Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Before moving from Denver to Houston in 2010 I did a road trip with the wife and 9mo kid to the 4 corners area.
We hit the Garden of the Gods in Co Springs, the Great Sand Dunes, Mesa Verde, the Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon and Arches National Park. Both camped and stayed in motels.
The poor little guy spent hours in the car seat and then in the trekking backpack. Long drives to get to those places, but it was totally worth it and he enjoyed it a bunch. My daughter wouldn't have been as keen to remain in the car seat smile
There is a train museum in Durango and of course amazing train rides.
I realize some of the places I mentioned are far out from your basecamp, but to us it was the only time to get to see them until who knows when. We did take a heli flight over the grand Canyon which was even more impressive from the air than at eye level.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I rolled into Durango in '95. It was a very nice, but Yuppoe town. I just ETS'd from the 82nd and was obviously a veteran. The town seemed full of New Yorkers (pushy rude self absorbed city types; like home only different). I tried to get a cup of coffee and was pointedly refused service/ignored for twenty minutes. i know it was twenty because I really needed that cup of coffee for being 14 hours on the road and still had more to go that day. Well the turds in the coffee shop pretended I wasn't there until the male finally served me. I remembered he huffed and rolled his eyes like my ex-wife, only she was beautiful. So I was pretty butt-hurt and rolled into Cortez. Cortez was a breath of hope and fresh air. Cortez was America. Durango was LA, SF and NY. Good luck. I'll never go through Durango again.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not smart enough to post a link, but google Bishops' Castle. It's not real close, but worth the drive.

[Linked Image]

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
KC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Bishop's Castle is a long way from Durango, an eight-hour drive.

Previous respondents have mentioned Colorado National Monument and some have suggested that it's just so-so. You know if you want to see some pretty rock formations you could drive the Dolores River canyon from Uruvan to Gateway. It's a prettier drive and it's free. Both are a couple of hours from Durango, so they would not be on the top of my list for a vacation destination if my base was in Durango.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KC

Bishop's Castle is a long way from Durango, an eight-hour drive.

Previous respondents have mentioned Colorado National Monument and some have suggested that it's just so-so. You know if you want to see some pretty rock formations you could drive the Dolores River canyon from Uruvan to Gateway. It's a prettier drive and it's free. Both are a couple of hours from Durango, so they would not be on the top of my list for a vacation destination if my base was in Durango.

KC

Thanks for the correction, KC, I got this thread mixed up with the Colo Springs post.

Last edited by weaselsRus; 04/29/12.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 204guy, 55 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,775
Posts18,515,691
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.