Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
The first thing I would do is start shopping for the wood. That can take a long time, if you are holding out for just the right piece. If you want a large caliber gun, you could look for Bastogne if that strikes your fancy. I have a piece of it that I am holding on to for a 9.3x62 project.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The nice thing about Bastogne is that it is dense/strong enough that it can be shaped quite thin and still be adequate for larger caliber rifles. But if you are going for a smaller caliber, then a piece of English with figure that takes your breath away is the way to go...

[Linked Image]

Now do not get fixated on figure alone--the rest of the layout needs to be there as well. I see pieces of wood on websites that look to me to be laid out entirely wrong. But you need to realize you are looking at $500 and up for anything interesting enough for a project the phrase "once in a lifetime" means to me. The stock can just sit around and wait while you are acquiring parts/funds for the rest.

I would not do anything over a 9.3x62. A 375 H&H kicks enough that few of us enjoy shooting them in our 60's and 70's. A smaller gun that you would enjoy for more years might make some sense. 6.5x55 or 7x57 would seem like grand choices for a Mauser project.

If you want it to work at all with open sights, you need to think about having more drop to the stock than is typical these days (designed for scope use only). This Mauser I built is not unlike what you have in mind (albeit the low budget version) but it is so straight at to make the open sights less than comfortable to use...

[Linked Image]

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Bruzer,

I, too, have a few thoughts on a once-in-a-lifetime Mauser. 1st and foremost, is that; at least for me, I have to do something wrong about three times before I know what RIGHT is... smile

AFAIC, there are two primary concerns: Function and Asthetics

Concerning the former: I don't think I'd want a Mauser in either of the H&H offerings. Yes, I know that there has been a lot of them built. BUT, personally, I don't like the fact that much metal must be milled out to allow the long case to function in the magazine. And 2ndly, I'd want it in a traditional continental chambering. i.e: Something that Mauser originally made. My choice: Not any larger than 9.3x62...

Concerning the latter: Asthetics being important, Unlike TC1, I just don't like the thumb cut on the left receiver wall. NOR the clip slot on the rear bridge. I do realize that a good 'smith can overcome these obstacles, but it's expensive.. . Thus: I'd start with a commercial action. Which narrows down the selection a whole bunch. I think I'd look for a commercial FN or Browning Safari action. Or perhaps a BRNO, but I don't know if the BRNO has a solid left receiver wall or not. (Never fondled one...) The other concern is: I'd want a smooooooothe action. One that works like soft butter. (Like a pre '64 M-70) That, in itself, may make the selection process a bit harder. (I once owned a military VZ-24 that had the smoothest action I've ever seen on a military rifle... I rue the day that I let myself get talked out of it...) Another good commercial action is the 50's and 60's vintage Husqvarna...

Once the above has been solved, any other option can be easily added. I'd want a top quality 'smith. So it would be best to get in line soon. I'd first buy my action, and then get in line with my choice of smith. And then start amassing the other parts... Bottom metal, safety & shroud, trigger, etc... Depending on who you choose, I'd figure 5-8 years from beginning to completion.... or perhaps more.

I hope you are lucky enough to "do it right" the first time... smile Good luck!

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by xausa
Here's my once in a lifetime Mauser, a .505 Gibbs, built by Lon Paul, using a Granite Mountain double square bridge Mauser action with Model 70 three position safety and a stock built to my exact dimensions. The metal is still in the white in these pictures, but the finished rifle featured a Leupold Vari-X III 1.5-5X scope in Smithson mounts and a Smithson receiver sight.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

For more photos of the finished rifle, go to: http://www.granitemountainarms.com/lon_paul.html

Lon is a real artist in wood and metal and I am looking forward to working with him for years to come.

That is a rifle to do the big stuff with XAUSA but for my blood I would have thought you could have been better of putting up your 350 Rigby as shown on NE and also the work of the estemed Lon Paul.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Surely one of the most clasic of rifles and if not in 350 Rigby then equally in 9.3x62 and it would get a heck of a lot of use for many of the US hunting situations and still be a rifle to take to the Dark Continent. Lets assume that if this is to be a multi year project then the funds to hunt Africa may be also a long term gathering so it may be safe to think that a rifle such as your 505 that is suited almost soley to ele may never get a true outing on the target species while the 350 Rigby or 9.3x62 in same style would certainly be apropriate for all else.

