Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like we need a Rock Whambulance for some.
If you need a good barrel, Mcmillan, or some other good stuff order it in a year advance knowing it will come when it comes.

There is a reason there is a wait.

Forget Rock barrels. Just makes it quicker for me.

Make sure to tout the next greatest on time maker on the internet and watch one or two years later as customers are going through the same thing touted here because everyone ran their way.

Rocks rock.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Yep.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any of the big barrel manufacturers (Rock, Krieger, Bartlein, & Brux etc....) have a wait nowadays - just accept it and be happy when it arrives!!

I am waiting on a Bartlein .30 caliber myself - ordered it in February and don't expect it till October even though I was told 4 months.

Last edited by 300MAG; 05/23/12.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Funny ... you order to send to a smith?

Your smith of choice doesn't have and "in" with a barrel maker?

Or a stock of barrels?

jus sayin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cocadori
Funny ... you order to send to a smith?

Your smith of choice doesn't have and "in" with a barrel maker?

Or a stock of barrels?

jus sayin

Not funny at all, as several of us on here have ordered all our own parts & then sent them to the smith of our choice. Robert Gradous's customer supplied component builds are a big success!!

Most smiths work will work with any barrel from a quality manufacturer - his work is more important than what name of barrel your using!!

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yep.. my point is..barrels makers will typically supply a smith before an "off the street customer". It is "bidness". Keep smiths in supply and they are more likely to recommend that makers barrel.

jus sayin

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by FVA
If you need a good barrel, Mcmillan, or some other good stuff order it in a year advance knowing it will come when it comes.

There is a reason there is a wait.

Forget Rock barrels. Just makes it quicker for me.

Make sure to tout the next greatest on time maker on the internet and watch one or two years later as customers are going through the same thing touted here because everyone ran their way.

Rocks rock.

Originally Posted by joelkdouglas
My order was placed 9 Apr, and no barrel here yet either. Also no charge to the card. frown

That's why I'm not bummed much, despite the frown. I originally planned for this re-chambering after hunting season in November / December, which is why I ordered it in April. Two weeks ago they said they were running 25 cals and a barrel would likely ship "next week". Who knows--maybe it still will? Or maybe it won't!

I also just ordered a 30 cal Rock for the same time frame. Same contour, a #3.

Barrel makers are prima donnas, no? You call them and they say, "I'd love to make you a barrel. Our timeframe is six months to a year, sometimes longer, sometimes shorter. We can't really say."

And like real prima donnas, everyone is willing to wait for them to do their work for the show. High demand, high quality.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cocadori,

I understand what you are saying, but a smith doesn't always have the contour, twist, length etc... of the barrel you want. Yes he can order it for you, but you'll most likely wait about the same time to get it - it sucks but not much you can do when you're at the barrel manufacturer's mercy!!

This last barrel I ordered from Bartlein is a special order = its a Krieger #5 contour in a Bartlein .30 caliber, 1-11" twist barrel.

Last edited by 300MAG; 05/23/12.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Cocadori
Yep.. my point is..barrels makers will typically supply a smith before an "off the street customer". It is "bidness". Keep smiths in supply and they are more likely to recommend that makers barrel.

jus sayin

Whenever I use a smith I do ask who they prefer, and typically have no issue getting whatever they want. Smiths I have talked to have little preference.

However, I do like to order the components myself. That way I don't have to take up space in some smith's shop with a barrel, and a stock that takes another 4 months, or whatever. Right now I have a stock, barrel on order, and bottom metal on order. When all the parts arrive I'll send it along for work, unless it's close to hunting season.

And sometimes life, heart attacks, car crashes, fires, just plain "mis-placement" events happen. That could happen even if everything is in my workshop, but at least it's all in one place.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
What does the comment"just sayin" mean. I started The Barrel Mann Co. several years ago. I sold from 1000-1500 barrels a year. Guess what? I got in line like everybody else. Did the barrel makers love me,Yes, but they were honest enough with their customers that nobody lost their place in line. I couldn't offer my customers faster service, just a better price.
As far as stocking barrels, no way. Take 30 cal for instance-6-8 contours and about 7 different twist rates.

just sayin

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by FVA

Still chuckling about this.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have never got poor service from Mike Rock and when I order barrels I do so in pairs.
Mikes 30 cal tubes are good to the point I don't consider using anything else. This is regardless of how long i have to wait. And his #3 contour is about perfecto IMO for a 30 caliber magnum.

Last edited by BWalker; 05/23/12.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 300MAG
Cocadori,

I understand what you are saying, but a smith doesn't always have the contour, twist, length etc... of the barrel you want. Yes he can order it for you, but you'll most likely wait about the same time to get it - it sucks but not much you can do when you're at the barrel manufacturer's mercy!!

This last barrel I ordered from Bartlein is a special order = its a Krieger #5 contour in a Bartlein .30 caliber, 1-11" twist barrel.

Special orders are special orders.

"Bidness is bidness"

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
What does the comment"just sayin" mean. I started The Barrel Mann Co. several years ago. I sold from 1000-1500 barrels a year. Guess what? I got in line like everybody else. Did the barrel makers love me,Yes, but they were honest enough with their customers that nobody lost their place in line. I couldn't offer my customers faster service, just a better price.
As far as stocking barrels, no way. Take 30 cal for instance-6-8 contours and about 7 different twist rates.

just sayin

"Jus sayin" means I'm just saying my .02..might be right might be wrong.

BS... I can call a smith or 2 right now that'll have some of the more popular contours, twist rates in stock. I know of 2 that'll have not only that but from different makers as well.

Seems to be the people cryin' should have gone through the guy doing the work for them. More often than not works out better for everyone.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No crying here, just waiting!!!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
So if these smiths have a bunch of barrels, just buy it from them.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If I were a smith I wouldn't sell. I'd wait for my customers to spec a build.

I call my smith tell him what I want and he builds it.

Had to wait one time for a special order barrel. Had to wait 1 week on the second build for a contour and this last time he had everything in stock.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
reviving this thread to see if anybody has gotten a barrel from them lately still waiting on a .257 blank

gene

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Placed a order with Mike earlier this week and 6mm tubes were coming up "shortly".

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by woodsonchris
Placed a order with Mike earlier this week and 6mm tubes were coming up "shortly".

Let me know when you get it!

I'm still waiting for the 25 caliber barrel, order placed 9 Apr or so. Only 9 weeks so far.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,387 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,046
Posts18,500,919
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.