Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ColsPaul

But my favorite, tack drivin 9?
G 34. right out of the box.

I know it's a Glock, but have you fired one?
You'll be a believer.

I've not fired one. I hate Glock grips.

But, being open-minded, I'll just ask: Has anyone here hated a gun's grips when handling it but then found they enjoyed shooting it? Maybe I should give a Glock a try?

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Love my American made M & P

"Drop that or by the splendor of God I will blow your heart out." Kit Carson

"Make sure you are doing what God wants you to do then do it with all your strength." George Washington
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Waders
Originally Posted by ColsPaul

But my favorite, tack drivin 9?
G 34. right out of the box.

I know it's a Glock, but have you fired one?
You'll be a believer.

I've not fired one. I hate Glock grips.

But, being open-minded, I'll just ask: Has anyone here hated a gun's grips when handling it but then found they enjoyed shooting it? Maybe I should give a Glock a try?

I hate to say it but I had a Glock 21 that didn't fit me all that well but I could shoot lights out with the stupid thing. Don't know why although the trigger had been worked so that might have been it. I agree though, I don't care for their fit and especially with the 20 and 21's. That said, they do go bang just about every time you squeeze the trigger.

"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
-Thomas Jefferson
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm going to get a 9mm to shoot at the range only.

Emphasis mine.

A range gun to me is all about entertainment, developing some skills, and makin' empties. Whatever the virtues of XD's, Glocks, M&P's, etc., they are BORING. I'd poke my eyes out before selecting one as a range gun. That's like taking a station wagon to the race track. There are plenty of handguns that are fun to shoot, fun to fondle, and fun to own. High on the list of any remotely sane range-goer is the Browning Hi-Power.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Has anyone here hated a gun's grips when handling it but then found they enjoyed shooting it? Maybe I should give a Glock a try?

I don't know if i would go so far as to say "enjoy", but..

I've handled several guns I felt the grip was waaay too fat for comfort, but when I shot them it wasn't a problem.

On Glocks, I don't like the grip at all, but when I actually shoot them, I am so distracted by my dislike of the trigger that I don't even notice how I feel about the grip.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Since I'm spending your money, I choose a Sig P 210. Be the only kid on your block to run a quality piece such as this.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RufusG

On Glocks, I don't like the grip at all, but when I actually shoot them, I am so distracted by my dislike of the trigger that I don't even notice how I feel about the grip.

That's funny! grin

Wade

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
I'm going to get a 9mm to shoot at the range only.

Emphasis mine.

A range gun to me is all about entertainment, developing some skills, and makin' empties. Whatever the virtues of XD's, Glocks, M&P's, etc., they are BORING. I'd poke my eyes out before selecting one as a range gun. That's like taking a station wagon to the race track. There are plenty of handguns that are fun to shoot, fun to fondle, and fun to own. High on the list of any remotely sane range-goer is the Browning Hi-Power.

Not disagreeing, but what makes a gun "boring" to you. Just curious...

Wade

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
waders, Didn't want to be the first to mention the G word, but since the door has opened a tiny bit I'll stick a cheap, dependable, accurate, simple, light, comfortable, convertible shoe through the opening. Should I mention fun?
Never thought I'd like the grip angle either, two days handling changed that. Now it comes up with eyes closed and sight pic is flat when eyes open. Dangerous, as now 1911s feel funny and I want a quality 1911 in the future. Don't really know why.
I'd be the last to call a Glock classy or classic. They're kinda like an AR, functional and right, just not very decent looking.
As for triggers, none of these flat pistols have triggers that feel like good rifles or S&W DAs in SA mode.
Take a look at 40S&W as just a bbl change makes it a 9mm for little money, then ya can have both.
Glock 'n Roll.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

In the case of XD's, M&P's, etc., there is plenty that's boring. In comparison to the Hi-Power they aren't particularly accurate, they are striker fired (the worst Hi-Power trigger will be better), their ergos are terrible, they have no history, no pride of ownership, and no appeal - which is a nice way of saying "ugly".

The Boring Pistols have their place and everyone should own at least one, just not as a dedicated range gun.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B3

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 338Federal
waders, Didn't want to be the first to mention the G word, but since the door has opened a tiny bit I'll stick a ... comfortable... shoe through the opening.

No grief, but I will, respectfully, disagree--Glocks are not comfortable (to me). The grip is (1) huge with square corners, and (2)UNcomfortable to grasp. If somebody wants to give me one as a gift, I promise to shoot it. However, my money will not be spent on a Glock. I do appreciate your insights, though, but Glocks just don't work for me.

Wade

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks JOG, I appreciate your candor.

Having not shot a Hi Power, I cannot share your enthusiasm. I guess I need to get my mitts on one so I can understand the hub-bub.

Wade

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the XDm in 9, and like it. I am also a hipower and 1911 fan. The cz 76 is a great gun but the da trigger reach is too long for medium size hands.

My 2 cents is that the XDM is your best option.

Trust your gut.

“I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love, and it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.” John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A great pair of pistols for you would be the M&P9 and M&P22.

NRA Life Member
Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by supercrewd
A great pair of pistols for you would be the M&P9 and M&P22.

Hmmm....ask for a recommendation on one gun and get a recommendation for two guns--I love this place!

Great suggestion! smile

Wade

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I'd go with whichever fits your hand best, the new XDM 9mm Competition model is my next polymer pistol: long slide, adjustable rear sight mounted low, fiber-optic front sight, 3 19 round magazines. What's not to like? grin

In the steel frame 9mm's I like the CZ 75. I had a Browning Hi-Power, a factory hard-chromed sport model with the gold plated trigger. Nice pistol. Everyone should have a Browning Hi-Power, at least for a little while.

Last edited by Oregon45; 04/07/12.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JOG

In the case of XD's, M&P's, etc., there is plenty that's boring. In comparison to the Hi-Power they aren't particularly accurate, they are striker fired (the worst Hi-Power trigger will be better), their ergos are terrible, they have no history, no pride of ownership, and no appeal - which is a nice way of saying "ugly".

The Boring Pistols have their place and everyone should own at least one, just not as a dedicated range gun.
I have a different opinion then you. My Brother-in-law had a 9mm Browning Hi-power and my hunting partner has one in a 40 S&W. My XDM shoot tighter groups then their Browning Hi-powers. Nothing boring in my eyes in the Springfield XDM.

Last edited by 700xcr; 04/07/12.

Nothing like a Remington 700xcr.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Hi-Power and an XD. While I love the Hi-Power, I shoot the XD better. That leads me to shoot it more often, which leads me to shoot it even better! smile

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
9mm polymer range gun- I asked myself the same question and keep coming back to two with the front runner being the CZ Phantom. 4.7" barrel and great ergo's.

The other is a more expensive option but just hold one once and ..... that is the HK P30.

I have smallish hands so keep that in mind. I compared the XD and the M & P and was a sort of surprised but I liked the M & P better.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good words all--thanks!

Right now I am leaning toward an M&P Pro. I change my mind hourly--which is part of the fun! Surprisingly, I am having trouble getting a Kimber 1911 9mm out of my mind. I really like the feel of 1911's...

Wade

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

266 members (2ndwind, 308xray, 30Gibbs, 338Rules, 257_X_50, 33 invisible), 2,152 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,862
Posts18,478,596
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.