Print Thread
Hop To
F
Frans Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Cleaning and "restoration" of the 1899 is coming along nicely, though slowly.

I researched any problems I could expect when removing and reinstalling the rotary magazine, but didn't find much that made a lot of sense. From the exploded diagram it looks fairly simple... is it?

There is a lot of crud in there, and the brass has turned a few shades of green, so for a good clean I'd really like to take it out. Anything I should be aware of?

Frans

Frans Diepstraten
www.terrahunt.com
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
it comes out pretty easy. Not much to worry about... you will have to reset tension when you reinstall but that is really easy.

Andrew
F
Frans Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Define "really easy" :-)

OK never mind, I'll ask when it comes time to put it back together. Thanks!

Frans Diepstraten
www.terrahunt.com
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
In the "Misc Info" (in this forum) there is a pretty good written description on tensioning the rotary magazine. It's the eighth post down by Rick99: http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/535525/Misc_Good_Info#Post535525

I received the DVD on Disassembly/Reassembly of the Savage 99 and it has a very good section on the magazine. When reinserting the rotor assembly, he points out to keep the main spine of the rotor pointing up. Using a modified screwdriver (for the bolt head at the front of the rotor) to hold the spindle head stationary, turn the rotor one, full turn and reinsert the screw in the side of the receiver. Of course, if that full turn is too much or little tension, you can adjust by pulling the screw out and using one of the other "notches" in the head of the rotor spindle designed for that purpose. Using the next notch on either side, for more tension or for less, would probably be the right one. What he doesn;t show is taking the front "cap" off of the rotor spindle. There is a tensioning spring in there that surely might be very tricky to get back together properly...I'm guessing.

In a YouTube video I watched (the gunsmith up in Maine - everyone's seen it), he recommends not taking the rotary magazine apart because it's tricky to get back together. I'm supposing he just didn;t want to go that far in his video, rather than it being so tricky or difficult.

Now, I haven;t had either of my rifle's magazines apart yet but, after watching this DVD, there isn't any doubt in my mind that you (or I) couldn;t fiddle it back together again....and do it properly.

Last edited by StretchNM; 04/15/12.

- Stretch
Don't Be Scared
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Taking the magazine out is simple. IMO taking it apart is unnecessary unless the spring is broken. Flush it with whatever cleaner/degreaser you wish and oil lightly and replace it as directed above. In addition to having the spine upright, look at the round counter and start with it at zero. Turn the magazine counterclockwise (facing the muzzle), hold it in place, and replace the set screw, "feeling your way" until it seats, then tighten gently. It's easier with two people, but I've always done it alone and only curse occasionally in the process.

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus
IC B2

F
Frans Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Thanks everybody. The innards have been removed. It was easy indeed.

Frans

Frans Diepstraten
www.terrahunt.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Removing is easy. Reinstalling not so much. But not that hard either especially if you read the sticky under Misc good info. Sometimes you just gotta go with a lot of trial and error. Kinda like the lever bite thing. (Oh no, another can of worms!) grin

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 219DW, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,801
Posts18,496,290
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.