Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
GSSP Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
I was corrected by a Sierra tech once on how to properly pronounce Lapua. He was close.....Listen

http://www.lapua.com/en/lapua/lapua-video.html

Alan

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I was over there, they pronounced it "LOP-wa."

I asked the president of Valmet how to pronounce "Valmet." He said "VOLL-m't." (Rhymes with "doll mitt.")

Twain wrote "They spell it Da Vinci and pronounce it Da Vinchy. Foreigners always spell better than they pronounce." laugh

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, and they pronounced "decades" with emphasis on the second syllable whereas in the U.S. the emphasis tends to be on the first. I've yet to hear an Englishman pronounce "aluminum" correctly. Someday those foreigners will catch on and start using proper English.

"A free people (claim) their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."
--Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jayhawker
I've yet to hear an Englishman pronounce "aluminum" correctly. Someday those foreigners will catch on and start using proper English.

If only you would spell words corectly you would have much less trouble pronouncing them. You guys say the word the way you spell it but the corect spelling is aluminium and then the pronounciation is easily comprehended. grin grin grin

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by VonGruff
I've yet to hear an Englishman pronounce "aluminum" correctly. Someday those foreigners will catch on and start using proper English.

If only you would spell words corectly you would have much less trouble pronouncing them. You guys say the word the way you spell it but the corect spelling is aluminium and then the pronounciation is easily comprehended. grin grin grin

Von Gruff.

Junior class play: The Family Nobody Wanted - one of the lines was, "We're all out of aluminum paint." The girl could not pronounce the word aluminum - usually came out something like "amoolium". The director finally wrote to the company that owned the play and got written permission to change it to silver paint of which we were out.

Also, one has to be from Buena Vista County, Iowa, or a county in close proximity thereto in order to understand that the correct pronunciation is "Bew(rhymes with new)-nuh Vist(rhymes with list)-uh.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by VonGruff

Von Gruff.
It's spelled both ways ... and BTW correct has 2 RRs

Last edited by digger44; 04/23/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
beat me to it! cry

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, at least it doesn't have that extra "u" thrown in between an "o" and an "r". grin

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Spelling bee or post count?

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've yet to hear an Englishman pronounce "aluminum" correctly.

They do pronounce it correctly using 'english' english not the other version. smile

From Wiki
Aluminium or aluminum (American English)

Last edited by johnfox; 04/23/12.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
j f - correctomundo.. I've never seen alumium grin spelled with 2 I s.

I have heard people say (seriously) alumium.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So. You all are saying the correct pronunciation for Lapua is aluminum. Unless you are in the England.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
When I was over there, they pronounced it "LOP-wa."

I asked the president of Valmet how to pronounce "Valmet." He said "VOLL-m't." (Rhymes with "doll mitt.")

Twain wrote "They spell it Da Vinci and pronounce it Da Vinchy. Foreigners always spell better than they pronounce." laugh

Dr. Ken,

In that tape, it seems to me the Brit was saying LOP-oo-wah. He seemed to be making three syllables out of it, rather than two, as in LOP-wa.

Do the natives make a two syllable word out of Lapua, or was the Brit just adding his touch...?

Those Brit can't speak English, must less Finnish or Swedish... shocked

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lap-poo-a

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JBGQUICK
Lap-poo-a

That's the way we say it, not the way they say it. Their emphasis is on the "LOP" with the "oo" and "ah" following.

It's like Sako. We use the strong "a", they use an "ah".

It's their language, but what do they know... laugh

We'll call'em what we call'em, don't you know... shocked

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I never heard the "oo" over there. If it was there, it was very slight, very short, quite unnoticeable.

The "u" in Lapua, over there, was like (to my ear) like the "u" in persuade, which is certainly not "PER-soo-ade" any place where I've heard it.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Sako...another one of those funny Finn words. I do know my Sako shoots with Lapua brass quite well. laugh

Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
John 8:32

A lie doesn't become truth; wrong doesn't become right; evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by the majority...Rick Warren

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And Sako is "SAH-ko," not "SOCK-oh." Or, if you will, "SAAAH-ko." It's sorta like the difference between we and whee or woe and whoa.

"Good enough" isn't.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Imo, it is,,,,,,,,,,,,La-puu-aah

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I'd expect you to pronounce it "liar".

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 12savage, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 2,514 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,683
Posts18,475,018
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.