Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
A guess but if I had this horse in hand, from what I've read, a good bit of light ground work with emphasis on giving to the right would be what I'd try first keeping a weather eye out for pain the whole time. If nothing else it would begin to fill the right side hole in her handling but could lead to an answer. Just checking how she will lead from the right might be telling.

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
I'd be having a vet check the back/spine,

or better, an equine chiropractor.....

P
Pat85 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
The nasty infection on her withers which idled her for about a half a year was on the right side

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Absolutely watch her gait, but horses don't come unglued just because you're turning them. If you got their mind you have it in both directions.

If shes having trouble with that side, I personally wouldn't keep working her to it. You can lose a lot more ground than you can gain hurting them and keeping them sore.
Sounds to me like the mares hurting.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Reads like there is some pretty good agreement here from several

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
yep

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I was riding a borrowed Mare today, she is a very good girl but has a few quirks you have to watch. she is an appolosa well trained.a Girl rode her horse too close to me and before I could do anything my horse made a quick switch and kicked the girls horse in the hind quarters,I almost had her under control so I don't think it did any harm to the horse. I was more worried about her kicking the rider but she missed her thank god.

I have to keep her 10 feet from other horses or that is what happens most of the time. she is such a go anywhere girl I love riding her she does pick on me. sometimes she will get ahold of my shirt sleeve and yank it then look away like she is saying, who me I diden't do that... I am working on my horse to get her back in shape, about 3 more weeks and she will be ready for an outing. she lost a lot of weight and I am building her up..I am going to shut up now . have a good evening all.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Hubert, that mare is screwing with you and I suggest you straighten her out right quick before something else happens.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
P
Pat85 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P

If shes having trouble with that side, I personally wouldn't keep working her to it. You can lose a lot more ground than you can gain hurting them and keeping them sore.

I let them out in the pasture yesterday. She came out the gate like it was the Belmont stakes and loped around the field before starting to graze. I couldn't detect any signs of pain in that little romp unlike my white gelding who I could see stepping off not right.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Hubert
I was riding a borrowed Mare today, she is a very good girl but has a few quirks you have to watch.

Does the owner think the mare's antics are "cute"?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
no. just me.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Hubert.When she gets hold of you under the shirt sleeve it's going to hurt. Get a horseshoe nail or? and stick it between you fingers and when she nips, give her a little tap with that nail on the fleshy part of the cheek. The nail should be sticking out as your hand is flat.

That kicking is going to get some one hurt real bad .Sooner or later you won't catch it in time and she will get another riders knee ,or another horse in the mouth or leg.
That's one of those things that when she gets close to doing it,you get after her like your'e gpoing to kill her.

Last edited by saddlesore; 05/02/12.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pat85

I let them out in the pasture yesterday. She came out the gate like it was the Belmont stakes and loped around the field before starting to graze. I couldn't detect any signs of pain in that little romp unlike my white gelding who I could see stepping off not right.

I had one that figured out he'd get some time off being a bleeding heart; should have sold him to hollywood.

Saddlesore, I use a pin. They learn pretty quick.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
When a critter as big and powerful as a horse does "cute" stuff, read it as "dangerous".

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
P
Pat85 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I took my mare to another barn and worked her in their indoor arena. Big difference when there isn't other horses to distract her. Stepped off good in both directions and when she settled down she dropped her head and gave that big walk I like about her. She has fear, we think of pain from the wither infection and from the lack of good training. The horse was behind the eight ball when I got her and really fell behind when she got infected. She really didn't try to buck the system, just a little unsure what to do. A couple more weeks of this, I think I will tack her up and get on her.

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,618
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.