Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
grinMaarty, if ya ever take the wrong turn at Albequerque and end up in our midst, I think we could have you crewed just as bad in very short order grin

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh as it is every time Shenah sees me on this forum she gets a nasty look in her eye. The kids hate it too since I figured out that if I take their bus money and make them walk to school I'll have enough saved in a year to buy a new rifle, press, dies, and a heap of powder etc.

I've got the itch, just need to save enough to scratch it without breaking into the housekeeping money.

The original international turd
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinGasoline on the fire!! grin MY "Ghost and Darkness" grin
[Linked Image]

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Watch'em Marty, that ET is indeed an EVIL enabler laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
grinGasoline on the fire!! grin MY "Ghost and Darkness" grin
[Linked Image]

That does it!!

I'm about to borrow some Lingerie and high heels and go sell myself on the corner, I'll get the money one way or another. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grinGlad I could help grin

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunner500
Thats a nice lookin' six-shooter EE, what is it?

And thats right Evil, it is getting mighty dark [black] around here grin

Gunner
That's an original Smith and Wesson #3 Single Action, 2nd Model American in .44 Russian. Some call them 1st Russians or Old, old Russians. This one was made in 1874 and came from Fredrickburg, Texas. The Smith's pre-dated the Colt SAA and were well represented in the same years that the early Buffalo slaughter took place. John Wesley Hardin used one of these to kill a Deputy Sheriff very near Fredricksburg and Wyatt Earp very possibly used a 3rd model Russian (which this gun evolved into) at the OK Corral shootout. His brother Virgil owned an even later model, a New Model #3, like this one.

[Linked Image]

Here's a rimfire version of the first gun. .44 Henry.

[Linked Image]

Here's a pic from the Cowboy Hall of Fame in Oklahoma City, of one in a holster.

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Gunner.

You spent some valuable time with Bill learning how to load and shoot your rifle.
I had the opportunity to spend time with Bill and Sitra both are A#1 folks.

My first reproduction Sharps was a .45-120 and what Bill said that it can be cantankerous and un-ruly was what I found when I started to work with that Bear. But in time when I realised what I was doing when breaking the trigger on a uncocked hammer and heard that click was pushing my shoulder ahead anticipating the recoil and I worked my way out of this problem by a shooting a lot of rounds down range I guess I can say I got used to the recoil and I found that the big 3-1/4 is capable of very fine accuracy.
The 120 gets a bad rep I think from people that have shot them and cant tolerate the heavy recoil and blame it on the rifle or caliber and some that have never sent the lead ball down range..
Put the information you learned from Bill and shoot that rifle every chance you get and the calibre will will serve you well.

Kurt

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Very nice revolvers EE, I have a second gen 45 SAA I could load with black powder and lead slugs, or a friend has a bunch of very old Colt cap and ball revolvers.

Dont know if he would sell me one, or even how much one would cost should he decide to, but they are sweet, but may be to old to pack with a Sharps, not sure when they were made.

Kurt71, yessir that big 45-120 came on like an artillery piece, very accurate, and I fired over 40 rounds of Bill's handloads and didnt even have to swab the bore, not once.

Its a cool old rifle, and it has LOTS more to teach me. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice revolvers EE, I have a second gen 45 SAA I could load with black powder and lead slugs, or a friend has a bunch of very old Colt cap and ball revolvers.

Dont know if he would sell me one, or even how much one would cost should he decide to, but they are sweet, but may be to old to pack with a Sharps, not sure when they were made.

Kurt71, yessir that big 45-120 came on like an artillery piece, very accurate, and I fired over 40 rounds of Bill's handloads and didnt even have to swab the bore, not once.

Its a cool old rifle, and it has LOTS more to teach me. wink

Gunner

You could pack any old C&B revolver, they never really lost popularity till the 90's. Navy colts in particular stayed around. You have to remember the old guns were tools and just because a newer one appeared on the scene didn't mean the old ones got tossed aside, a lot of people couldn't afford to run out and replace their old C&B revolver just because new ones came out.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes, I understand what yer sayin' Marty, was just concerned if the Colt cap n ball would be period correct to tote along with the Sharps on a hunt.

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You guys are killin me. I need to get my 45-90 sent off and worked over.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes, get a move on EH grin, ET and i will be out soon lookin' for Buff on the hoof, and sumptin bacon wrapped off da grill laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
grilled bacon wrapped gopher?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL...NAW EH, but i'd gopher some bacon wrapped Buffler loin laugh

Gunner

Oh, and i jest met a man last Thursday that can most likely git yer charcoal burner up and runnin' wink

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by BrentD
Well, you know all those scoped rifles you have now -- they may good trade bait for some poor, unenlightened sucker and you can turn the dollars around and by another "REAL" gun.

Yep, and my next "REAL" gun is gonna be a Hi-Wall in 50-90. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BrentD
Well, you know all those scoped rifles you have now -- they may good trade bait for some poor, unenlightened sucker and you can turn the dollars around and by another "REAL" gun.

Yep, and my next "REAL" gun is gonna be a Hi-Wall in 50-90. wink

Gunner

grinOh Goody!! grin I get to turn the screws yet again!! grin A 45/90 though
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I hear ya ET, got to do a little more revestigating on the Hi-Walls.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A week ago the local funshop had an original (refinished) High wall in .45-90, with a pretty decent bore. Not sure if it is already sold, however.

Edit to add, I also wouldn't mind finding another Field's Patent falling block. like the one I had some years ago - except preferably with a good bore.

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 04/30/12.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Hey Tex, my original thoughts on the Hi-Walls were in the case someone needed to lean on a load for a bit more power, I think the actions are stronger, but after a little more "learnin", a good '74 Sharps with the right bullet and load may be more than enough for 99.9% of the game animals anywhere in the world. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shiloh is showing the 1874 available in .405 Winchester, which is not a low pressure cartridge, so I think it's probably strong enough to tolerate any "leaned-on" load your shoulder can tackle smile

I think ya'll are all bad influences, anyway. grin

A week ago I decided to sell a Baer to fund a Dakota M10, but now ye all got me wafflin' toward a BPCR, after I actually did sell the Baer. grin

I actually got my first deer 20+years ago with a Browning B78, in .25-06, the first of a dozen or more single shot rifles. I've dabbled with muzzleloaders, but never Black in a cartridge rifle. I know I could run Black in the Ruger .45-70, but it seems more fitting to do it with something period correct. The Miroku High Walls are very well made, but I'd prefer to buy something made here. Anyhow, I am debating between a High Wall of some sort, or a Shiloh. I sent Shiloh a couple of questions via email; hopefully I'll figure out what the heck I am doing, sometime soon. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

315 members (17CalFan, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 264mag, 28 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 1,016 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,981
Posts18,519,963
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.