Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rembo
That's very nice,...I'd leave it in 7 Rem Mag and hunt it,...but that's me.

You probably have a 30/06, too. Might even be a closet 270 guy smile

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very Nice, and I'm happy you ended up with it. cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Holy crap that's NICE!!!!

You don't plan on using it, do you...? wink

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
OH MY NO! I am going to build a glass box around it and charge people to look at it <G>

Don't expect this rifle to look this nice if you ever see it in person a year or two from now. Ridin on a Rokon is kinda hard on 'em.

Thanks for the nice compliment, now you know why the 257WBY is headin your way. I wish that I could have afforded to keep them both, but such is no longer how my life works. NO complaints however and I sure hope this or any other of my posts never sound like one. I never thought I would ever have a rifle this nice and to manage to obtain it now, while not able to work and pretty darned sick is just amazing.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WOW!!!

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think it's the start of even better things to come! smile

Congrats on that beautiful rifle and thanks again for selling me your 257 WBY. Win-win!

Eric

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You get up this way.....bring it. The beisens are here in town. Nice rig....rough way to get it. I hope it shoots well.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by safariman
Originally Posted by rembo
That's very nice,...I'd leave it in 7 Rem Mag and hunt it,...but that's me.

You probably have a 30/06, too. Might even be a closet 270 guy smile

well,..actually I have two 30-06's(a '59 M70 Fwt & a Win M54 from '26) and a 270(1951 Model 70)...:-)

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You gonna send it to IT&D for the rechamber? sick laugh

I hope it can be remarked 7mm Mashburn on the barrel without looking cheesy. That is one beautiful rifle! If it had the shifter on the other side and it were mine I'd forgo the extra 150 fps and leave her as she is but I guess life is too short to settle for less than what you want. Hope you have lots of great hunts with it, safariman!

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

What a rifle! Defines the word CLASS.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Mark,

That there's one purty rifle. To bad they put the bolt on the wrong side. grin

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sambo3006
You gonna send it to IT&D for the rechamber? sick laugh

I hope it can be remarked 7mm Mashburn on the barrel without looking cheesy. That is one beautiful rifle! If it had the shifter on the other side and it were mine I'd forgo the extra 150 fps and leave her as she is but I guess life is too short to settle for less than what you want. Hope you have lots of great hunts with it, safariman!

================================================================
If this fine rifle were mine I would leave it be chamber wise. First of all something might go wrong with the barrel which is special and fits a custom stock.

Also the 7mm RM is an excellent magnum and it makes far more sense than the odd 7mm Mash. If that rifle were chambered for some odd wildcat that cannot fire standard ammo I would not buy it unless it had a round barrel. Then I could get that stock and action.

Note also that it has no recoil pad. The 7mm RM kicks less than a larger case.

[Linked Image]

If you just got why are the pictures dated 2008?

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Because I NEVER adjust the dates on my camera's!
I never even look at the dates, and would not have noticed that one if it had not been pointed out.

LEAVE it in a standard chambering? you have not read much of this or the other thread about my being a total, unadulterated and completely unrepentant velocity whore, did you?

Surely you jest! smile

MARK

PS it might be a bit tough to get an octagon barrel with a full length integral rib and sight straight into a chuck for a re chamber.

Last edited by safariman; 05/01/12.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To each his own.

Long ago I 'designed' a cartridge and had a rifle so chambered. What a waste but it seemed like fun at the time. I still have it however mine will fire standard 375 H&H ammo.

If you can try to find out who made that barrel?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's one beautiful rifle. Leave it alone and take it out hunting.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I hate to take the rifle apart but know it much come apart for the barrel to come off and for normal cleaning etc someday anyway so will separate the stock and action later today and look for makers marks or other signs of who made this thing. I do, of course, have good guns specific hollow ground screwdrivers etc but I am afraid of big 'ol stupid hand slipping. smile Got to get over that, I know. <G>

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just located a couple of different gunsmiths who are happy to take on the project and have no cncerns. First guy I talked to acted like I had asked him to re build a working replica of the space shuttle when he heard of the octagon ribbed barrel. Interesting to say the least. All gunsmiths are NOT created equal! That much is painfully clear.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RinB
The mounts and rings are not Talley but are by Lenard Brownell. The rib and sights look like his as well.

Correction: If it is a Flaig's barrel then the rib is integral but the rings and bases are Brownell

Rick beat me to it...not to differ with Karnis,but it is a fact that Brownell designed that mount/ring style a long time before Talley.

Matter of fact, I may go out on a limb here.....I am not so sure but that the whole rifle may be a Lenard Brownell.....there is something familiar about the styling.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
THAT could be cool, but how would one tell, or know? For sure?

T
TMR Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by RinB
The mounts and rings are not Talley but are by Lenard Brownell. The rib and sights look like his as well.

Correction: If it is a Flaig's barrel then the rib is integral but the rings and bases are Brownell

Rick beat me to it...not to differ with Karnis,but it is a fact that Brownell designed that mount/ring style a long time before Talley.

Matter of fact, I may go out on a limb here.....I am not so sure but that the whole rifle may be a Lenard Brownell.....there is something familiar about the styling.

You might be on to something there Bob. It does look like something Lenard would have built. I will have to check some of my old gunsmithing books I inherited. They have some of his work in them.

Really shouldn't be any worries with the full rib and a lathe chuck. If they are doing it correctly, they should be using a 4 jaw anyway to dial things in.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 47 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,100
Posts18,502,101
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.