Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What's your opinion on these? The reason i'm asking is,i want to buy a Winchester model70. I was looking at featherwieght but the wood stock leaves something to be desired. So i started to entertain the extreme weather.Just don't know much about B&C stocks.Opinoins are apreciated.....thanks.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've got, or had, a bunch, and never had any complaints. They are a little heavier than other brands, but with a good skim-bed job, they are pretty good stocks.
Currently, I've got three Carbelites, and three DuraMaxx, and had zero issues with them.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Perfect stock for a Winchester M70

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like peanut butter & jelly.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
What you don't know about the M70 would fill a book--including the 82 moves fable.

IC B2

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Stock choice is highly personal because one's body shape matters so much--what fits one person well is dreadful for someone else. But I would have to say that for me, on the M70 nothing comes close to either the McMillan compact for small caliber applications and the Echols Legend for larger ones.

I also do not have any first hand experience with the SC M70s because they are right handed and I am not. But people whose opinion I value think highly of them. Too bad they changed the trigger design, though.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by utah708
What you don't know about the M70 would fill a book--including the 82 moves fable.

I know I ain't prone to masturbate over one, nor cry about the loss of a mini-cooper, but then again I still have my prostate.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
[Linked Image]

What would be better with the above car, a Louis Vuitton or a Gucci purse?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I you like a heavy stock you could do a lot worse. I took the B&C off my EW and replaced it with an Edge. Rifle lost 1/2 lb and I like the trimmer grip, checkering, and forearm much better.

I took the stock from the EW and put it on my FN patrol rifle and trashed the 3+ lb. Hogue stock that came on the FN. The FN is 1.25 lb lighter now. Both shoot as well, or better than before.

On a heavier target or varmit rifle I think they are at least as good as the HS-Precision, and they are a lot cheaper than HS.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gravestone
What's your opinion on these? The reason i'm asking is,i want to buy a Winchester model70. I was looking at featherwieght but the wood stock leaves something to be desired. So i started to entertain the extreme weather.Just don't know much about B&C stocks.Opinoins are apreciated.....thanks.

Rather have a B & C over a Houge or Ramline for what thats worth

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To me the wrist on a B&C feels more like a fence post than a plow handle... too thick for my comfort.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Two main lines for B&C: carbelite injection molded, and the Medalist aluminum bedded models. The Carbelites are reasonably light and have nice lines, but are not stiff enough for use on a very accurate rifle. I don't see much advantage to them over a factory synthetic or wood stock, aside from feel.
The aluminum bedded Medalist line can be heavy, but their A1 Ultralight models are reasonably trim, and are very stiff for their weight. They also offer pillar bedded "mountain" type stocks, that are quite a bit lighter than the full aluminum bed models. Not sure if those are available for the Winchester though.
If you're fan of aluminum bedding, they're a good alternative to HS Precision at a similar price point. If you want stiff and lighter, go with Manners or McMillan for 2-3x the price. I use a Medalist M40 stock on my heavy .308, and like it quite a bit for accuracy purposes.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Stocky's take: Hard to find a better hunting stock for your U.S. Repeating Arms bolt action rifle. At about a pound-and-three-fourths it won't weigh you down when the bulls are in the canyons and the aluminum bedding block will give you the best possible accuracy for an out-of-the-box stock. If you have one of the above rifles I highly recommend bolting one on. No checkering - 28 oz average (Stocky weighed several.)

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-459/Bell-and-Carlson-Browning/Detail

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I like B&C better than HS. Same basic construction, but the B&C is cheaper, and has a real recoil pad. Plus they tend to be less clublike.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Poodleshooter
Two main lines for B&C: carbelite injection molded, and the Medalist aluminum bedded models. The Carbelites are reasonably light and have nice lines, but are not stiff enough for use on a very accurate rifle. I don't see much advantage to them over a factory synthetic or wood stock, aside from feel.
The aluminum bedded Medalist line can be heavy, but their A1 Ultralight models are reasonably trim, and are very stiff for their weight. They also offer pillar bedded "mountain" type stocks, that are quite a bit lighter than the full aluminum bed models. Not sure if those are available for the Winchester though.
If you're fan of aluminum bedding, they're a good alternative to HS Precision at a similar price point. If you want stiff and lighter, go with Manners or McMillan for 2-3x the price. I use a Medalist M40 stock on my heavy .308, and like it quite a bit for accuracy purposes.

Bell and Carlson does not offer an injection molded stock.They are all fiberglass stocks. The Carbelite does not have checkering or the aluminum bedding block

Last edited by 338rcm; 05/07/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My TI Remington is a B&C and it's great

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i like the Ti stocks too, but the M70 Medalist is a little 'chunkier' all around.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Chopped glass sprayed into a mold.
I'll pass.

I had one on my .300 Wby Vanguard from a Sub-MOA model take off. It was okay at the time, but when I could get better I did.

Last edited by THOMASMAGNUM; 05/07/12. Reason: added thought
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I just purchased an Alaskan Ti 700 SA BDL Mag Barrel Channel from Stockys. Should be here tomorrow. Can't wait to see what it looks like. Plain Jane painted black. Hoping my recent purchase 700 E R Shaw 22" Fluted barrel in 358 Win will be a drop-in fit.

Ken

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I recently picked up a Carbelite for a Savage 110 action (338-06). I really like the feel. However, do not consider it a drop-in and go shoot ordeal. Lots of work with the Dremel to get it to fit. And, now I'm putting pillars in while I'm at it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (21, 35, 7887mm08, afisher, 257_X_50, 9 invisible), 924 guests, and 843 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,917
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.