Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#6369222 04/03/12
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Strange BOG we've veered off into here,...."Re-creating"
Anybody actually SHOOTING BPCR or REAL BPCR Arty ?

2 POUNDS of ANY grade of BP, behind a 2 POUND hard cast round ball,Steel Gun,....

[Linked Image]

WTF would ANYBODY (legitimate) want to go to a REAL BPCR shoot ?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I REALLY do need to get myself one of these

[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b115/robbinmyers/08-0718-RBSIGHTIN.jpg[/img]

Do not INVEST,....buy cheap Dago replicas.
......dime a dozen, and most ALL of em' BETTER than this
Sarcasm OFF,....I expect Whiskey, ...and smiles, for making THIS point.

Swampchitspants will not be lifting a flagon with us.

Appears to LOATHE "BPCR" while madly posting about same.

Toxic,...that.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like BPCR fine, I just don't like cleaning rifles. Mine shoots as well as that with IMR-4198.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Hey Cross, did you shoot in last years Arizona State silhouette Championship?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anybody actually SHOOTING BPCR or REAL BPCR Arty ?
-----------------------------------------------------

dont have a match locally, have a couple not that much of a drive away but they dont advertise outside their world much and i usually find out about them the day of and cant skip town to go watch....

no rifle yet but wished i had the money for the one shrapnel put in the classifieds......a rifle from Shiloh is high on my list of wants.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Rattler, on Labor day Shiloh puts on their invitational match in Reed Point, lots to see and drool over, this year it is a 2 day match. It would be worth the drive if you have the bug!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
after my post i went looking through schedules......ill be driving through Forsyth on the Sunday of the Quigley shoot.....will prolly stop off and check that out.....even went so far as to write it down on the wifes calendar so i dont forget grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Do they allow greenhorn idiots like me to attend one of these shoots?

Specially iffin I stand over out of the way with my hands in my pockets, ears open, mouth closed grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rattler the Big Hill shoot will be June 9th 10 miles north of Baker , then again on Sept. 15
Dan Cash has his shoot at Sentinel Butte on July 16
Merv and Kathi Coates usually have their Peabody Pass Shoot at Rahm on the weekend after fathers day.
The Amidon BP club generally has their shoot the first weekend in August.
And the cremdelacrem of shoots in your part of the world , the Medicine Rocks on Sept.8
The Forsyth and Billings clubs shoot 2 or 3 times a month.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Sure they do, how do you think we get new shooters, most any one will let you try a few shots, it's usually enough to get someone wanting a bpcr. I know it was for me.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks, i didnt know if someone had to qualify first to shoot in a match.

I have a Sharps rifle, but its not one of the desirable cartridges for shooting.

Gunner

Last edited by gunner500; 04/04/12.

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gunner most gong shoots put a 38 caliber minimum , other than that there's really no desirable or undesirable catridges for shooting.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks Ranch, but my rifle is the un-ruly 45-120 Sharps, I have had good luck with it and the 540 gn PJ Creedmoor grease groove bullet at 1550 fps using FFG Swiss BP, cast 1 to 20.

But I am expecting a load of paper patch supplies in todays mail, thanks in part to Evil Twin dragging me over to the darkside smile

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First thing you need to do is set that powder aside and save it for the little cartridges. That cartridge will thrive on 1f and do it rather well without tearing your head off everytime you yank on the trigger.

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's a couple of "fun" on the range pics
First is looking down the barrel at the Quigley stopsign. [Linked Image]
Then this one Paul 39 took thru his spotting scope at Alliance, it shows the 800 yd buff, the 970 yd bear, and the 1000 yd.
[Linked Image]

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's one of Kenny Wasserburgers Creedmoor range.
[Linked Image]

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 800 yd target is hanging by one side , due to the chain got broke during a relay. Some blame it on Jeff F for pounding it to pieces with his 110, but I think it was a combination of things.

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Squad of levergunners at Medicine Rocks
[Linked Image]

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The "grizz" target at Big Hill
[Linked Image]

www.historicshooting.com
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Wonderful pics, looks like a blast for sure, ET and i are gonna head out West soon to see EH76 and look for some Buffler, it would be nice if we could all meet for a shoot or hunt, or both grin.

Have a powder compression die here threaded for my RCBS dies, and will look at some FG for the 45-120.

Story of that rifle is kinda weird, I walked into a local gun shop and saw a long barreled rifle standing on its butt on the end of the rack.