Von Gruff.

Last edited by VonGruff; 04/22/12.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Then again if you were inclined to go for the lighter cartridge a Mini Mauser can be tricked out very nicely as well as shown by TCI with his rendition in 223.
[Linked Image]

See more here.http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971019521/m/3251015831

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Bruzer,

I, too, have a few thoughts on a once-in-a-lifetime Mauser. 1st and foremost, is that; at least for me, I have to do something wrong about three times before I know what RIGHT is... smile

AFAIC, there are two primary concerns: Function and Asthetics

Concerning the former: I don't think I'd want a Mauser in either of the H&H offerings. Yes, I know that there has been a lot of them built. BUT, personally, I don't like the fact that much metal must be milled out to allow the long case to function in the magazine. And 2ndly, I'd want it in a traditional continental chambering. i.e: Something that Mauser originally made. My choice: Not any larger than 9.3x62...

Concerning the latter: Asthetics being important, Unlike TC1, I just don't like the thumb cut on the left receiver wall. NOR the clip slot on the rear bridge. I do realize that a good 'smith can overcome these obstacles, but it's expensive.. . Thus: I'd start with a commercial action. Which narrows down the selection a whole bunch. I think I'd look for a commercial FN or Browning Safari action. Or perhaps a BRNO, but I don't know if the BRNO has a solid left receiver wall or not. (Never fondled one...) The other concern is: I'd want a smooooooothe action. One that works like soft butter. (Like a pre '64 M-70) That, in itself, may make the selection process a bit harder. (I once owned a military VZ-24 that had the smoothest action I've ever seen on a military rifle... I rue the day that I let myself get talked out of it...) Another good commercial action is the 50's and 60's vintage Husqvarna...

Once the above has been solved, any other option can be easily added. I'd want a top quality 'smith. So it would be best to get in line soon. I'd first buy my action, and then get in line with my choice of smith. And then start amassing the other parts... Bottom metal, safety & shroud, trigger, etc... Depending on who you choose, I'd figure 5-8 years from beginning to completion.... or perhaps more.

I hope you are lucky enough to "do it right" the first time... smile Good luck!

GH

GH,

If you start with one of the modern Mauser 98 actions (Hartmann, Recknagel, Prechtl, GMA, or Satterlee), there won't be nearly as much fine-tuning needed. These are all commercial-style M98's (no thumb cut, no stripper clip groove, or hump) and are offered in several sizes to accommodate various cartridge families. Corresponding bottom metal and follower are also included. Fitting one of the full-length H&H based cases in any of these is an easy deal, as all of these brands offer a model designed for this group of cartridges. These all use modern steels and heat-treating methods and the fit and finish are smooth as silk.

I agree with you on a more European chambering. Something like 8x68S or 9.3x64 Brenneke would be great in one of these platforms.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well I won't try to talk you out of your 375H&H. I'm having another big bore being built at this time. I don't like to throw money away, but I want it to my taste. Wife said the only taste that I have is in my mouth. I will show you a pic of my 9.3X62 Banner Mauser that David Christman installed double square bridges on. I did most of the metal work. James Kobe did the barrel band front and rear iron sights and the front sling swivel. Jim carved the stock from a piece of walnut from Roger Vardy. It has a Blackburn trigger and floor metal. The 3 pos safety is one of Ed LaPour's and I like my Shilen barrels.
Build what you want! I also have a 458 Lott and a 450-500 Express. Do I need them, I think so and that is what's important.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not kidding myself by calling it a "once in a lifetime", but I'm having Duane Wiebe build me a .300 H&H on a 1909 Argentine so I can identify with your plight.

If I were building one "on time" I would start with the action- once you decide on a maker I would consult with him for input on which action he prefers for your cartridge. Granite Mountain Arms or Saterlee would both be good choices if you want to buy new rather than converting a military action or spending the cash on a vintage magnum Mauser.

The other big money component that you could buy now to spread out the pain would be the stock blank. Again, I would consult the maker/stockmaker when choosing a blank. Luxus, Dressel's, etc. are good places to buy, your maker may also have blanks available.

