Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
Originally Posted by doubletap
Best - Chili with beans, if you're not sharing a tent.

Worst - Chili with beans, if you are sharing a tent.

If you really want to spice up the tent, add copius amounts of garlic to the chili con frijoles. WHEW-EE!

Shallots > Garlic for gas factor. In case anyone was doing "research".

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The best, a grouse and a squirrel that I shot about 1/2 hour before I cooked them on a piece of slate.

I just sat down when I found the rock, skinned the game and built a stick fire under the rock. Just happened to have a salt/pepper pack in my backpack.

The worst, was invited to hunt with some guys and they tried to cook ribeyes and taters in foil, in the embers.

Boot leather has better flavor and texture.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best - Elk Stew. Make a big pot and a mess of cornbread muffins before I leave in a big dutch oven and heat it up every night until it's gone.

Second best (when I don't have any elk left) - Sausage, Peppers and Potato packets. Just take some good kelbasa or italian sausage (venison, pork), and slice it thick. Cube up potatoes, chop some onions and red and orange peppers, and package it up with butter, salt & pepper wrapped in foil. Throw it in the coals and within about 30 minutes, the smell will have you and the bears licking your chops!

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Worst: Salted cod not done very well.
More worst: snow shoe rabbit, tougher than any tire ever built.
Even more worst: squirrel, similar ro the snowshoe.
I've learned how not to cook a lot of stuff, sometimes several times over.
Been lots of best meals, some as simple as a hotdog & sauerkraut, or even an MRE, at the right place & time.
Perhaps my favorite "end of the day in camp" best is a bourbon or scotch & spring water, but then, the next one is always the best one.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Best, "catch of the day" deer backstrap fillets on the grill, some little canned taters sauted in butter and parsley and whatever sorta greens were available. Had some once that were marinated in maple syrup, soy sauce and brown sugar, that were pretty damn tasty.

Worst, an Appian Way pizza mix during deer camp many years ago. Don't know what the guy did wrong, but it was inedible.

The remnants laid out in the camp dooryard for days, unmolested by skunks, possums and other vermin. By the fourth or fifth night, we took turns flicking on the porch light and pronouncing that it was now surrounded by dead critters with their little feets in the air and their bellies distended from the pizzen.

We never had another one at deer camp, but we always rooted in the guy's grocery sack when arriving at camp and expressed some "disappointment" that he hadn't fetched another one along that year.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by saddlesore
For dessert, peach or berry cobbler done in a dutch oven, and topped with sweet cream and then whipped cream while the cobbler is still warm.I don't have the means to keep ice cream in camp. Either way sure is good though.

There are several parameters that limit what we can eat in camp. However, I have always subscribed to the notion that I don't like to change my diet too much just because I am camping /hunting. Even if I packed a camp in on mules,we still ate good,but I can see if one carried everything on his/her back, some alterations have to be made.Precisely the reason I don't do that. I have always have two requirements, good food, and a good warm bed. With those almost anything else can be tolerated, with maybe the exception of poor hunting partners which I don't tolerate.

In my younger days, I have heated a can of pork and beans over an open fire and considered that ok. Not so much any more. Leaving camp in the morning with a full belly of good food that will stay with you and sitting down to a good evening meal after a hard days hunt will let you go longer and hunt harder, rather than getting back to camp and crawling into the sleeping bag dead tired.

If I were to pay some one $5000 for an elk hunt,I would expect good food,I expect no less from myself.

Yeah, but then you have to poop a couple times a day, instead of every 2 or 3 days...

Can I come hunt with you? smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Worst had to be back in the days when I tented it and the weather was bad, but I haven't a clue what it would have been except quick and easy.

To many good ones to remember the best, but a shore lunch of pan fried Canadian walleye would be very high on the list.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Fried taters and fresh brook trout and for the worst..Liver and onions.

Jayco

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Best is any fresh tenderloin grilled on a stick with fresh tortillas and a little pepperjack cheese.

Worst is anything over cooked to the point you are choking it down and need a ton of water. Number 2 on the worst list is warm beer because you ran out of ice and its 90 degrees outside.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

K
kawi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Coyote Hunter I will double dang the walleye eya.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1 on walleye shore lunches. Shlurp!

[Linked Image]

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beans and hot dog are definitely the worst. A [bleep] brained cousin pulled that [bleep] out on his day to cook. I won't eat that [bleep].

Halibut or Elk/Deer backstap are what I prefer. I'd even be happy with chromer salmon.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I pack along three cheese quesadillas. Provolone, Monterrey Jack, and a little bit of goat cheese.

Now I am hungry for one.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I used to make deep fried, battered mushrooms as an appetizer every year in Elk Camp but nobody ever wanted dinner afterwards so I quit --- I still miss them! frown

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The big hit in our camp is hand built sausage gravy and biscuits for breakfast. Brother and I gave up trying to bake biscuits in camp so make them ahead of time now and just warm them. Nobody sleeps in the morning that we have this. Three meat barbeque in the dutch comes in second.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sandcritter
+1 on walleye shore lunches. Shlurp!

[Linked Image]

Oh jeez. I swear I can smell them when I look at that pic.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hot-dogs! eek

Best and Worst!! confused

All depends on how hungry, you are!!! laugh

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Saturday Night last Hunting Season--- Best or the worst ??? fresh baked bread, baked beans, broiled garlic butter brook trout and thick venison steak chateaubriand style. Many moons ago a guest at camp made creamed onions and used eggnog instead of cream. It went out the back door. --- Web [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
K
kawi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Wow wldthg I would ask about the steak,but it is a big word?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Best - Bowhunr's ribeye steaks

Worst - spam, no matter how it is cooked.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, AussieGunWriter, B52RadarNav, 35, 9 invisible), 1,408 guests, and 860 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,251
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.