Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by smokepole
Yes, he's hunting. At least, until some self-righteous pr*** shows up and says "that's not hunting."

Of course, he's still hunting, he just has a self-righteous pr*** looking over his shoulder, and it's just not the same.

LOL

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by BobinNH

They are all hunting....their personal conduct afield determines whether or not they are "ethical"....not the gear they carry.

Indeed... and that was my point... a bullet/arrow through both lungs is ethical... the rest is gak.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
In my opinion, I think the OP was trying to suggest that modern equipment (e.g.: the recent popularity of long range shooting) is tipping the scales more in favor of the hunter, as opposed to the older equipment and hunting methodology, thus making "hunting" more like "shooting". I think that those who have the marksmanship skills to ethically take a big game animal at the sort of distances were talking about, with modern firearms and optics, are freaking amazing. It takes no less skill to do that, IMO, than it does for guys to stalk up on an animal at 25 yards and take it with a self-made long bow. It's just different styles of hunting. It's all hunting IMO so long as it's legal and ethical. I think the different ways and gear and tactics that we all use to pursue our chosen quary give our sport (hunting) great diversity allowing a broader appeal and larger numbers taking the field every year. Strength in numbers, that's good for hunting!

Edited for spelling... as usual.

Last edited by redfoxx; 04/10/12.

God Bless America!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
Yes, he's hunting. At least, until some self-righteous pr*** shows up and says "that's not hunting."

Of course, he's still hunting, he just has a self-righteous pr*** looking over his shoulder, and it's just not the same.

LOL

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Guy I used to hunt with believed the only way to hunt was to walk all over the cover bust them out. All we ever got doing that was *ssholes and elbows shots on the run. Not to surprizing just does and little bucks. He thought that was the way to do it. I said to him one day "you know the guys in deer hunting articles allways kill nice bucks and they don't do this walkabout chit". "Don't you think it might be easier to spot a good one first make stalk and a good shot ?" Nope he says . Next year I went for myself and did the spot, stalk, and nice buck routine all by myself. I told him to hunt anyway he wanted by himself and no I don't haul anybody to my places anymore.. That guy your being critical of using a portable bench and a 30-378 at long range might have as bad a knees as I do and not good anymore for extended distances all day long. so he does the scouting deal, knows where they will be about a certain time of day if a bunch of yahoos on walkabout haven't allready blown them out of the area.He is working with his own limitations and leaving his shooting less to chance. Lighten up and let it alone for others and do yours as it suits you. Magnum Man

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you are in the legal pursuit of game animals, you're hunting.

Ethical hunting is following the rules and knowing your own limitations with your chosen equipment.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Which ever is Acceptable to you is when your Hunting, but don't Criticize others if it doesn't meet your standards.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
We have different ways to challenge ourselves, but it's all hunting.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
In my opinion, I think the OP was trying to suggest that modern equipment (e.g.: the recent popularity of long range shooting) is tipping the scales more in favor of the hunter, as opposed to the older equipment and hunting methodology, thus making "hunting" more like "shooting".

The OP was not suggesting anything. The OP wrote the short essay to cause others to realize we all do our own thing and we are all hunting.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
That guy your being critical of using a portable bench and a 30-378 at long range might have as bad a knees as I do and not good anymore for extended distances all day long. so he does the scouting deal, knows where they will be about a certain time of day if a bunch of yahoos on walkabout haven't allready blown them out of the area.He is working with his own limitations and leaving his shooting less to chance. Lighten up and let it alone for others and do yours as it suits you. Magnum Man

There is something to be said for setting up on a ridge, with a good rest, and waiting for the critters which get blown out of their cover by said Yahoos.

I got a nice 5X5 bull last fall at 325 yds, just so. I thought I was hunting, still do.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Ringman
In my opinion, I think the OP was trying to suggest that modern equipment (e.g.: the recent popularity of long range shooting) is tipping the scales more in favor of the hunter, as opposed to the older equipment and hunting methodology, thus making "hunting" more like "shooting".

The OP was not suggesting anything. The OP wrote the short essay to cause others to realize we all do our own thing and we are all hunting.

Agreed 100%, was not trying to suggest otherwise although reading the sound bite from my post in hindsight it would certainly appear that is exactly what I was suggesting. I think the OP made a good post, and that is how I took it... as thought provoking. apologies to the OP for any offense.

God Bless America!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
There are high percentage shots and low percentage shots.

If that means close stalks through the north side timber with a 30-30 or across a canyon with a Sako TRG, well, it is still a high percentage shot or a low percentage shot.

I try to only take high percentage shots.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
i like this post, i think everyone is hunting as long as its legal.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
None of them are hunting. They are all lacking beer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A guy gets on his computer, goes the the 24 hour campfire, and clicks on the long range forum. He then starts a thread about whether or not a guy with a long range rifle is hunting.

Is he trolling?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A guy gets on his computer, goes the the 24 hour campfire, and clicks on the long range forum. He then starts a thread about whether or not a guy with a long range rifle is hunting.

Is he trolling?

Only in some people's mind.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In my neck of the woods it seems few people really take shooting seriously. All are hunting and hats off to the guys who know what thier equipment is truly capable of. Who am I to judge as long as we all follow the game laws?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Told a guy once that I had killed a nice muley at 800 yards and he says....."That ain't even hunting because the deer didn't even know you were there!"

The best reply I could give him at the time was..."Yeah...I didn't want the sumbitch to KNOW I WAS THERE!"

Even birds know not to land downwind!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It seems to me that if you are pursuing game in season, you have a valid license, your intent is to kill the game as humanely as possible given the conditions of the hunt and the tools at hand, and it is fair chase, then you are hunting.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

279 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 270wsmnutt, 160user, 300jimmy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 24 invisible), 1,807 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,450
Posts18,528,884
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.