Page 7 of 2,579 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 2578 2579
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Boxer

Pistol primers too?!!?

Laffin'.

No... 209 Shotshell primers... I use a c-clamp to stuff them in there......

Is that bad?

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"'215,

Favored twist rate,barrel length and donor action?

Thanks!"

Afraid I don't quite qualify as a full blown looney as my .223 AI is all factory, from none other than the Cooper guys. Twisted at 1-12 which works well for me as PDs and paper are my no. 1 targets and the smallish Nosler 40 grain BT is my favored projectile flung out at 3900 plus. Course I wouldn't pass on a genuine coyote but they seem to be far and few in my territory.

My Cooper did start life as a .223 PV and then a member here up and advertises a brand new take off barrel in AI that he removed from a new unfired Cooper so as to make some inferior caliber from. My lucky day! Neck size only, no strech marks at all in either length or width and after six firings of some Lapua brass, no change in size of any part of the case.

And I think it's all your fault that I grabbed on to this caliber in the first place! Carry on!

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by Boxer

Pistol primers too?!!?

Laffin'.

No... 209 Shotshell primers... I use a c-clamp to stuff them in there......

Is that bad?

I'm a 209M Slut and have long had a Love Affair with Herco.

Tough to trump a ballpeen.

'215,

I see you scared the Do-Nothing Gang away,which was mean.

My SAAMI 223 Cooper is 1-14" and do nice things...but remains a Fair Weather Play Toy,as opposed to a Meat & Taters Utility Rifle.

In fairness,I've seen me,sway me in more than a few builds too. Hell...prolly even have a few in the works this moment.

I'm also crossing fingers that poor dumb greydog feels compelled to explore these things and type aloud in regards to same.

Laffin'!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ya just can't edjucate some people! How they say, ignorance is bliss?

I got too old and lazy to hunt the meat and taters stuff so mostly what I got is just run of the mill stuff but I sho do enjoy that Cooper. Model 21, that is.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Shefire,

You Do-nothing Dumbphucks commenting upon all the things you nearly did,with all the wares you nearly had and from all the places you nearly been to...is hardly "original". 'Tis the oldest of factoids,that them that cain't,simply fabricate and Sugar Titts,your Imagination so seamlessly bolsters your Pretend,that you are oblivious and schit don't get ANY [bleep] funnier than that.

The whiningest of the Do-Nothing Dumbphucks,takes the the longest of routes to skirt particulars and portray themselves as the perpetually maligned victim. As per always,I'm groovin' on your Pity Party. It don't get any [bleep] funnier,than to grant you the bandwidth upon which you can extoll your "knowledge","experience" and "firsthand accountings",as you feverishly fight to become the first Do-Nothing Dumbphuck to bitch herself happy.

Congratulations?

Is this the Alaskans trailer park version of Ebonics??

IF SO, does anyone have any one of those 1930s Little Orphan Annie Ovaltine Super Decorder Rings??

I figure that is how Schtick comes up with this stuff...

And Schtickie Britches...you still haven't answered my questions... I still got $10 riding on your potential military service to our country....don't disappoint me there..

you wouldn't want to disappoint your groupies....

I mean the rest of 24 hour is still sitting on the couch, worrying about all the places we haven't been, or things we never had... etc etc etc ad nauseum....just waiting for your next post to 'impress' us all...

tough guy you are...

[Linked Image]

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

I'm also crossing fingers that poor dumb greydog feels compelled to explore these things and type aloud in regards to same.

