Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by safariman
THAT could be cool, but how would one tell, or know? For sure?

I dunno for sure....his Sheridan rifles were marked on the barrel, and numbered....but not sure of his earlier stuff.The butt stock "looks" like it could be one of his because it is very classic,although he could build a tasteful Monte Carlo,but he was very good at incorporating some roccoco styling into an otherwise classic design....or schnabels for example. He was very versatile and not tied to a style.

I can spot a Biesen across a room, or a Goens, but a Brownell is a LOT harder to spot.The other thing is he did more point pattern checkering than he did fleur di lis....that rifle has a simple pattern,but looks well done.Brownell was a creative guy,equally adept at metal and wood...he was a rifle "builder"; not just a stockmaker.A barrel like that would not be out of character on a Brownell rifle.

Just a WAG on my part but it would be pretty neat if it were a Brownell...if I'm wrong then ignore everything I just said.... grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
With that octagon barrel and express sights, it looks very similar to Elmer Keiths CH .338/378KT.

Are you going to have anything done besides the rechamber job?

Very nice looking rifle. cool

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Dave93,

Thank you so much for the kind words, cannot theink of anything else to do besides firelap the barrel, then re chamber, then UBC duracoat the inside of the bbl, mount my Loopy 4.5-14x40 Gloss scope atop and carry on.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
BobinNH,

OK, I can't STAND it any longer I am taking the plunge! Removing the stock and barreled action from one another to look for markings! Pears requested.... smile

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
OK! I found a marking! First off the whole rifle has been glass bedded form stem to stern. Tang tip to forend tip so was a little tight and stiff getting apart.

The mark on the bottom of the barrel looks like a flaming capitol D or maybe a backwards E and a D together, sharing the same straigth line that makes the main straight part of both letters. Is this any kind of help or clue to anyone here? I sure do appreciate eveyones kind words and interest in this piece.

MARK

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It also could be, and this might be more accurate, a D with an integral crown.

I hope to get some intel or clues now.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Mark it ain't ringing a bell....have no idea. frown Oh well....

How is the inletting, nicely done?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Looks good, better job of glassing than I have ever done. Inletting VS glassing looks to both be nicely executed.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I believe I can tell you if it is a Lenard Brownell but need full length pics of both sides as well as one from the bottom

Last edited by RinB; 05/01/12.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If anyone can tell by looking,Rick can.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I will get on that in a bit! Thanks!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
OK, and thank you in advance to Rick and the other 24hrcf custom rifle experts, truly. More pics with the requested detail and other views on this rifle.

Full view facinig left

[Linked Image]

Full view facing right

[Linked Image]

Bottom views, various.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So, do the pro's here think this to be an L. Brownell piece? The only marking I can find is on the underside of the barrel, and it is a D (I think) with an integral crown or flames coming off of its backside.

MARK

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
That is some high quality work there! Absolutely beautiful.

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thank you, deerhunter. I am sure liking it being in the safe, to stay! (except for a brief trip to a smithy for the re chamber soon....)

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Mark,

Freakin' FANTASTIC rifle! I love it; so many crazy cool ubber-custom accouterments!

I admit I thought you were a little off letting go of that Roy, but I can really understand why now!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Every pic I see of that rifle gets better and better. What a sharp, classy build! I'm curious who did it!

Eric

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Steelhead
You going with a McMillan swirl or Edge?

If you'd have paid attention to the last 'new rifle for Mark' thread you'd know he is more of a Butler Creek kind of guy grin ...

Ok I just threw up in my mouth sick !!!!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You guys are NEVER going to let me live down my Fraankenstein rifle, are ya.... <G>

I am afraid to put that rifle and this one in the same safe. Might be time for old Frankie to go bye bye.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EricM
Every pic I see of that rifle gets better and better. What a sharp, classy build! I'm curious who did it!

Eric

thank you, Eric.

I am hoping to find out who the builder was, myself. Hopefully with the new pics RinB will have enough intel to make a call on that. If nnot, I am STILL going to treasure it and hopefully hunt the HAIL outta it, as my health allows.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'd add a pad and go forth. I actually like that rig, sans the metal ass.

Aesthetics don't trump functionality

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,442 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,562
Posts18,491,792
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.