Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yeah I tried to blame the arrow a few times. When I first started shooting it seems like 1 outta 3 arrows would go crazy. So I marked that one arrow and the next shot it would work fine. I felt a little better because when I did it right, the arrow went where it should, when i did wrong, it was way off and not in a position to wound anything except a tree.

Like I said though, the other night I noticed those "off" shots were definitely a result of losing my concentration, I was pull my hand down and to the right at the release causing the arrow to go way up and to the left.

i have been trying to only shoot one arrow per target. I got two really close together the other day and screwed up the fletching on one arrow when I hit it. There isn't much for archery shops in this town so I'm trying not to ruin the arrows I have.

Deal with it.
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have found that once I start to get "flyers" it is a good time for a break or to wrap it up for the day. It usually happens when I'm worn out and have flung a lot of arrows. I have found that shooting a traditional bow is more fun than a compound and I end up shooting 100+ times before I know it. Although there is always one or two in a dozen that just don't shoot the same as the others. Also it's not a task you want to do to release some anger because if your pissed to start with you'll only get more frustrated and pissed off.

Last edited by brinky72; 04/26/12.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Get the Masters of the Bare Bow DVD series from 3Rivers.Pay extra attention to the parts by Rod Jenkins.He is a friend of mine and has done more to help my shooting than anyone.

A lot of folks will try to tell you how to shoot that can't hit a barn door.There is also a lot of myth about shooting a trad bow.

What I did was to go to the big trad shoots.I saw who was winning and at the proper time I approached them and asked questions.Most guys are glad to help.You just want advice from the ones that can shoot though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an extra volume 1 of the.masters.of the barebow I'd donate. Might also have a cheap fletching jig in the basement you could use to fix that arrow. Pm me if interested.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The main thing to remember is that people have been shooting bows and arrows for 40,000 years (that we know of). Everything will fix itself if you practice...practice...practice.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by ltppowell
The main thing to remember is that people have been shooting bows and arrows for 40,000 years (that we know of). Everything will fix itself if you practice...practice...practice.

Yes to some extent, but a lot of things can hinder as well.Starting with too much bow weight is one thing that can cause a host of bad form issues.Proper arrow tune is necessary.If your arrows are too weak or stiff,even perfect alignment will result in a left or right impact.

Then there is bad advice about form.There is a lot to be said here and more than one school of thought.All I can say is that the worst shots I have ever seen were in the squat and pivot camp.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Get the Masters of the Bare Bow DVD series from 3Rivers.Pay extra attention to the parts by Rod Jenkins.He is a friend of mine and has done more to help my shooting than anyone.

A lot of folks will try to tell you how to shoot that can't hit a barn door.There is also a lot of myth about shooting a trad bow.

What I did was to go to the big trad shoots.I saw who was winning and at the proper time I approached them and asked questions.Most guys are glad to help.You just want advice from the ones that can shoot though.

I like Rod and he's a heck of shot. However, he shoots extremely light weight bows, heavy arrows and is a dedicated gap shooter.

In my opinion, you'd be better off trying to emulate someone like one of the three 'Freds'. Fred Eichler, G Fred Asbell, and Fred Bear. They are hunters first, use hunting weight bows, and use a style that is suited to hunting game, and not just a paper or foam target for score.

As far as your practice sessions go, I'm a big believer in shooting alot of arrows. It's not uncommon for me to shoot 500 arrows in a session. Vary your distance, shoot NFAA 300 rounds to see how well you actually shoot, get in several positions while shooting, shoot when there is hardly any light, shoot at moving targets, shoot short, shoot long.

Just shoot baby. Until it becomes second nature.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yes to some extent, but a lot of things can hinder as well.Starting with too much bow weight is one thing that can cause a host of bad form issues.Proper arrow tune is necessary.If your arrows are too weak or stiff,even perfect alignment will result in a left or right impact.

Then there is bad advice about form.There is a lot to be said here and more than one school of thought.All I can say is that the worst shots I have ever seen were in the squat and pivot camp.

All true, but again, it's like shooting a shotgun. It's easy to get lost in technique, equipment and advice. Do it enough, and one day, it will all come together. It's hard to accept at first that you are the weakest link.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ltppowell

All true, but again, it's like shooting a shotgun. It's easy to get lost in technique, equipment and advice. Do it enough, and one day, it will all come together. It's hard to accept at first that you are the weakest link.

I see another Tee Shirt slogan out of this !!

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 56 invisible), 2,306 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,040
Posts18,500,763
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.