I ask to see it, I just wanted to make sure it was a real Sharps and had a good bore, it is, and it does, and also came with a Shiloh mid-range tang sight with a Hadley? eye cup, RCBS dies and 80 sticks of new Jamison brass.

$900 out the door, I couldnt leave it, and didnt know at the time it was a weird duck, so I have to make due with this slightly off the wall chambering.

I like it and it has always shot very good for me with the buckhorns.

Oh and recoil is OK, it weighs 12 lbs.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You got a hell of a buy on that. You can still get the Jamison brass from Grafs and BACO. When/if you get to going on these "gong" shoots you really need to have at least 150 rounds to take along.

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Aerial view of the Medicine Rocks in progress.
[Linked Image]

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Son Bob and daugherinlaw Kelli on the firing line at the Quigley.
[Linked Image]

www.historicshooting.com
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Whoops, I think i replied to soon Ranch, its up a bit in the middle of your pics, very beautiful by the way.

Have noticed one thing, I am guessing the barrels on the Sharps and Highwall rifles are not affected by resting the barrels on the shooting sticks, as opposed to resting the forearm only?

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No they aren't affected , but you do sort of have to play around with it to see where the sweet spot is. Usually that ends up being either right off the forend or about 4 inches back from the muzzle.
Resting out towards the muzzle does tend to give you a steadier rest than up close to the forearm.

www.historicshooting.com
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4, i did install a lace on leather recoil pad on the shotgun butt of my rifle, not because of the recoil, but to add a bit to the LOP, i just couldn't get my head around having that big tang sight that close to my face when that mother BOOMED wink

I pulled it off and ordered some nice filler screws from C Sharps, and will stick to the laddered buckhorn? for hunting.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gunner, after seeing a BUNCH of pics of Buffalo rifles used on the Texas Panhandle hunt, their forearms are nearly worn away. Mine had been replaced long ago. Easier to refinish or replace wood than steel.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey crossfire . . . Thanks for starting a thread that will hopefully not be hijacked off course. I DO shoot real BP in the three rifles below, as well as in a few other CF non-BPCR rifles and handguns.

45-70 Shiloh Sharps Hartford model, 30" hvy bbl, steel shotgun buttplate, Red River Sights (formerly Parts Unknown). WW cases, 70 gr Goex Ctg grade BP under a Lyman 457125 bullet cast 30:1, homemade lube, 0.035" card wad and Fed 215 primer is the normal load.

[Linked Image]

45-90 Shiloh Sharps #3 Sporter model, 30" hvy bbl, steel shotgun buttplate, semi-fancy wood. Starline cases, 70 gr Goex 1f BP under a Lyman 457132 bullet cast 30:1, homemade lube, 0.035" card wad and Fed 215 primer is the normal load.
[Linked Image]

45-70 Rolling Block, 34" hvy bbl, steel shotgun buttplate, the sight in the picture has been replaced with Red River Sights (formerly Parts Unknown). Same load data as the Hartford.

[Linked Image]

I built (with a lot of help from a good friend) the Rolling Block from an original action that had been barreled in .43 Egyptian caliber. It was built in the spring of 1997. The Hartford was ordered before the Roller was built, but the wait for a Shiloh was about 48 months at that time and I just had to have something to shoot before then - hence the Rolling Block. I ended up waiting 4 years, 10 months and 20 days for the Hartford and it was worth every minute. For the #3 Sporter I took the short route and ordered it from Shiloh's website. It was set up almost exactly as I would have custom ordered one. The wait for it was substantially shorter than for the Hartford - I placed the order on a Friday and had the rifle in hand the following Thursday . . .

Great pics so far . . . keep them coming.

Thanks again, crossfire. Carry on guys.

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Ranch13
You got a hell of a buy on that. You can still get the Jamison brass from Grafs and BACO. When/if you get to going on these "gong" shoots you really need to have at least 150 rounds to take along.

10-4 on the 150, and cleaning supplies.

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Gunner, after seeing a BUNCH of pics of Buffalo rifles used on the Texas Panhandle hunt, their forearms are nearly worn away. Mine had been replaced long ago. Easier to refinish or replace wood than steel.

I remember seeing a bit of wear on your original 45-110 at the Boar hunt, I can see this turning into another un-breakable habit laugh, But thats alright, I got the Wifeys blessings, she allowed a man can have ALOT worse habits than guns and huntin' LOL

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn nice shootin' irons there Otter wink

And Yes Cross, fine thread, and I hope you dont mind me and my stupid questions. smile

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gnnrsig40
Hey Cross, did you shoot in last years Arizona State silhouette Championship?

