Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Tanner
I just got 200 AMAXes in for the 280, and it ain't going to be enough. Wish they'd sell them in boxes of 600...

Didn't one of those guys up in AK poke some holes in some swamp donkeys with the AM? I can't grow the ballbag to spend 35-40 bucks on 50 Accubonds.

I've got 1300 162's sitting on the shelf, which should get me through the summer. Come fall, I'm not gonna hesitate to ventilate Bullwinkle with an AM if I get the chance...

I mind the price when talking about practice bullets, but I fire maybe 10-15 hunting bullets through each rifle every year, so a few extra dollars for the good stuff ain't gonna kill me smile

How many 7's you got? 1300 rounds is more than smokepole got out of his P-N 7 WSM before the throat went south...

I've currently only got around 400 of the 162's on hand but my buddy at the gun shop keeps them in stock for me...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
But the bullet manufacturers just skipped right over the .277 bore when they iron the suck of the 6.5's and 7mm.

It's like they........... knew things.

It's their origins Jeff;not the bore size.This has been said here before,but the 6.5 and 7mm's existed as military calibers....and among the first smokeless calibers as well.Their "forte" was long, heavy for caliber bullets in both military and sporting configurations,and fast twists to stabilize them.The military heritage insured they'd be used for target work as well...As new cases were developed, the fast twists stuck around

You can look this up by reading about the use of 6.5's and 7mm Mauser in Africa and North America back around and after the turn of the 20th Century.

The 270, OTOH, started out as a high velocity cartridge, lighter bullets at high velocity,and as a hunting cartridge.This actually distinguished it from "other" cartridges of the time.

Why .277? No one seems to really know exactly why.....but there is nothing inherently inferior about it.....it's just twist and bullets....And commonly repeated misconceptions,common usage, and truisms that aren't really "true"..We sure see a lot of that. smile

I know... I was just messing with you late-night! grin

I'm happy for you poor .277 SOB's that the bullet designers are FINALLY getting off their butts and makin you some bullets. Given the number of .270's out there it's kind of a head scratcher to be honest why it's taken so long.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Way I see it, you aren't going to notice the difference between a .5 BC and a .65 BC under 6-700 yards, unless there is a big fat wind. And maybe it's just me and my way, but I'm not going to shoot at game if there's enough wind to make me question myself...

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I just got 200 AMAXes in for the 280, and it ain't going to be enough. Wish they'd sell them in boxes of 600...

Didn't one of those guys up in AK poke some holes in some swamp donkeys with the AM? I can't grow the ballbag to spend 35-40 bucks on 50 Accubonds.

I've got 1300 162's sitting on the shelf, which should get me through the summer. Come fall, I'm not gonna hesitate to ventilate Bullwinkle with an AM if I get the chance...

I mind the price when talking about practice bullets, but I fire maybe 10-15 hunting bullets through each rifle every year, so a few extra dollars for the good stuff ain't gonna kill me smile

How many 7's you got? 1300 rounds is more than smokepole got out of his P-N 7 WSM before the throat went south...

A couple few... *grin*

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Because

Given the number of .270's out there it's kind of a head scratcher to be honest why it's taken so long.

Because there are maybe (a big maybe) 1 in 100 hunters that have even the faintest idea of how to shoot past 200 yards. From what I've seen of the those who actively hunt, it's more like 1 in 500, or 1 in a 1,000.

IC B2

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Form, can you go into what you mean by 'know how' to shoot past 200 a little more? Just proper shot placement/knowledge of ballistics/field positioning?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Because

Given the number of .270's out there it's kind of a head scratcher to be honest why it's taken so long.

Because there are maybe (a big maybe) 1 in 100 hunters that have even the faintest idea of how to shoot past 200 yards. From what I've seen of the those who actively hunt, it's more like 1 in 500, or 1 in a 1,000.

Form-not sure where you live or hunt but where I'm from it'd be a grave mistake to bet against the vast majority of the hunters past 200 yds. Sure, past 400 people get a bit wonky. But, day in and day out I can't say it'd be tough to find a good game shot around here that can go a lot longer than 200 with ease and then some!

I've worked the our ranges sight in days and far and away the people are more than capable with a gun.

And, with proper coaching it aint no bigga casa grande to get people ready to hot game to 400 under the right conditions and with the right set ups and proper training.

