-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As if their surprise at that weren't amusing enough, the Negro then told 'em that he was a Swede whom the long northern Wisconsin summers had browned.

Met one of his descendants here in PA, about 20 years ago.

Stopped by the local Sears customer service counter to get a defective garage door operator replaced. Blustery winter day, doors from the loading dock were swinging open a bit, pretty cold in the service counter area.

Elderly white woman ahead of me complained about the cold to the guy behind the counter, who was an NFL linebacker-sized black feller in his 40s. She asked him if it didn't bother him having to work in that cold. He deadpanned nope, must be my nordic heritage.

She didn't know what to say, stood there with her jaw drooped, but I grinned at him, he grinned back. When it was my turn, asked him if his name was Olaf, cracked him up.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is all warm and comforting, but the monument at Comfort tells a different tale.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dubePA
As if their surprise at that weren't amusing enough, the Negro then told 'em that he was a Swede whom the long northern Wisconsin summers had browned.

Met one of his descendants here in PA, about 20 years ago.

Stopped by the local Sears customer service counter to get a defective garage door operator replaced. Blustery winter day, doors from the loading dock were swinging open a bit, pretty cold in the service counter area.

Elderly white woman ahead of me complained about the cold to the guy behind the counter, who was an NFL linebacker-sized black feller in his 40s. She asked him if it didn't bother him having to work in that cold. He deadpanned nope, must be my nordic heritage.

She didn't know what to say, stood there with her jaw dropped, but I grinned at him, he grinned back. When it was my turn, asked him if his name was Olaf, cracked him up.

Word spread rapidly through the faculty that the president of the college had hired two new English-teachers (Hung Sen Wu and Ken Howell).

When I showed-up for work and was introduced as a "new English-teacher," faculty dim-wit Mrs Power asked me "Are you the Chinese gentleman?" I thought that she was kidding, so I said "Yes, Ma'am." She wasn't kidding. She looked very puzzled and murmured "You don't look Chinese."

"That's because both my parents are Caucasian."

That puzzled her even more, and the other ladies were both amused and embarrassed.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was born on the Triangle Ranch in Wichita County the day after Pearl Harbor.One of my earliest memories is going to Punkin Center-a German community - to the blacksmith to get plow discs sharpened.We went in a wagon since gasoline was rationed.

I recall conversations among the hands about "them damn krauts killin' our boys" but Daddy claimed the Germans in Punkin Center had to make a livin',too.

Later on,when Punkin Center got a Post Office,they had to change the name to "Haynesville".

Windthorst,Scotland, and Muenster are just three German dairy farming towns in North Texas.

And,friend Steve,Rhineland is still here............ or there.grin

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm in my early 30s, but my grandfather (dad's dad) was born in 1883. (His first wife died and he remarried my grandmother and had a whole second family--his last--ninth--son was born when he was 69 and my grandma was 50!) Anyway, he was born in Ohio of German parents, in a town that was entirely German--he didn't even speak English until he went to school. As soon as WWI broke out, he swore he would never speak another word of German as long as he lived--and he didn't until the day he died (in 1980). I think those two world wars did a job on the German cultural identity here in the US...

But regarding Texas--I remember hearing that in the 1880s(?) there were so many Germans that the state legislature actually had a bill on the table to make two official state languages--English and GERMAN! laugh

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us." Jn 1:14

"The expense is reckoned, the enterprise is begun; it is of God; it cannot be withstood. So the faith was planted: So it must be restored." -St. Edmund Campion (+1581)
IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (44mc, AlanF, anothergun, 7887mm08, Amos63, 8 invisible), 2,132 guests, and 859 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,644
Posts18,533,701
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.