No, I did not, Sir,....

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Ok thanks, I was thinking that if you did you might be there next year, I would look you up to meet you.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Do they allow greenhorn idiots like me to attend one of these shoots?

Specially iffin I stand over out of the way with my hands in my pockets, ears open, mouth closed grin

Gunner

If you let a few folks know you are coming, chances are, someone will bring a spare rifle and ammo and you can shoot the whole damn thing. No sense standing around. Someone might mistake you for Swampie....

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Oh chit....I'll be busy shootin' then, and not leaning on any mountain howitzers and grinnin' foe the camera laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
And when ET and I head out West, I'll be loaded to the gills with my own supplies, but have an open ear for experience gathering.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gunner about all you need worry about for cleaning supplies is having a good supply of patches, and a dab of your favored gun oil, we got water...

www.historicshooting.com
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4, thanks again Ranch smile

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Wow! A nice thread here! What's going on?

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BrentD
...Someone might mistake you for Swampie....

I'm fairly sure that ain't gonna happen...

grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EvilTwin

I honestly think that what we're seeing in those severely worn forends is "Wagon Box Wear", ET.

Those guns traveled long hard trails, it rough conveyances.

GTC

GTC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The guns and pics that I HAVE seen have the wear on both sides of the forearm just aheagd of the receiver. Right about where a set of unpadded cross sticks would be cradling the rifle. Some it was dang near two grooves. All I can say is that they burned MANY thousands of rounds downrange at the bufflers.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thing is , the SAME wear turns up on all sortsa' "Non-Buffalo Guns" of that era, too.

Jump up an a wagon seat, and lean a rifle against your leg, or against the seat side rail,....handy like. See where the Oak lands on the forend.

See what I'm getting at ?

There's a fellow named Red that writes for Garbe quite a bit,.....he wrung this out well some years ago, IIRC.

GTC

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
...Someone might mistake you for Swampie....

I'm fairly sure that ain't gonna happen...

grin

LMAO Tex, wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
The USPS needs to hook up another string of ponies to the wagon.......still haven't received my dang paper patching supplies and bullets yet cry

Gunner

Trump Won!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Gunner, you may have posted this earlier, but what kind of paper patched bullets are you looking for, that is, what kind of shooting do you plan to do with them?

I have had decent results shooting PP in target loads in my .45-70.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Hey Paul, my rifle is a C Sharps '74 model chambered in 45-120 with a 32" heavy barrel.

I will develope a target and hunting load all in one, will start with the 550 gn pure lead PP bullet, have the onion paper, template, bullets, and rooster lube on the way.

Gunner

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Gunner, the all in one load rarely turns out very well, at least if you are fairly picky about what constitutes a target load.

What bullet (mould, swage, mathematical description, or whatever) are you planning on using?

This is a bit out of date, but you might find it useful
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~jessie/PPB/PPB.htm

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Gunner, the all in one load rarely turns out very well, at least if you are fairly picky about what constitutes a target load.

What bullet (mould, swage, mathematical description, or whatever) are you planning on using?

This is a bit out of date, but you might find it useful
http://www.public.iastate.edu/~jessie/PPB/PPB.htm

You would do well to heed what Brent says. There are few who have as much experience and success with both hunting and competitive BPCR target shooting.

That said, you have to determine your own goals and criteria.

As I have often noted, to be successful with BPCR it helps to approach it with an open mind and a touch of humility. Trying to build on experience with more modern hardware tends to lengthen the learning curve.

Paul

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks Gentlemen, my rifle measures, .450 and .458, If I can develop a target/hunting load that allows me to shoot 2" groups at 100 with the buckhorns that should cover it for me at this early stage.

Keeping in mind I will of course need to be able to unload the rifle in a hunting situation without leaving a PP bullet stuck in the bore cry

Cross, I hope You dont think i'm hijacking, that is certainly not my intent, just here to learn about BPCR shooting matches and PP bullets. smile

Gunner

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well, you certainly don't need to be able to unload w/o a bullet remaining in the barrel, though it is a bit more convenient, hardly important.

2" at 100 should not be too much trouble. That's not a competitive target load, but it will do reasonably well for hunting out to 200 or so.

I've spent way too much time and money trying to make hunting rifles and loads work at target shooting. I cannot warn against it strongly enough - not if you want a competitive target load.