Laffin'!
[/quote]
Boxer,
You are in luck! I have begun moving forward. Now, I know I will have to dumb things down quite a bit to give you some chance of understanding what goes on in a shop and on the range. Maybe if I type with a plastic bag over my head, the oxygem deprivation might bring me down to your level (I'm not sure I want to be there).
I think I mentioned having located a fine old Remington 700 barrel, chambered for the 222 Mag., under the bench. This barrel is of no use to me and looked to be the perfect vehicle for our trip in search of the truth ("Truth" refers to something which is not BS. I don't expect you to grasp the concept right away but you can study on it and you never can tell...). The problem I had was in deciding what action to use. The only rifle I have with a small bolt face is unsuitable because the threads are larger than on the Remington barrel. This rifle is a 223 but will probably stay that way. So the choices came down to a couple of push feed Model 70's, a Turkish mauser, a Savage single shot (A CIL 950T), and a couple of 40X's. All of these rifles have 308 bolt faces. The Savage was my first inclination but there were still thread issues. The Savage is an 20 TPI thread of the same diameter as the Remington so I would have to turn down, thread smaller, then sleeve the thread and thread the sleeve to fit the Savage. Way too much work. All of my Remington actions had been re-threaded so the threads were oversized so they were scratched. That left the Turk and the Model 70's. In the end, I selected the Model 70 action which was barreled to 6 BRX. This action was a fine example of a 1964 action; the worst of the worst. It had been re-threaded and trued when I barreled it for use as an "F" class rifle. More importantly, the bolt face had been bushed and the firing pin tip diameter reduced to eliminate blanking. The trigger pulled 14 ounces and it sat in a McMillan stock.
It was a simple matter to re-thread the Remington barrel to fit the 1 1/32" threads on the Model 70 (re-cut receiver threads, remember?). I set the barrel back about .150" so the 223 reamer would clean up the 222 Mag chamber. Installed, the barrel sat in the stock with a generous 1/4 inch of free float all around. Good ventilation for improved cooling! I didn't want to have to poke the empties out with a rod so I made up an extended extractor to reach the little 223 case. All told, it took about three hours work to end up with a fairly homely but servicable 223. I topped it off with a 36X Weaver which was unemployed. A couple of shots proved it functioned OK. So, the test rifle is ready to go. It will be a couple of days until I can spend a day on the range; possibly this weekend. I want to pick up a box of 40 grain bullets since those seem to be popular with the AI guys. I' ll load those and some 52gr match bullets. I want to use some new brass so I'll pick some up when I get the bullets. I am not going to wreck a bunch of Lapua brass but will be satisfied with Remington or Winchester.
This barrel is 22 inches long (it has been shortened at some time. I don't know who did it but he did a nice job and crowned it at 11 degrees). I would have preferred 24 but 22 is what I have. I am open to suggestions regarding the best powders. I think I'll post results in a different thread and perhaps the customs and Wildcats forum might be more appropriate. Stay tuned. GD

Last edited by greydog; 04/18/12.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Greydog,

You seem to have a penchant for verbosity, my friend.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
GD, appreciate you taking the time and $$ to do a project like this, some good info can be learned...Thanks again

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
As it turns out, my pain is other's gain. I have to run to town to pick up some parts for our dryer so I'll be able to pick up some 40 grain bullets at the same time. I won't be shooting before the weekend since I'll be busy with paying jobs but should be able to get started Saturday. This sort of thing is fraught with danger for me. For instance, what if this old take-off barrel shoots really well? Worse yet, what if it shoots exceptionally well as an AI? Scary times, friends! The bright side is that I get some trigger time which I desperately need as the match season nears. GD

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Ya just can't edjucate some people! How they say, ignorance is bliss?

I got too old and lazy to hunt the meat and taters stuff so mostly what I got is just run of the mill stuff but I sho do enjoy that Cooper. Model 21, that is.

'215,

The humor associated with the most utterly clueless dumbphucks thinking they've a clue,has yet to be topped. Just a matter of granting them bandwidth and watching to see where their Imaginations take them next,in their Pretend world.

Were my Cooper 21 a repeater,wearing 2.500" COAL mag confines in an 8" twist 223AI chamber and a killer synthetic stock...it'd get more air time.

But dat ain't how the ball bounces.

Shefire,

I'll feign my "surprise",that cartoons are as close as you come to prying your Do-Nothing [bleep] from the couch. As per always,I appreciate your taking the time to perpetually reiterate all of the things you almost did,with all of the wares you almost had and from all of the places you've nearly been too.

Bless your heart.

dumbdog,

Your Dumbphucktitude is totally off the [bleep] charts,though I do enjoy your feeling compelled to cite "all" of your "experience"...despite having never shot said chambering. Are you Jeff-O's father?!!?

Nice touch to frost your copious dumbphucktitude with a query on propellants. I fell outta this chair I was laughing so [bleep] hard. Don't forget to muse your "experience" with twist rates too,because that schit was also funnier than hell!