Just what I've observed in my part of the world.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Because

Well.....yeah.....there IS that! grin

JeffO: I knew you were messin' which is why I told ya to go back to bed! wink

Yeah it has been a terrible handicap with a 270 all these years.....those times I felt terribly handicapped, I grabbed a 7mm of some sort.That fixed things.... grin

My second head of western game was a pronghorn.....through a 4X,he looked far.I held for 400 yards and killed him with a chest shot.Of course, by then, I had piles of woodchucks under my belt,many killed with a 270;plus many rounds at the range out to 500 or so.Thoughts of handicaps have not entered my mind much.But then,that was "short range" shooting... whistle smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Because

Form-not sure where you live or hunt but where I'm from it'd be a grave mistake to bet against the vast majority of the hunters past 200 yds. Sure, past 400 people get a bit wonky. But, day in and day out I can't say it'd be tough to find a good game shot around here that can go a lot longer than 200 with ease and then some!

I've worked the our ranges sight in days and far and away the people are more than capable with a gun.

And, with proper coaching it aint no bigga casa grande to get people ready to hot game to 400 under the right conditions and with the right set ups and proper training.

Dober

Mark is right on target--

Out here in God's country, 375-400 yard shots are something that alot of hunters can do--on demand--on big game animals.

However, more than just a few others can do the same on yodel dogs--a much tougher target. My old friend Savage could regularly whack 'em at up to 500--but for a time he made his living at it, and was dead serious about controlling all of the variables that he possibly could. My old hunting/shooting friend Pat (scenarshooter), can whack dogs so far out you would never believe it--and no, i'm not talking 1000 yard shots...the fact is if anyone really saw, and knew what he can do out in the field--on demand--against wily/wary targets, it would flat out turn their blood to spit...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Way I see it, you aren't going to notice the difference between a .5 BC and a .65 BC under 6-700 yards, unless there is a big fat wind. And maybe it's just me and my way, but I'm not going to shoot at game if there's enough wind to make me question myself...

I'd contest the 6-700 yard part and move it closer-- say 450, 500 yards. But in general I agree.

Seems like it's usually windy when I'm shooting; perhaps that colors my opinion.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Form, can you go into what you mean by 'know how' to shoot past 200 a little more? Just proper shot placement/knowledge of ballistics/field positioning?

All of the above. I probably should have stated 200 yards in the East, and 300 or 400 in the West. I have hunted in 8 or 9 states in the East and and have never just stumbled on someone who knew what they were doing at long range. I have met and hunted with a few but I knew them before going hunting. Of course I have ran into the guys with the equipment to go long, or at least they thought so, but none actually could perform at distance. I also meet guys that are capable LR shooters but they don't hunt, or if they do it amounts to them shooting deer off of their porch. These were/are the F Class/1,000 yard benchrest type.

I did have a couple of guys come out that had custom 300 Jarretts, Ziess scopes with the Rapid Z reticles that could hit out to 500 or so if they could use their bipods. But come to find out Jarrett built the rifles, mounted the scopes, zeroed the rifles, and worked the loads until the drops matched the reticles. They didn't know how to adjust for wind, how to dial at all, only one even owned a rangefinder, and neither knew how to sight in their own rifles. Take the bench away or leave prone and the bipod and something at 150 was more then likely safe.

Dober

As I said above out West there certainly seems to be more people that can shoot in the 3-400 yard range. We met some guys in the San Juans a few years back that had killed a barely legal bull Elk. It was a couple days before our season started and we were out scouting when we heard 11 or 12 shots and meandered up the ridge to see what was up. There were a couple of guys standing around shaking hands and what not when we walked up. We started talking and they told us what they had killed. They had decent equipment and talked like they knew what they ware doing at least somewhat, but under time constraints and pressure two of them shot almost a dozen times at an Elk starting at 400 and ending at just over 600 yards.

Hunting deer out West not to long ago we met and talked to probably close to a hundred hunters and not one was comfortable with long shots. We went to check zeroes the day before the season opened and stopped by one of the main camping spots on the NF land where we were to let the people there know we were going to shoot a few rounds. Just like the fellows from CO we met a group of guys that had the equipment and talked a good game about 5 and 600 yard killing. We through a pack down and picked out a smallish rock at around 300 and a clump of dirt at about 550. We of course hit them with our first shots as thats pretty easy range for even normal rifles, but you would have thought they just saw a miracle the way they acted. Like most I have contact with, when they are actually holding a rifle with a target/animal in front of them, they seemed to know more about talking about LR shooting then actually doing it.

FWIW.... I killed both of my deer on that hunt at shorter ranges. One at sitting at 382, and the other at 369 of a pack.

