Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by nuguy
What's a good price on the vx6 2-12x40 plex model? Most places have them listed for $900-$1000. Do you think a Swarovski z3 3-10x40 for $800 is a better scope for the same money?

The Swaro is a 3-10x42...

One really big difference is you CANNOT get an upgraded turret for that model Swaro. I have one (the AV version) and it's very nice, but if a fancy turret is something you want, you can scratch it off the list.

That being said, the stock turret is resettable and is very usable out to 600, 700 yards.

The Swaro is lighter.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
How many MOA is built into one turn of that Swaro out of curiousity?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
JG, I don't know offhand and I'm out in my shop. I'll check later for you.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Bwilliams1848
Still no words of wisdom regarding the scopecoat?

Scope coat works great to protect the scope in the safe or just general protection but I don't use it for hunting, but it can be used to protect a scope in hunting situations depending how you hunt...just use your imagination!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by RDFinn
If I'm not mistaken, I believe Leupold uses their "Fire Dot" illuminated system in those VX-6's. Just saying cause the folks I know who have used them seem to like them.

An observation FWIW. Looked through a couple of the VX-6 and VX-R scopes the other day. The etched Firedot Duplex reticle in the VX-R looked real good. The opening is wider than regular Duplex and both sections just a bit heavier. To me, the VX-R 3-9x40 looked every bit as good as the VX-6 2-12 and had excellent eyebox and relief characteristics. After messing with the Firedot a bit I really want one, previously I'd not given them enough of a chance. Powered off - they are nice and bold. With the dot lit up - throw it up against a dark background and there's not doubt. The VX-6 I handled was the wire non-Firedot Duplex... On the fence for a VX-R 2-7 or 3-9. Email back from Leupold said that 2-7 and 3-9 but not 4-12 VX-Rs are M1 compatible and any Firedot reticle can be switched out. OT

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That 4-12x40 VX-R w/ fire dot duplex does come with CDS though, if that matters.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Anyone using butler creeks on a vx6? Didn't know if it was possible with the fast focus eyepiece.

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you end up picking one of those up, I'd like to take a peek through it sometime.

Originally Posted by oregontripper
Originally Posted by RDFinn
If I'm not mistaken, I believe Leupold uses their "Fire Dot" illuminated system in those VX-6's. Just saying cause the folks I know who have used them seem to like them.

An observation FWIW. Looked through a couple of the VX-6 and VX-R scopes the other day. The etched Firedot Duplex reticle in the VX-R looked real good. The opening is wider than regular Duplex and both sections just a bit heavier. To me, the VX-R 3-9x40 looked every bit as good as the VX-6 2-12 and had excellent eyebox and relief characteristics. After messing with the Firedot a bit I really want one, previously I'd not given them enough of a chance. Powered off - they are nice and bold. With the dot lit up - throw it up against a dark background and there's not doubt. The VX-6 I handled was the wire non-Firedot Duplex... On the fence for a VX-R 2-7 or 3-9. Email back from Leupold said that 2-7 and 3-9 but not 4-12 VX-Rs are M1 compatible and any Firedot reticle can be switched out. OT

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JGRaider
How many MOA is built into one turn of that Swaro out of curiousity?

JG, my 3-10x42 AV has 14 MOA in a revolution.

<edit: stop here if you don't want to read my tired blathering!>

It's enough to get me further than I'd shoot at game on the rifle it's on (a light 7WSM) and I appreciate them supplying it as-issued with a slick little resettable finger-turn turret... on the downside the markings are limited, and it'd certainly be nice if an upgrade path existed. It's far from ideal but tracks great and in the end, I can hit stuff with it quite effectively out to 500 or so.. I did shoot it further last fall, with mixed results (750 yards is a long [bleep]' ways away!) and intend to this spring/summer as the noggin allows.

I run it with a redneck CDS setup so the lame markings (they only go up to 8 MOA) don't really matter.

Those VX6's horn me up; I'm following your reports on yours with great interest.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
JeffO, thank you sir ! If it weren't already mounted I'd send it to you for you to check it out.

Last edited by JGRaider; 05/02/12.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oregontripper
The VX-6 I handled was the wire non-Firedot Duplex... OT

I thought all VX-6 scopes had etched reticles?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by KDK
If you end up picking one of those up, I'd like to take a peek through it sometime.

Sure. I'm having a hard time resisting.

Originally Posted by JohnMoses

JM, Not 100% certain. Thought the VX-6 regular Duplex models are just like all the other non-illuminated Leupy Duplex, wire. But I've been browsing Midwayusa and their site says wire, maybe got that idea there? Just fired off an email to Leupold and will report.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The duplex reticle is etched. Not sure about the ill. ones.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by oregontripper
Originally Posted by KDK

Sure. I'm having a hard time resisting.

Originally Posted by JohnMoses

JM, Not 100% certain. Thought the VX-6 regular Duplex models are just like all the other non-illuminated Leupy Duplex, wire. But I've been browsing Midwayusa and their site says wire, maybe got that idea there? Just fired off an email to Leupold and will report.

I would be interested when you hear back. Thanks for checking on something I hadn't even thought of yet!

A
A

incorrect, the duplex is an electroform reticle

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Leupold uses etched reticles for their B&C type offerings and in their heavy duty use tactical scopes due to their extra strength.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by antiantis

incorrect, the duplex is an electroform reticle

OK if you say so, but I can tell you it looks slightly different than a VX3 plex reticle. Also, it stays black all the time.

A
A
yep, it should. they are converting all their duplex reticles to the electroform. i was curious about the "black all the time" comment so i called them and they told me that they are now blackening the reticle. they stated that this cuts down on internal light refraction, and increases low light visibility of the reticle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gotta be some catchy new trademark name attached to them actually blackening a reticle. I'd be disappointed otherwise.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Ultra-wave Blackened Reticle Deposition...

So the ones that will look amber sometimes are wire, and the nice black ones are deposited, and the nice black with Firedot are etched? Still awaiting info.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 54 invisible), 2,651 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,188
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.