This rifle will shoot a hunting load like you are looking for. It is a .45-70 and uses paper patches and black powder.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But it's a Maynard!!!! grin

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Strangest looking Maynard I've ever seen...

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
It's the one without the M and the N,....with the B and 2 Ls, Mister.

awestruck at your vast savvy here.

Got any other tricks ?

GTC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What about the "y"? smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BRAINCRAMP!!!!! Ballard.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I live with braincramps LOL

Gunner

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Ballard Pacific (#5) to be more precise.

Here is the same idea - different rifle.

ET has a better chance of identifying this one. smile

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinYep! THAT is an Eargesschplittenloudenboomer if'n I ver saw one!! grin

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Gotta keep you one-trick ponies happy smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
actually I was so punchy last nite that I would called a roller skate a truck. It happens evry so often. Not that I get to handle many Ballards OR Maynards, but when my brain ain't fogbound I recognize them.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Maybe you should let me build you a "Mallard", Jim.

Let's brainstorm combining all of the best features of the Maynard and Ballard.

A project of this magnitude might inspire me to dig out my last billet of Unobtanium, and those rarest of Stock Blanks I brought back from Lower Revoltum.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 04/07/12.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Ranch13
Squad of levergunners at Medicine Rocks
[Linked Image]

Don

And...as usual you guys are freezing ya azzes off and dodging rain and other whatnot!

What in the heck has the guy got wrapped around his ankles?? Looks like plastic baggies!!

grin shocked

Even birds know not to land downwind!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

What in the heck has the guy got wrapped around his ankles?? Looks like plastic baggies!

Bags of lead shot to prevent blowing away.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
If I am able to develop a pure lead 550 gn PP load at 1500 fps and 2" iron sight groups at 100 yds, what am I missing that it wont be a good hunting and target practice load?

Gunner

Trump Won!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If I am able to develop a pure lead 550 gn PP load at 1500 fps and 2" iron sight groups at 100 yds, what am I missing that it wont be a good hunting and target practice load?

Gunner

Quite possibly, you'd be missing nothing.

Again, it depends on your goals and criteria. You said target "practice". It is always a good idea to practice shooting with your hunting rifle under approximated field conditions. OTOH, a hunting load with a soft bullet is unlikely to maintain accuracy at typical competition ranges. Nose slump with soft bullets in part of the problem. You might have seen my post in which I mentioned that serious competitive ranges begin at the outer limits of practical hunting distances. That is the main difference Brent was referring to.

Hunting and informal target shooting are pretty much the same ballgame; serious BPCR competition is something altogether different.

Happy Easter to all!

Paul

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks for the clarification Paul, that is what I was missing, I now see, serious BPCR shooting, and hunting loads are a horse of a different color.

On the subject of nose slump, can I not have, or learn to cast my hunting loads 20 or 30 to 1 and still paper patch, and therefore avoid nose slump and still get adequate expansion on game animals?

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Also, when the charge of BP kicks the PP bullet in the tail on ignition, will it remove enough of the gentle crimp so it wont tear the patch?

Looking at some sort of easy crimp so the bullets wont fall out of the cases of my cartridge belt while on and off horses or mules and walking in the woods and such.

Gunner

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Depends on several things, you got to try your ideas and go. 1-20 in my 50 shoots well but just gives a 50 cal hole in antelope and deer. 1-40 in my 45 punched holes in antelope without much evidence of expansion. You gotta keep it in mind though that 45 and 50 cal holes thru the boiler room are nothing to snear at .Magnum Man

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks MM, yes, 45 and 50 cals. do cause much leakage grin.

And safe to say on larger animals like elk, moose, and buffler, expansion and penetration will be present?

Gunner

Trump Won!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Also, when the charge of BP kicks the PP bullet in the tail on ignition, will it remove enough of the gentle crimp so it wont tear the patch?

Looking at some sort of easy crimp so the bullets wont fall out of the cases of my cartridge belt while on and off horses or mules and walking in the woods and such.

Gunner

Basically, that's correct. However, I have no experience with patched BP hunting loads. I'll defer to others on that subject. At least with my shallow-seated PP match loads, the slight crimp is just enough to keep the bullet in the case. They must be handled, and transported, very gently. Wouldn't work for hunting. At a minimum, I'd assume that hunting bullets would need to be seated more deeply, as with original Sharps cartridges. Come to think of it, attempting to duplicate those historic rounds would seem to be a good approach.

