Husqvarna. I see one of the online gun brokers has one in .308 for $510. The hood on the front is missing and so is rear.

Isn't that the point? I love my .250 RSI but will take just about any stutzen model coming out of Europe over it.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a faux 7 MS, a stainless barreled action in a 7 MS laminated stock that some guy parted out when he used the action as the basis for a custom rifle. Kind of an expensive way to get a blue CM 7 donor action, but maybe there was a good reason.

Or not.

Jeff

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't like the split bridge, the forward position of the bolt handle, or the comb of the stock on Mannlicher-Schoenhauers. Except for the plastic magazines, I can't think of much not to like the Steyr-Mannlichers.

If the rifle is going to be scoped, I think that the Husqvarna mannlichers are the best handling of the bunch, with the Sakos, Remington 7 MS, and long action Ruger 77 RSIs following in that order.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm partial to the Mannlicher Schoenauer's myself, but the CZ will get the job done!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"Not a Gun Free Zone"
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a picture of myself standing at the same place Saddam was holding my M 4 in the air. I have a Ruger RSI tang safety in 250 Savage that just feels perfect.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
$1751 is the lowest price I ever heard for a full-stock M7, and 260 is a sweet little deer caliber, but it's still a lot of money. I never understood what it is about them that makes them so expensive. Personally, I would prefer a walnut stock over laminated, but the stability of the laminate does make sense in a full-stocked rifle.

$510 is a good price for a Ruger. I had a 308 once but got the wanderlust (again) and traded it for something else.

I know of a Mannlicher Shoenauer 1905 in caliber 9x56 for sale. The price is $850 but it is very used. It has some extra holes in the receiver where a scope mount was added at one time (mount now missing) and the stock has quite a few dings and dents in it. There is an adjustable peep mounted on the receiver (Lyman IIRC) but the front sight blade is missing (front sight base is still there). It appears to function correctly and it still has the heart and soul of a sweet little MS. I was tempted but I need that rifle like a hole in the head. It could probably be had for $850 OTD as that is about the limit the shop will bargain these days. If someone is interested in this rifle, send me a PM and I'll disclose it's whereabouts. I think they will ship to your FFL.

I found a like-new Mossberg 800 once in 308 for $350 but didn't buy it. Wish many times that I had.

One slight advantage of the short-barreled guns is that you can let your hand rest down at your side with the barrel pointed downward and the muzzle doesn't reach the dirt (or a few inches of snow). It's a minor point but it is there. When it comes right down to the nitty gritty I just cannot afford all the rifles I like and the full-stocked ones always got eclipsed by classic walnut-stocked guns.

Full-stocked sporting rifles I have owned include (IIRC all of them):
Ruger M77RSI in 308;
Ruger M77RSI MkII in 30-06;
Ruger #1RSI 7x57;
Interarms Mark X 30-06;
CZ550FS 9.3x62;

I'm sure there were others but...now what was I talking about? grin The Mark X and CZ wanted their scopes so high I had to raise my head off the stock. In the final analysis the one I should have kept is the '06 RSI. It kicked like a mule with full 180gr loads but I could have loaded some dedicated rounds for it with lighter bullets at lower velocity (or shot factory reduced recoil ammo).

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Nothing sweeter than a full stocked Mannlicher-Schoenauer. If you put a straight edge on the bottom of the forearm from the front screw up to the muzzle cap on one, you will notice an ever so slight concavity. It's not a straight line. That is what gives it its svelte elegance. Other full stocked guns that don't have that subtle feature look like clubs IMO.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you carry a MS, full stock or not, by it's magazine balance point you will notice how wide and uncomfortable it is.

The Brno 22F is far more narrow at that carry point and also a better looking rifle. I have both.

So did this gunshop.

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I brought both the MS .358 and the Brno 22F up here by me and measured them again. The MS is 2.0" wide at its carry point under its magazine and the 22F is 1.7".

To the hand that's noticeable.

While this MS ranks higher in 'cache' being known by the rank and file, a .358 and new it does not have the feel of a 22F. Both have 20" barrels and full stocks. The 22F weighs 5oz. less, has DST's and a M70 type safety added.

As you know the MS has a tang trigger safety and a wing on the cocking piece however that hits the scope and cannot be used.

Some old guns at a show.
[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've owned two CZ's plus the Mauser and Sako pictured below. I don't think these two will be finding a new home anytime soon.

Best

GWB

[Linked Image]

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
As far as Manlickers go I love the rifle but hate the sin!

Not very many of them in LH Stehr built a LH one in the 80,s I believe.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I love the looks of most full stocked rifles and have always had a yen for one of the SAKOs..... thanks to some guy named Wooters.

The early SAKOs are of slender profile and open grip and a joy to carry and shoot. Mine wears a 2x7 Leupold and I wouldn't want to handicap it with anything bigger.
I got to handle one of the full stock Vixen models and they're one of the coolest firearms ever made, IMHO!

I really like the Ruger RSI's as well - preferring the short action over the long, but feeling that they would balance a wee bit better with slightly longer barrel....say 20 or 21..JMO.
[Linked Image]
Some day I'm going to find a used sa 700 adl and and lengthen the stock by adding walnut with a small ebony tip, shaped to a modest schnabel....... someday.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I only have two, a Custom Shop M-7 in .257 Roberts, and a CZ .22 Magnum.

For Kentucky, I don't really need anything else.
[Linked Image]

In the sixties I had a wonderful .222 Sako Vixen that was traded for a Browning Superposed. Yes, at one time they were valued equally. I also had a tang safety RSI .308 which was amazingly accurate. It was lost in a fire (SOB).

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My CZ550FS is about the right weight for its 9.3X62 chambering. For a sub .30 cal. rifle I would want something lighter. The CZ Bavarian stock works fine for me. The action smooths up a lot by being worked frequently. Mine is also very accurate withought any "tuning."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I kind of like the full stocked rifles. Here are a few:

[Linked Image]

From the top:
9.3X62
6.5X54
9X56
8X56
6.5X54

They have all been used on the local whitetail here in ks.

edit to add one more, a 30-06 that was born the same year I was, 1952.
It's held up much better than I have.....

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 65X54; 04/01/12.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/03/chris-dumm/three-commemorative-guns-you-won%E2%80%99t-be-seeing-soon/

this guy thinks its a MS

but it does look like a ruger...

[Linked Image]

I wonder what caliber, and I wonder if it came in a box marked "deliver to Jordanian Ministry of Defense"

caught the muzzle blast on camera...

[Linked Image]

Poole

Last edited by Bill Poole; 04/02/12.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
If memory serves, it was a 308 Winchester Ruger RSI. I saw an article about it somewhere else on the Internet some years ago.

Note the fore end checkering, red butt pad, fore end sling bar.

The picture I saw some time ago had good detail.

Got it covered with the 22 LR, 30-06, and 12 gauge.
The rest are just for fun.
NRA Life Member
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Has anyone else had the problems I had with the only two FS rifles I tried?

One was a M/S 6.5 and the other a Ruger 308.

Both started to wander WAY off after the third shot. The third shots were always on their way, also. Once these two warmed up they were useless.

I LOVE the esthetics of a full stock and was awfully disappointed.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I only have 2. Ruger hawkeye 7X57 and a CZ 550 FL .308
[Linked Image]

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 2,117 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,775
Posts18,495,739
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.