The other components: barrel, sights, etc. are less expensive and are better chosen once you get into the weeds on the details of the build. My experience is that your plans may change a bit over the time it takes you to finish this project and if you buy too many parts at this point you may regret it.

A plane ticket to Dallas for the 2013 DSC/ACGG show would be a good investment- talk to the best gunmakers in the country, handle their wares, and decide on who you'd like to build your dream rifle.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some mighty fine gunmakers have been named so far. The only problem is, given your budget you're about 9-10 years out crazy I don't mean this to discourage you, just say'n that builders like Martini, Weibe etc. start at about $15K and that's with you suppling the blank.

My advice would be to read and research right now. Here is a great place to start: http://www.finegunmaking.com/

When you're set in stone about what you want I'd go ahead and put an action on order if you had a commercial square bridge in mind. Most of the people that make them have back orders that stretch over a year or two.

Another big expense might be a stock blank. Good wood can be found at a good price from time to time but you usually pay a premium for excellent wood. When I say excellent wood I'm not saying more figure is better, but fine layout with good figure can be hard to find and you'll pay a premium for it. It might be a good time to start shopping for it.

Terry

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by utah708

If you want it to work at all with open sights, you need to think about having more drop to the stock than is typical these days (designed for scope use only). This Mauser I built is not unlike what you have in mind (albeit the low budget version) but it is so straight at to make the open sights less than comfortable to use...

[Linked Image]

Utah, I have to say that is one spectacular rifle....Very nice...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Woodhits, I agree with most of what you are saying. GMA actions are not ready as purchased. Unfortunately they need a little work. Satterlee's are excellent, but you may have a long wait. I would prefer a Satterlee if I could depend on delivery. Mine was an excellent receiver.

[Linked Image]

If you figure the cost of a quality 3 pos safety, custom receiver, custom bottom metal,double sq. bridges, and custom trigger the Satterlee ain't that expensive. It is manufactured by CNC and does not need accurizing.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've got the custom wants bug as well...I had my sights set on a custom Al Biesen built mauser 7mm rem mag but was too late to the dance again mad.......Good luck with your build OP.....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Woodhits, I agree with most of what you are saying. GMA actions are not ready as purchased. Unfortunately they need a little work. Satterlee's are excellent, but you may have a long wait. I would prefer a Satterlee if I could depend on delivery. Mine was an excellent receiver.

[Linked Image]

If you figure the cost of a quality 3 pos safety, custom receiver, custom bottom metal,double sq. bridges, and custom trigger the Satterlee ain't that expensive. It is manufactured by CNC and does not need accurizing.

Hubba, Hubba, Hubba laugh I like that!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just wish someone would make one of these in lefty!!

Andrew
X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
"a rifle such as your 505 that is suited almost soley to ele"
I have to say that although I did account for three elephants with my wildcat .505, I also used it on five Cape buffalo and a black rhino, so the caliber is not as circumscribed as all that.

As far as the .350 Rigby is concerned, the stock is an original Rigby, and although it fits well enough, it's not the same as a real custom stock made to my specifications. That said, I think stock fit on a real dangerous game rifle is more important than is is for a non-DG outfit. There are occasions when instinctive shooting is all important and a DG rifle should be built with that in mind.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

[Linked Image]

Wow! This has it all....

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image]

No argument there.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
[Linked Image]

That right there is a STUNNING work of art!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd contact Roger Ferrell in Fayetteville, GA and discuss with him what you are wanting to do.

I've seen many of his projects and he has contributed to one Custom Gunmakers Guild project.

It's your project, build what YOU want!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Here's a very nice custom Mauser by Dave Norin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA74gU_lBIU

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I am with the others on caliber choice. Rarely seen on a custom, the M96 Swede as the basis for the build works well. My 7x57 built by Jim Wisner on a G33/40'd Swede makes for a lean and tidy package in a very useful chambering. Short of the square bridges it is what you describe WRT bells and whistles.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

308 members (17CalFan, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 264mag, 28 invisible), 1,333 guests, and 1,017 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,981
Posts18,519,963
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.