Paul

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4, will do just that smile, dinner table is 4'X10', Wifey has got me set up with a S/S scalpel and some sort of self healing block to cut my paper patches out on. grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have found that the slight flatnose profile that comes with nose pour pp bullets and 30:1 alloy do seem to initiate the bullet to expand quite nicely. I seat 1/4" or a bit deeper. The comp shooters don't seem to use any patch lube but they are mostly in the dry West where it is a mite wetter around here so I use the Rooster Jacket lube. It does a very fair job of protecting the patch and has given me no probs that I can define.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks ET, i want to use the rooster lube as well as an over powder gasket wad, grease cookie, and another two gasket wads over the lube disc.

This is gonna be a fun test in patience and resolve, oh, and dead animals grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yep, and having just returned from AZ, I can testify that match shooters there wipe the heck out of their bores between shots, whether shooting paper patched or grease grooved bullets. Not at all pratical for hunting. If you can't chamber a round, or have to extract it, you're going to be needing a rod through the muzzle.

Speaking of hard-to-seat seating rounds, a seater, also called a safety seater, is a good tool to have in your kit.

Paul

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It seems that the old buffler hunters' slugs were nose pour TAPERED pp slugs while the oldtime match shooters used straight shanked slugs. Even the old sharps Company described passing tight fitting corks then a wet rag down the bore between shots at matches. Not much has changed actually. I read where buff hunters generally would run a wet patch down the pipe after about 5 shots or so. Fouling would frig up accuracy if they didn't.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Been doing a little re-vestigating on the PP process and it seems a dab of Sprite on the patch adds enough sticky so the patch will roll on well and stay in place while it dries.

Wish they would hurry up with my order so i can begin patching bullets, and stop asking so many ignorant questions.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sprite?? IIRC,Brent uses egg whites. I just use water. I wouldn't want for the sugar in the sprite to actually do a real sticky (as in bond) the patch to the slug. When the water dampened patch dries out, it tends to stay rolled. I leave 'em sit for a few days before I put on the Rooster. Keep in mind that the Rooster Jacket lube is exterior,NOT bullet to patch contact.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks again Jim, duly noted smile

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, keep in mind how the patches turned to confetti when they cleared the muzzle of the rifle. You want the patch to give complete and clean separation from the slug.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Gack! Sprite! Egg whites! No way.

I used to use plain water. Now I use plain nothing. Just roll on dry. Stay away from sticky stuff.

If you think you really must have a patch preservative there are some spray-on art fixatives that can be used (avoid Krylon) but I quit that 12-15 yrs ago.

I haven't used pure lead paper patched bullets in a long time but they do work fine with short nosed bullets. I like flat points most definitely and I cast them as hard as 30:1 sometimes, but 40:1 makes me happier.

I do want expansion. I insist on it. So, here's what the end result is like:

This is a buck antelope shot on from the front left shoulder, exit left belly, DRT. This was closer to head on than quartering. Bullet was 475 grs 40:1 paper patched, .45-70.

[Linked Image]

This deer was shot using the identical bullet, but this time, dead broadside, shattering both shoulders. Shot was right at 200 yds and a titch using a muzzleloader and 100 grs of Swiss 1.5 fg. This is the exit. This deer ran 150=200 yds flat out like a Kentucky Derby colt. And then piled up. There is a pencil in the exit hole.

[Linked Image]

Same deer entrance side after the shoulder has been removed.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
eek He called them his Wal Mart Gaters.... laugh
That one was wet, cold and windy.

www.historicshooting.com
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes ET, confetti in the Black Smoke wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
The USPS needs to hook up another string of ponies to the wagon.......still haven't received my dang paper patching supplies and bullets yet cry

Gunner

USPS sent my dang order to Californey cry shocked 'spose to be here Thursday........dangittt!!!

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
And nice holes in that table fare there Brent.

Gunner

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Surprisingly, the buck was perfectly fine for butchering. 100% meat recovery on that one. The doe whitetail - not so much. My dogs don't mind however.

The point with the latter however is to note the size of the exit hole. With 40:1 a flatnose - even at extended range for a blackpowder rifle, still got lots of expansion. That is really the point I was trying to make. The degree of bloodshot meat varies hugely. That buck antelope had zero bloodshot meat.

Brent

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I must admit i was surprised at the amount of bloodshot meat with the lower velocity lead bullets, spect, momentum being mass in motion has a bit to do with it. grin

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Hey all you experienced BPCR hands, whats your favorite primer for shooting matches and hunting loads?