I'd state plainly that I've yanked triggers on well over half a hundred 223AI's,but the notion would bog your Imagination down and spoil some of your Pretend. Would also mention gunning OEM spouts punched same on Salvage,Sako,Ruger,Tikka,Winchester,Kimber,Remington platforms...but it would get Shefire all mad all over again in regards to that dirtiest of four letter words to her("work") and the fact that money literally grows on trees.

Good on you to so boldly do your "Research",given your single digit IQ and "profound" ballistics "knowledge". You incredibly stupid and amazingly ignorant dumbphuck.

Wow.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Shefire:

Blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah

[Linked Image]

Bless your heart...

love, Schtick...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Boxer,
Wow, you sure can get yourself stirred up, can you not? How is it that you can't have all this experience, yet still be so simple minded? Oh, by the way, where did you get the idea I had never fired one? I shoot every one I chamber.
Now, for your entertainment and because you expressed an interest, I'll tell you about my trip to town to get some components just for this upcoming test (and get my dryer parts with which I will cement my position as the hero of the household.) Since the weather was nice and I wasn't planning to pick up any large items, I and my wife hopped into our old 91 Miata for the forty five mile trip to town. Things were going fine until, about five miles from town, the darn thing blew up! I was able to coast into a turn-off and there we sat. I decided to continue on into town where I would stop at Budget and rent wheels to get home on. My wife would stay with the car to keep an eye on the rifle in the package in the back window (always multi-tasking, I was bringing this in to ship off to it`s owner. It is another AI, a 280, and I shot it too. Shot great). Even as handsome as I am, it seems people are reluctant to pick up a stranger on the highway and I had to walk most of the way. Rented a nice mini-van and I was back in business; in a manner of speaking. By the time this is all done, with the money I'll spend, I could have bought a new dryer, built a good rifle (AI or not), and spent some extra time learning to communicate with my airdale ( I`m doing this on the assumption that, if I can connect with the mind of a fairly dumb dog, it will give me some insight in to mind of someone like our friend Boxer).
Anyway, Some of the time which was previously earmarked for shooting will, instead, be spent car hauling and returning rentals etc. The things I do for science! GD

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Shefire,

I'll feign my "surprise",that THE dirtiest of words to you(work),caused you to stutter. Though I do enjoy your perpetual reiteration of all the things you nearly did,with all the wares you nearly had and from all the places you have nearly been to. Your Dumbphucktitude is assuredly upper echelon and is copiously sweetened by your thinking you've a clue.

Mmmmmmmmm...allow me to fuel your Imagination,so you can practice your Pretend,while staying the crux of the Thread.

The BMFOTP will be a nice start.

[Linked Image]

Feel free to print it out.

Laffin'!

dumbdog,

Feel free to regale me with "all" your 223AI "experience",which you've garnered in the "firsthand",through all of those "years". THAT is [bleep] funny!

You and Shefire are the Do-Nothing Dumbphuck Dynamic Duo,in a Paper Hat Tournament of Imagination and Pretend,running neck and neck in Fabrication. Nice [bleep] touch to mention you've no boolits on the shelf,to support "all" them .378" boltface .224" "projects" you crank out. Great time to again take a stab at twist rate,throat geometry and things as mundane as dies...of course all with your Imagination red-lined. Spare no "details".

Lemme see...so many to choose from,it's routinely difficult to know where to start fueling your Imagination. Boolits ain't never a bad call,beings you shoot none and hopefully a small slice of .224" offerings will embolden you to flaunt some more of your Pretend. It'll jive nicely with your Imagination,so you can fabricate "experience" with twist,throats and COAL.

[Linked Image]

May as well letcha Dream big.

[Linked Image]

Allow me to grant you opportunity to fabricate "experience" with Beasties too,via boolits of the ilk.

[Linked Image]

Pardon more Reality bait,it's how I roll.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And if only in the interest of OEM 223Rem SAAMI spouts being punched 223AI,here's (4) from a single outing.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/223Ackleysatrange.jpg[/img]

Rest assured,I sure as schit enjoy your version of "Science",due to the epic [bleep] hilarity,under the oblivious auspice of you doing your best.