I think what happens (it certainly was the case for me) is that if we like to shoot/hunt LR/race/etc., then we tend to associate with those who like to do the same, and start to think that there are more of us then what there really are. Especially if you frequent forums. It wasn't until I joined the military, started traveling and competing that I realized how..... limited... most are. Just like the "sub MOA all day long rifle crowd" it seems everybody is a riflemen on the internet. However, I've run into people at matches and in the military that talked good about the longish shots on the net but inevitably when the caps start getting popped those 1/2 MOA rifles aren't and the real comfortable out to 500 yard hunting types aren't either. There are exceptions such as George Gardner, Scenar Shooter and some other well known guys, and I'm sure that Dober, BobinNH and a few others are completely capable, but in my experience they are not the norm.

I maintain that if you took 100 hunters from random and gave them thirty seconds to range, setup and hit a 8-10 inch plate at 400 to 500 yards starting from standing holding their rifle and pack that very, very, very few would hit it. Of those that did hit it most would be from guessing and "luck" more then skill and knowledge.

Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
FormD, really cool post... interesting to hear about the different types you come across.

I killed a muley buck and a cow this year, at 360yds and 340yds respectively. At that point in my experience (or lack thereof) that is about as far as I would've shot at game. Fortunately, I was confident and made two really good shots. Now that I've taken up the process and gained knowledge exponentially (compared to what I used to know), I would expand that range now to about 500 yards, prone off a pack. Not that I wouldn't try to stalk closer, but I would indeed take a 500 yard shot if the situation called for it.

It's really, really cool to see how a decent piece of glass with a functional elevation turret coupled with an accurate load can transform a rifle.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I have belonged to a club of match shooters for 40+- years,who compete nationally and in Canada;so am used to being around people who can shoot.Some hunt....many do not.But they can all shoot.

I don't think people like Dober and Pat and Formid,and some others on here are at all typical among hunters,especially in the east,where hunting is typically done at moderate distances.I have taken quite a few people to 300 and 400 yards...guys who have hunted for years...and have never touched off a round at that distance,and would not even consider shooting at an animal that far away. They simply do not know what to do.

This is largely a function of interest, practice, inclination,and opportunity.If you can only access a 200 yard range,or a 500-1000 yard range or ground once a year, you simply will never be able to contemplate shooting any furhter than the outer limits of your ability to practice continuously in order to be proficient.

Being in tune with a rifle takes time and lots of rounds at chosen distances and positions....not many are truly willing to put in that kind of time and effort and expense to be truly proficient.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I guess I'm not like everyone else. Most will say that while they are confident killing at _______ yards (say 500) that they would try to stalk closer. See I don't get that. I will take the first available, makable shot that the animal presents. If a deer/elk/bear steps out at 500(?) yards I'm not trying to stalk closer even if I could. I'm turfing it and now.

It's really, really cool to see how a decent piece of glass with a functional elevation turret coupled with an accurate load can transform a rifle.

No doubt. When I started to shoot long range as a teenager I had a rough road. Now it's very easy to find a normal off the shelf hunting rifle/scope/ammo combination that is perfectly capable at med-long range.

Next time you are shooting try setting up an 8-10 inch target at 400 to 450 yards or so and time yourself cold, no warmups. Start standing, wearing your pack and holding your rifle. At the start signal range it, setup your pack, figure wind, dial/hold and see how long it takes for that first round and whether you hit it or not. No mulligans or alibis. Then see what the average for 5 runs at it is. I bet you'll be surprised. I bet everyone would be surprised. Putting hunters/shooters on the timer in that very drill has hushed a lot of the "he's ______ yards away and you only have 10 seconds to shoot before he gets away" nonsense...

Matter of fact if Dober and BobinNH are reading I would be very interested to see what ya'lls times are for the above drill. I have timed a bunch of people on it, but am very interested in what different good animal killers can do, and from what I read I think you both probably fit that. Anyone else that wants to try it would be great also.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Reading over this I just want to make it clear that I'm not saying that I, or what I'm presenting is the end all be all. Not in the least. I know some may take it that way. I shoot a lot and see a lot of shooters, but I still miss and screw up a bunch. This is really more just gabbing about ballistic gack and BS'ing about observations.

You never stop learning and I am truly interested in this stuff and others experiences.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Matter of fact if Dober and BobinNH are reading I would be very interested to see what ya'lls times are for the above drill. I have timed a bunch of people on it, but am very interested in what different good animal killers can do, and from what I read I think you both probably fit that. Anyone else that wants to try it would be great also.