Gunner

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
CCI-BR2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the cci 350 magnum pistol primer for most match loads, and either winchester or cci large rifle primers, depending on the load and the brand of case.

www.historicshooting.com
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Crap, thanks guys, does the above mentioned advise still apply to the 45-120 Sharps?

Sorry i forgot to mention particular cartridge.

Gunner

Trump Won!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My take is that there is no established, agreed upon, "best" primer for BPCR. If you read some of the earlier publications, magnum rifle primers were recommended. Now some have gone to the opposite extreme using pistol primers.

Me, I use mostly Federal 210 Match rifle primers for competition loads, but I haven't done any rigorous comparisons. It's on my list of things to do.

My sense is that primers aren't a major factor in BPCR accuracy.

Paul

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-roger, thanks Paul, have just received info on the Wolf primers, and i have CCI-350's, Fed 210 and 215's on hand.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If I were to pick a primer for the 120, I'ld start with your favored brand of large rifle primer.

www.historicshooting.com
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks Ranch, got lots of 215's and CCI-250's.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While I don't feel I am anywhere near an "expert" I do have a number of years of experience shooting my BPCRs. I am also not a "gun crank" and don't to a lot of scientific, technical type experimentation with loads. I change things one at a time, whether it be powder charge (brand, quantity and grade), wad, bullet and primer. When I find a load combination that is consistent for me, I generally stop. I will also say my main goal is for hunting accuracy and if that load works for "informal" gong competitions, all the better.

Long dissertation to say I have used and been satisfied with WWLR, WWLRM and Fed 215 primers, mostly using the Fed-215s. Been wanting to try the CCIs, but just haven't got one of those Rountuits yet.

Forgot to mention, I shoot 45-70s and a 45-90 . . . No experience with a 120, but this ain't rocket surgery . . .

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I bought some Wolf primers awhile back. Haven't gotten around to trying them.

Paul

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have heard mixed reviews on the russian primers, seems to be not much middle ground, they either worked good , or not worth a crap.
Never trusted the Rushky's so sticking with a known quantity in primers (cci, winchester, federal) suits me fine.

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sharpsguy said they sucked and that's good enough for me not to use them, then again what can you expect from Russian garbage?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm on board with buying American for the most part, but I remember some years ago when the Russian .22 LR ammo developed for their top smallbore shooters was considered the best in the world. It was treated as a state secret, and other nations' shooters would have given their eye teeth to get their hands on some.

Russian junk, indeed.

Paul

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I dunno Jorge. Russian Small arms and ammunition, and Russian poison gas ALWAYS werk. Very extensive field testing I'm told.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't know about this magical Russian 22 Match ammo, all I can go on is personal experience and Wolf 22 ammo is about the worst, most fouling POS ammo I've ever shot.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Id put Wolf up against any comparably priced American made ammo any day. It is fairly decent and presents no fouling problems for me or any of many dozens of folks that I know who shoot it.

I lean to Eley personally, but at the same price point, Wolf is very very competitive.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If Jorge is talking about Wolf Match Target or Wolf Match Extra, all that I have is made in Germany, not Russia. I haven't a clue as to international ownership details. The case head markings look like Lapua. Hmm.

Brent is on point about its reputation for accuracy.

I just cleaned a .22 in which Wolf had been shot, and it did have quite a bit of carbon fouling. Firing residue and accuracy are not mutually exclusive, in my experience.

Paul

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Russian primers are.....NO GOOD!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Some of Wolf 22LR ammo like match target and extra are made in the former SK plant in Germany, which belong, if nothing changed, to Lapua.

The gold winning russian 22 "Olymp" (i've got a box) were almost hand made and are always available but reserved to Russians and former Soviet Union countries shooters (high level sportsmen).
They are very expensive and made in Tula. Some years ago, at Nurnberg IWA show, asked for some but the price was too much high, time to delivery very long and quantity to buy too much for me and friend.

For their primers they are so bad lots of bench rest crowd use them.

Jorge, even if you don't like russians, they know how to make small arms, ammo and how to use them.

Never underestimate an potental adversary or foe, never over estimate himself. It's what i learned in my military school and army years. Something, we western people, have tendency to do much often.

But we are far from BPCR now...

Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (260Remguy, 1OntarioJim, 260madman, 1minute, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,400 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,426
Posts18,489,172
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.