Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Colorado National Monument.

It's an enormous mesa with a road to the top,...nice hiking on top of it,...great views.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
We went two summers ago, stayed at the Purgatory ski resort. Did the train ride for the second time, saw 2 bears, a couple elk, and some mule deer on the ride.

The Million Dollar Highway north to Ouray sure is fun, had my wife laying down in the back of the suburban while dad and her grandpa were laughing at her.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Million dollar highway.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pics from our '10 trip

Ice Lake [Linked Image]

Animas Forks

[Linked Image]

Clear Lake
[Linked Image]

Bullion King Lake

[Linked Image]

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm going to Lake City first of Aug. Going to be fun.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Quite a few dude ranches in that area. Take horses up into some of the high meadows on an all day ride. Did that near Mancos when I was younger and it was memorable.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Sig220
May want to take the train up and take the bus back from Silverton. My family found it more enjoyable that way. YMMV

Watch for ashes in your eyes and burning small holes in clothes if you take the open car.

That's what we did on the advise of some seasoned riders, and we were happy with the decission.

" He who refuses to do the arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense" John McCarthy

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Bristoe, I think you've confused Grand Mesa with Colorado National Monument, I live on the slopes of Grand Mesa and have an excellent view of CNM, but, it's not a mesa. I wouldn't recomend either over the Durango area for a visitor.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Colorado National Monument.

It's an enormous mesa with a road to the top,...nice hiking on top of it,...great views.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Lived in Sliverton 25 years ago when working at the mine there.
Take the train up and bus back. Dont get an open car. Pay the extra for a closed coach. Make train reservations early, if you can.

.....civilize 'em with a Krag
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

RipSnort:

Wilson Peak, Mount Wilson, and El Diente Peak are fourteeners located between Durango and Silverton. Most people camp in the gorgeous alpine basins above timberline. Wilson Peak is accessed via Silver Pick Basin and a lot of people camp at an obvious old mine building. Mount Wilson and El Diente Peak are accessed via the upper Dolores River Basin and Navajo Lake is a good place to camp. They are all beautiful and you can see some ski runs from the top of all of them. None of them are truely technical although there is some exposure on El Diente, which you could probably get from the Dunton Meadows Road (USFS road 535) in one day if you were in great shape.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B3

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yep, yep. The Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad is a "must do" if you go to Durango.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
And dont be a flatlander....dont ride the brakes on downhill grades, keep it geared down and dont get scared and think that you are gonna drive off the edge of the highway and down a cliff by riding the center line, you wont.

.....civilize 'em with a Krag
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the tips guys. I should have mentioned in the OP that we'll definitely be doing Mesa/Verde and we'll be doing the one way trip on the train. But is it better to ride UP on the train or BACK on the train or does it even matter? (We'll be sharing tickets). Thanks for the closed car suggestion!
Age ranges in the group will be from infants to 70 years old and everything in between so the activity level will probably trend toward 'less adventure' than more I'd imagine to try and incorporate as many as possible. No cliff climbing for sure.
Most won't be into it but I don't care I'd like to give it a whilrl, any good places to get into some fish? Again there may be kids involved so simple and quantity would be nice? We'll have to rent everything obviously so another consideration.
Thanks again.

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
And oh yeah, thanks for the Alpine Slide suggestion, I'm sure the kids (and those at heart) will like that. smile

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Telluride has the condos and restaurants, a decent playground for the young ones, and nice views from town, although you can run into some snooty, liberal people. You can walk to trails from downtown (which can get crowded during peak times) and drive a short distance to get more breathing room. Stay in town, not the Mountain Village.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
We'll be staying at a large ranch out of any town.

NRA Lifer

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
All good info. The confusion about Co. Nat. Monument still needs clearing up, though- it's the rock formation area that forms the south ridge of the Grand Valley- drive up through it either from Grand Junction or Fruita. Grand Mesa- world's largest flattop mountain- is to the East. Both are considerable distance from
4 Corners area.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The embers from the train are true, but they didn't bother me. First time I rode the train was early April, we got an inside car, but halfway through we put on the coats and went outside and stayed there (train was far from full). In my opinion you can see a lot better on the open cars, and a few embers never hurt anyways. smile

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
The Colorado National Monument is pretty, but if it's rock formations you wish to see, then Arches National Park near Moab beats the pants off of Colorado National Monument. I'd love to direct you to the Grand Valley (Grand Junction area where I live) but, there are better places for you to see on this trip.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
We are an hour or two from the area you are talking about but if you pass thru Gunnison, I can take you fishing or out on the raft or to the shooting range...

Of course if our schedules work out.

NRA Life Member
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,442 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,772
Posts18,476,907
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.