Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I should say so! Hopefully you can avoid the city!

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Terrific opportunity.. One of the prettiest, and most remote places in the country.. People spend a lot of money out West, when you can hunt a 6 million acre park in NY, with bigger whitetails for $140.... NR.. Besides the 99 is the deer rifle of the Adirondacks!

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
No such luck, have to go to downtown Manhattan all the way to Montauk. I grew up in southern PA in a county that still only has two stoplights. NYC is a mind numbing proposition for this bumpkin. You're right, the 99 is a popular rifle in the 'dacks about like the Amish automatic or Pennsylvania gatling gun Remington 760 is back home lol.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RAS
I trolled the waters in SUNY New Paltz for girls when I was single. One thing about liberal girls, well....nevermind.

Just about the only good thing about liberalism.

Many of my years were spent in Delhi, so a drive to New Paltz to visit friends was a common thing for me back then. Spent many a night on that campus. I was even a member of their fencing club though I wasn't a student! Not really sure how that happened.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pipewhiner
No such luck, have to go to downtown Manhattan all the way to Montauk. I grew up in southern PA in a county that still only has two stoplights. NYC is a mind numbing proposition for this bumpkin. You're right, the 99 is a popular rifle in the 'dacks about like the Amish automatic or Pennsylvania gatling gun Remington 760 is back home lol.

Ah, montauk. I miss hiking there. Ever stay at the hotel at the top?

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Little known fact........some of the biggest bucks in NY live in Montauk. Munsta bucks.

Used to bump into two guys from Texas that came there to hunt for a week every year.

Only problem is you literally need permission to hunt in somebodies back yard.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a good friend at Debar Lodge. Paul Smiths College is right there too.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
If he will be working in the Adirondack park he will need to find a place pretty local as the park is big enough he can't commute from one side to the other.

I would suggest taking a peek at Craigslist just to see what rooms/apartments run.

The last 10 years or so we have had very mild winters and the old days of -30F have seemed to have mostly vanished, but who knows with the weather, maybe next year will be the bad one.

If a person is lucky enough to find good work, the park has got a lot to offer for an outdoors person. Fishing/hiking/hunting/ rock and ice climbing and its not really that far from city stuff if you need a change of pace. If he can bring a kyack with him he can fish and paddle some fine back country.

NYC is maybe 3/4 hours from the southern park and if your on the east side Burlington is a cool (but liberal) small city.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Land and rent goes cheap around here compared to other parts of the state. Cold, black flies, snow, vs. Remote, hunting, fishing.
My GUESS on rent, $550.00 might get a trailer or decent apartment.

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[off season nightlife entertainment will be the bowling alley, pub and laundrymat]

And watching garbage dump bears....... laugh

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If he ends up somewhere near a prison he might be able to find an apartment he could split with someone. I know a bunch of cagekickers who don't live near the prison so they will split apartments with a few other guys and stay there over their rotation then go home for their days off.

NRA Endowment Member, Life since 1978
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I lived in upstate NY for almost 20 years; 3 years in Vermont before that. Hunting is excellent; fishing is better.

Being a backcountry LEO is kinda hairy there, but where isn't it? When I was working at U Idaho many years ago I read in the FBI Uniform Crime Report that the LEO most likely to be assaulted with a deadly weapon was a federal game warden in Idaho. I bet New York was a close second to Idaho. Bear poaching; big business. And then there's the Canadian border and all the "entrepreneurs" along it.... a new Indian war never off the table up there.

That said, he will have more problems with his own state bureaucracy than with felons. Working with NYS is an education in itself! Housing, in this economy, should not be a problem. And he needs to keep his eyes open for 99s and other Savages, for sure. Just got a pristine 2400 from a guy in Plattsburg (not a bad town, by the way, and if he wants outstanding girls, he can weekend in Montreal!).

Last edited by Mesa; 04/22/12.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
1899sav Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Tnx Fellas for the Input.
Steve

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

411 members (1_deuce, 1badf350, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 204guy, 49 invisible), 2,627 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,011
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.