Bless your heart!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image] Beam us up Slickey Stickey

Swifty
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Just to take this thread on a different tangent, I sure as hell wish somebody could get Larry to talk about loading tricks. I'll bet s much as he shoots, he has some techniques to cut down the time it takes to put together a couple of hundred rounds.

Royce

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"'215,

The humor associated with the most utterly clueless dumbphucks thinking they've a clue,has yet to be topped. Just a matter of granting them bandwidth and watching to see where their Imaginations take them next,in their Pretend world.

Were my Cooper 21 a repeater,wearing 2.500" COAL mag confines in an 8" twist 223AI chamber and a killer synthetic stock...it'd get more air time.

But dat ain't how the ball bounces."

Yeah, it gets plenty interesting to sit back and see what kind of strangeness some of these dudes can conjure up. Imagine and for real seem to get mixed up pretty easy, specially for the Brents of this world.

Them Coopers are just plumb nice, to put it mildly. Of all the shootin irons I have owned, this one is the best yet. Never had the desire for a custom job but I think the Coopers work just fine. I've been loading up 28.5 grains of Ramshot Exterminator which has been working real good with the mighty 40 grain Nosler but I'm gonna stuff a little more in the next batch and see what happens. Trouble is that accuracy just can't get much better. Real problem. Might even get brave and try some sixty grainers and see from there. I think they should work ok in a 1-12 tube.

What do you mostly load for your 1-14 Cooper?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Royce
Just to take this thread on a different tangent, I sure as hell wish somebody could get Larry to talk about loading tricks. I'll bet s much as he shoots, he has some techniques to cut down the time it takes to put together a couple of hundred rounds.

Royce

I betcha he'll answer any question you ax him. Give it a try.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Notsoswift,

Imagination,Pretend and cartoons are the best you can do and it's always [bleep] hilarious to watch you run away from particulars and instead get a scald on your epic [bleep] whine.

Congratulations?!!?

Royce,

Kiss,find pressure and rock on.

I'm very obviously in the minority,because I know Reloading and Shooting to be fun,so I pursue same with unbridled enthusiasm(s).

Just hoping them constants do not refrain the Do-Nothing Gang from flaunting their Imaginations,nor practicing their Pretend...because that schit is funnier than [bleep]!

'215,

Stupidity is impossible to predict,which is why it's such a great Spectator Sport. Do-Nothing Dumbphucks are always in a hurry to talk out their asses and Imagine they've a [bleep] clue,while Pretending to "know" what the [bleep] they are talking about. Epic humor +P+!

My '21 is a little proud in it's headspace,but wears a great trigger and is far from fickle. Like most all things in the larder that won't handle 75A-Max,50V-Max see the most trigger time(all the Hornets/K-Hornets being notable exceptions). Seldom do a 223/223AI spout see anything other than '335 or '2200...though I've got/shot it all. The '21 with formed R/P hulls/335 and a moly 50'Max kiss,will routinely dazzle in the Agg. Department and it makes for a fairly snazzy Play Toy.

For a goodly while it wore a straight 12x Leupie,but I pinched that glass away for a 7-08AI Play Toy(due to it's generous eye-relief) and slammed a T-16x aboard it,if only for giggles and the fact that the T-Series track like they've got eyes. It wears vertical split Talley's which I hate(though I hate all vertical split rings and am slow to [bleep] goods I've not dabbled),but is scritched/scratched and somewhat rusted. Never was much good at Safe Queens.

My World is an MPAJ World and Fluff ain't my gig.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

As per suitable boolits in your 12",think length,not weight,as weight is moot in the equation. For example a 55TTSX is longer than a 60V-Max,which is longer than a 60NPT or 64PP.

The 50V-Max gets all the air time in my 14's,12's and 10's. 9" is a bubble twist rate,in that it isn't ever for certain in regards to the 75A-Max,especially in SAAMI 223. All my 8's,7.7's and 7's see the 75 expressly.

I realize Imagination and Pretend is all that some folks got and I just hope that they continue to feel compelled to expound upon those fabrications...if only because it's funnier than [bleep].

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I should donate some time when I am down there this summer to clean up some of that hardware for you!

It's not the destination...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Is that a True Value Alaskan Bipod ?

[Linked Image]

Page 7 of 2,579 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 2578 2579

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

681 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 3,127 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,836
Posts18,517,095
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.