Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Just back off a mallet stroke at a time until it'll open without the mallet and you're there... laugh

DF

Thank you sir! I believe you're on to something there! laugh

Anything short of that, you're leaving something on the table... laugh

5% is way too far back from the brink, er I mean edge... cool

DF

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Anything short of that, you're leaving something on the table... laugh

5% is way too far back from the brink, er I mean edge... cool

DF

By God, a man who thinks like I do! laugh laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like to move up until I need a rubber mallet to lift the bolt. Then I back off 5%.

j/k

Just back off a mallet stroke at a time until it'll open without the mallet and you're there... laugh

DF

If you use a cheater pipe it will work with bolts or with single shot levers grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I like to move up until I need a rubber mallet to lift the bolt. Then I back off 5%.

j/k

DF

If you use a cheater pipe it will work with bolts or with single shot levers grin

You'd need a torque wrench on your cheater pipe to measure foot pounds of resistance, thus indirectly, pressure for your soon to be published article on the subject.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A well-known custom gunsmith I used to know said that as long as he could Instant Glue new primers in the fired cases, he figured pressures were OK!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
A well-known custom gunsmith I used to know said that as long as he could Instant Glue new primers in the fired cases, he figured pressures were OK!

Thanks for the tip John.. whistle

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Nrut

Thanks for the tip John.. whistle

+1

Hadn't thought of that... laugh

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Somebody here once mentioned seeing a guy at the range who was oiling each round before chambering and then using a block of wood to hammer the bolt open after each shot. It was the only way he could make the speeds he was looking for. I recall the teller of the story mentioning that he moved far away from that guy's shooting bench. Darwin at work again?

Now with even more aplomb
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
John,

I love your signature line. It SO describes my life in general.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Glad you like it!

Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, a lot of my "real life" IS obsessing about rifles. As a matter of fact I'm going to spend the afternoon toiling away in my loading room....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
nice when your vocation and avocation are the same!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by southtexas

+1

Count that as a blessing.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

It can be. In a previous job I was in the bush all week. Then the weekend came, and it wasn't much fun to head back out into the same forest. I wanted a break from that.

A lot of jobs are like that. We go into them because we enjoy it. But when you are doing something because you have to, often it isn't fun anymore.

I expect JB doesn't get quite the kick out of reloading as some of us do for example! wink

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I hear ya. I told my hunting buddy if he had to work as hard for a living as he does hunting, he'd be complaining. He agreed.

DF

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
No offense, but I've never wanted my avocation and my vocation to be the same.
Can't tell you how many guys I've talked to/counseled that have been in the same business for 30 plus years and are bored to tears, wanting to chuck it all and do something different.

I've always been of the opinion, that if you'd rather be doing something else, then it's a job. Never wanted one of those, only and opportunity. Consequently I've never had one.

I'm sure many of you have friends that ask you to load ammo or do trigger jobs or glass bedding, zero a rifle and numerous other tasks that are gun related. Many will offer to pay. Same with making sausage or jerky. I refuse to do so.
If I take money then they have a claim on my time. Hunting and shooting are too important to become an obligation. I'm 60, have had several different careers. I've pretty much become bored with each after about 10 years or so.
I've been hunting for 54 of those 60 years, and reloading and collecting firearms for 20. I am more enamored of these avocations as the days go by.

Best

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

+1

DF

And probably could add vacation in there.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

+1

DF

Amen Brother, Amen...if only I could break into the tiny, competitive world of firearm manufacturing I'd gladly work until I died.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've never gotten bored with what I'm doing, probably because my writing career has varied somewhat. When I started out in my 20's I mostly wrote about equally on hunting and fishing, not firearms. It wasn't until 20 years later that I started writing about firearms, and in the meantime there was some side-tracking into Western history.

Even when I eventually phased out of fishing and more into firearms, there's an incredible variety of firearms writing that can be done, not just the basic division into rifles, shotguns and handguns, but optics, handloading, etc.

So far I haven't gotten bored at all. To the contrary, the biggest problem is figuring out how to do so many interesting things!

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by geedubya
No offense, but I've never wanted my avocation and my vocation to be the same.
Can't tell you how many guys I've talked to/counseled that have been in the same business for 30 plus years and are bored to tears, wanting to chuck it all and do something different.

I've always been of the opinion, that if you'd rather be doing something else, then it's a job. Never wanted one of those, only and opportunity. Consequently I've never had one.

I'm sure many of you have friends that ask you to load ammo or do trigger jobs or glass bedding, zero a rifle and numerous other tasks that are gun related. Many will offer to pay. Same with making sausage or jerky. I refuse to do so.
If I take money then they have a claim on my time. Hunting and shooting are too important to become an obligation. I'm 60, have had several different careers. I've pretty much become bored with each after about 10 years or so.
I've been hunting for 54 of those 60 years, and reloading and collecting firearms for 20. I am more enamored of these avocations as the days go by.

Best

GWB

Well said sir; I may have to reevaluate my reasoning regarding the relative merits of getting paid to do what you would do as a hobby anyway.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I've never gotten bored with what I'm doing, probably because my writing career has varied somewhat. When I started out in my 20's I mostly wrote about equally on hunting and fishing, not firearms. It wasn't until 20 years later that I started writing about firearms, and in the meantime there was some side-tracking into Western history.

Even when I eventually pheased out of fishing and more into firearms, there's an incredible variety of firearms writing that can be done, not just the basic division into rifles, shotguns and handguns, but optics, handloading, etc.
So far I haven't gotten bored at all. To the contrary, the biggest problem is figuring out how to do so many interesting things!

There once was a tome entitled "Do what you love, the money will follow", You sir are blessed!

Count me as a fan since, well..........

[Linked Image]

before that.

When you left, I did too.

Best

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (300_savage, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, AdventureBound, 11 invisible), 4,140 guests, and 689 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,810
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.