Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

When is somebody going to point out the false trail laid down so far about Tin, and "Bullet Hardness" here ?

Antimonials are just kinda' vaguely being hinted at, as far as I can see.

GTC

Please help me out here, I was always under the impression that a certain amount of tin added to lead bullets increased hardness and helped improve penetration by controlling the mushrooming of the bullet i.e. pure lead being soft it expanded too fast for reliable deep penetration particularly on thick skinned animals.

The original international turd
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Marrty antimony is a hardener. Tin will add to hardness but tins main function to the alloy is better fill out while casting. Some guys use alloys that have antimony but most use a pure lead with tin content ie (40 to 1) parts lead to parts tin for blackpowder use. Having an alloy that you know the exact makeup of allows you to repeat it. Magnum Man

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by maarty
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

When is somebody going to point out the false trail laid down so far about Tin, and "Bullet Hardness" here ?

Antimonials are just kinda' vaguely being hinted at, as far as I can see.

GTC

Please help me out here, I was always under the impression that a certain amount of tin added to lead bullets increased hardness and helped improve penetration by controlling the mushrooming of the bullet i.e. pure lead being soft it expanded too fast for reliable deep penetration particularly on thick skinned animals.

OK

Q.) Does Tin "Affect Hardness"

A.) YES, but only in a marginal sense, and it's addition has WAY more to do with "castability".

Q.) Is there a "Point of diminishing Return" with pure Lead / Tin alloys

A.) Yup, at anything richer than 16:1 you're just wasting tin,......on any measuring scale known, richer than 16:1 adds NO "Additional Hardness"

Q.) So why the term "Tinning" when we discuss "Soldering".

A.) Drive a bunch of overly "tin rich" down a barrel a bit to fast, and you'll learn why Sulphurics are used to FLUX "Solders" and how your "Leading Problem" can be self induced, a combination of 2 basic material characteristics

Q.) SO, why bother with TIN AT ALL ?

A.) CASTABILITY, FIRST AND FOREMOST, and than the kinda' NEAT ability to "fine tune" your "As Cast bullet diameter, when working in a new Bore size, or some oddball cartridge load development area.

Q. How about Antimony ?

A.) Great stuff, intriguing and totally unstable affects on bullet hardness, e.g. "Age Hardening",....v. "Age Softening"
KILLS Monks that use it to harden type, ands it's fumes WILL [bleep] you right up, too. Once it's in your BEST alloy pot,and on your ladles / molds, nothing short of a thermonuclear device will totally remove it.
Admittedly A damned VALUABLE (cheapo) way to sneak up on "Solids" performance in a CB.
REAL BPCR shooters tend to avoid the chit like the plague.

Q.) So, is there a good supply of "Pure Lead" and "Pure Tin" available, at this time ?

A.)Lead,.... No ,......and if you price out "Lab Grade" Lead (99.999 pure) you better be sitting down,....
Tin, Yes, but no longer anything approaching "Cheap".

Back tomorrow, .....and to discuss "The Wisdom of LARGE Batches, when blending BPCR Alloys"

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you both, this is exactly why I like reading these threads.
Plenty of good reliable advice from people who know what they are talking about.

The original international turd
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
very interesting stuff, all right. I deal with metals and alloys all day, but usually in steel & nickel alloys, so it is interesting to read of how they behave with lead and its alloying elements.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maarty,Cross gave you the basic characteristics of the alloys. I'll try to give you the practicalities. lead/tin gives a very decent combination of the right amount of hardness and castability. Look, at BPC velocities, 20:1 is damn near the same as a solid in smokeless guns. I never could fathom why a guy would NOT choose a 458 Win Magnum solid for elk or buffler but would use a hardcast slug for the same critters. It WILL behave the same. When you use about a 30:1 lead/tin, you get penetration as good as a cannon shell AND decent expansion. Remember we are using massive bullets. for a 45 they are usually 520-550 grains. Now another facot sneaks in. I use paperpatched bullets for 99% of my shooting. A softer (30:1) alloy will allow the BP charge to "slug" (upset) the undersize( about .001-.002)bullet into the rifling very nicely. Match shooters who use gg slus generally want their slugs a mite harder but about 18:1 seems about right. If a hunter wants gg bullets,30:1 is still a good way to travel. Sized right and lubed up well makes for some pretty good critterkillers.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here's a Sunday Morning "Tech Tip"

If you are wanting to make some REALLY nice, e.g. "Special" bullets, find yourself a roll of Harris Welco "Staybright" Low Temp Silver solder.

It's a Vacuum Chamber blended Alloy, 95% Tin, 5% SILVER, and not all that expensive. Brownell's calls it "Force 44" and charges the chit outta' ya' for it. Welding suppliers usually have the stuff at best pricing you're gonna find.

So, at that 95% Tin content, just make up or adjust to your normal blending ratios, factoring 105% Tin Weight, versus your normal 100%. You will NEVER cast prettier, shinier, and more uniform (by weight)bullets.

WERE I lucky enough to be going after an African or Asian Buff, or some such, I'd damn sure justify the little additional expense.

........and then of course, there's always the chance that one may occasionally have to deal with a pesky lycanthrope. eek

Best Regards, GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinThat's what I like!! Versatility!! grin Always good to be able to handle them thar werewolves!! grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ET, Greg, thank you both for your recent posts. Knowing things and expressing them clearly are on occasion a bit of a challenge for me. Still not so old I can't learn a new trick now and then...if someone is willing to teach the class.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (14idaho, achlupsa, 35, 41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 6 invisible), 1,537 guests, and 865 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,314
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.