Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
OP Offline
D
I have some questions about Rem 700 actions and their dimensions. I would like to build a .338 Lapua rifle on a "budget" using the Accuracy International AX chassis, but I dont know if I can use a Rem 700 long action. I have heard of a Rem 700 magnum action but never see stocks or one piece scope bases for it and I am confused on if it is a bigger action or just one with a larger bolt face.

Does anyone have dimensioned drawings of Rem 700 actions?

Between my father, brother, and I we have the following guns.
Rem 700 P - .300 win mag
Rem 700 Sendaro SF - .338 RUM
Rem 700 Classic - .375 H&H
Rem 700 - .375 H&H - the new one that is a 100th anniversary this year.

I have one piece scope bases on all of these guns and I know for a fact that the H&S precision stocks on the P and Sendaro SF are the same because I leaded one and occasionally flip them. So it leads me to believe that these are all standard long action rifles.

The .375 H&H case length is longer (.126) than the .338 Lapua but the OAL is slightly shorter (.081). The AI AX chassis is magazine fed and according to euro optics when I order a long action stock I can pick if I want a .300 Win or .338 Lapua magazine for it. I think that case length on extraction would be more important because the shell might not flip out properly and just sit in the action. As opposed to the OAL when feeding because of the magazine and the profile of the bullet compared to the .375 H&H would improve the feeding and eliminate the need to load the standard box mag. Any input on this thought process?

GB1

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
It's been done but is not reccomended, alot of smiths won't do it, there are better actions like a surgeon 1851 XL, or a Defiance, or any custom with a .590 bolt face!

D
OP Offline
D
Will they drop into a long action stock?

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I think you will have to order a stock that is inletted for the actions, Rem 700 only makes one long action and the only difference is the bolt face for standard and mag cartridges!

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't think I'd try a Lapua on a Remington, but a .338 RUM or Edge would fit just perfectly. You don't have the uber-high quality brass, but your velocities should be pretty close, if not higher.

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Remington made one in 338Lapua with Accuracy detachable five rounds mag and 26inch barrel with a stock that looks like HS Precision, a friend of me has one Rem 700 action in 338Lap with Christensen carbon/steel barrel. Used it in Alaska to take sheep, caribou and grizzly so it can be done.

Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You will be dollars ahead to buy a custom action. By the time you modify the feed rails open the bolt face and install an extractor you are normally better off to sell the donor you have on hand and buy a Stiller, or just buy one of the 700s in 338Lapua. I have built a few of the 700s into 338 lapua based wildcats and it is not worth the trouble. If your heart is set on it, I would not go with a stainless action. The larger bolt face translates to increased bolt thrust and makes the rem 700 minimally adequate for the job, or so the theory goes.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Right with you! It's why i use Sako TRG-S and TRG42..TRG-S a bit on light side compared to the power of ammo. Tiring on the bench.

Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by writing_frog

Remington made one in 338Lapua with Accuracy detachable five rounds mag and 26inch barrel with a stock that looks like HS Precision, a friend of me has one Rem 700 action in 338Lap with Christensen carbon/steel barrel. Used it in Alaska to take sheep, caribou and grizzly so it can be done.

Dom

Just because it's been done...doesn't make it a wise choice!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
you do realize that the .338 Lapua runs lower pressure than the Ultras, don't you? 60915 psi vs. 63817 psi...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You could ream the boltway and go ptg bolt.....but then you are in the custom neck of the woods.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by toad
you do realize that the .338 Lapua runs lower pressure than the Ultras, don't you? 60915 psi vs. 63817 psi...

Pretty much splittin hairs ,there's just not much metal left once you open up the bolt face...If I was going Lapua a .750" bolt would offer a better safety margin...feel free to run what you like!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

Pretty much splittin hairs ,there's just not much metal left once you open up the bolt face...If I was going Lapua a .750" bolt would offer a better safety margin...feel free to run what you like!

so have you found a real life example where this has been an issue?

D
OP Offline
D
Thanks for the input. Looks like I need to do some researching on the aftermarket actions.

But if anyone has a .pdf or cad of the three Rem 700 actions I would appreciate having one for reference just to have.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

If a load error was made, there is only ten thou of bolt to slow the case down...plus the sako hole....it leaves zero room for error on load work up. Most guy shooting lapua's are looking to hit a velocity and if they had a slow barrel and tried to push it.....a possible serious case rupture is a lot closer to a possibility.

Imo.

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
you don't think the extractor on the custom actions will blow just as easily?

the bolt nose on the M700 action is supported by the barrel.

i have not heard of any problems with the M700 Lapuas out there, but i don't have one either.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You might want to PM jwp475.
He has one and uses it alot.
Mike Rock from Rock Creek Barrels has blessed it as being strong enough.
And I usually dot argue with PEs.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a 700P MLR and it has been a wonderful rifle. Rem outfits it w an M16 style extractor btw.

While I'm not a Remmy fan in general, I trust they have created the thing understanding that it is a safe and reasonably effective combination.

Mine manages well under 1 MOA out to 1K w Berger 300s and 250s.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The bolt nose is supported, but there is clearance, how far does the remaining bit of metal have to go before it gets ugly? Dunno. How hot does one have to load a lapua to stretch a case enoungh to cause a failure? Dunno. I do know that there is not much left on the bolt, there is clearance between the bolt and barrel. The barrel tennon is thinner than other chamberings....to me there is a bunch of possible bad results stemming from little gain.

Read what still has to say....jerry is also an engineer.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2092179#Post2092179

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

Toad, I know of no such failures, and am looking at it as the margin of safety being too small for my comfort!

I realise it's been done but there are quite a few smith's that won't build either, you can chamber a barrel by hand, but a lathe just does the job better, that's where a .750" bolt shines with this round!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (257wthbylover, 22kHornet, 204guy, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,370 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,602
Posts18,492,305
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.