Formid I can try that.....I've been timed off hand for close ,fast shots while working the action,but not as you describe. I know Dober does it that way.When I get a friend at the range with me I will do it...and will time myself if necessary.

I will be honest grin

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Took my new fancy AR400 plate out today. Just set it at 300 yards and let the Twintana chew at it for 80 or so rounds. Guns grouping ok with 75 amaxs kissing with benchmark behind them, so I suppose if I were to actually wipe-out my barrel and shoot off a bench I could get good groups...who cares though. Took my good friend out and got him shooting it to get his mind off his kid and ex-girl friend. He has about 4 hours trigger time in his life and he already says 300 yds is boring smile

Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

If I were smart enough, which apparently I'm not
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Gee, just think...If a 270 with matrix bullets is now a long range performer, just think what a real 6.5 -or- 7mm can do with matrix bullets. whistle

I'm thinking these bullets would be perfect in a 270 Weatherby, I've been looking for one of the old Southgate models built on an FN Mauser action. A new 26" barrel with a 1 in 9' twist would be just about right. Thanks! I handed down my late 1960s vintage BDL in 270 to my youngest son after hunting everything but brown bear with it for 40 years. I think you gave me a reason to buy a 270 Weatherby!

Last edited by colorado; 05/08/12.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

All of the above. I probably should have stated 200 yards in the East, and 300 or 400 in the West. I have hunted in 8 or 9 states in the East and and have never just stumbled on someone who knew what they were doing at long range. I have met and hunted with a few but I knew them before going hunting. Of course I have ran into the guys with the equipment to go long, or at least they thought so, but none actually could perform at distance. I also meet guys that are capable LR shooters but they don't hunt, or if they do it amounts to them shooting deer off of their porch. These were/are the F Class/1,000 yard benchrest type.

I did have a couple of guys come out that had custom 300 Jarretts, Ziess scopes with the Rapid Z reticles that could hit out to 500 or so if they could use their bipods. But come to find out Jarrett built the rifles, mounted the scopes, zeroed the rifles, and worked the loads until the drops matched the reticles. They didn't know how to adjust for wind, how to dial at all, only one even owned a rangefinder, and neither knew how to sight in their own rifles. Take the bench away or leave prone and the bipod and something at 150 was more then likely safe.

Dober

As I said above out West there certainly seems to be more people that can shoot in the 3-400 yard range. We met some guys in the San Juans a few years back that had killed a barely legal bull Elk. It was a couple days before our season started and we were out scouting when we heard 11 or 12 shots and meandered up the ridge to see what was up. There were a couple of guys standing around shaking hands and what not when we walked up. We started talking and they told us what they had killed. They had decent equipment and talked like they knew what they ware doing at least somewhat, but under time constraints and pressure two of them shot almost a dozen times at an Elk starting at 400 and ending at just over 600 yards.

Hunting deer out West not to long ago we met and talked to probably close to a hundred hunters and not one was comfortable with long shots. We went to check zeroes the day before the season opened and stopped by one of the main camping spots on the NF land where we were to let the people there know we were going to shoot a few rounds. Just like the fellows from CO we met a group of guys that had the equipment and talked a good game about 5 and 600 yard killing. We through a pack down and picked out a smallish rock at around 300 and a clump of dirt at about 550. We of course hit them with our first shots as thats pretty easy range for even normal rifles, but you would have thought they just saw a miracle the way they acted. Like most I have contact with, when they are actually holding a rifle with a target/animal in front of them, they seemed to know more about talking about LR shooting then actually doing it.

FWIW.... I killed both of my deer on that hunt at shorter ranges. One at sitting at 382, and the other at 369 of a pack.

I think what happens (it certainly was the case for me) is that if we like to shoot/hunt LR/race/etc., then we tend to associate with those who like to do the same, and start to think that there are more of us then what there really are. Especially if you frequent forums. It wasn't until I joined the military, started traveling and competing that I realized how..... limited... most are. Just like the "sub MOA all day long rifle crowd" it seems everybody is a riflemen on the internet. However, I've run into people at matches and in the military that talked good about the longish shots on the net but inevitably when the caps start getting popped those 1/2 MOA rifles aren't and the real comfortable out to 500 yard hunting types aren't either. There are exceptions such as George Gardner, Scenar Shooter and some other well known guys, and I'm sure that Dober, BobinNH and a few others are completely capable, but in my experience they are not the norm.

I maintain that if you took 100 hunters from random and gave them thirty seconds to range, setup and hit a 8-10 inch plate at 400 to 500 yards starting from standing holding their rifle and pack that very, very, very few would hit it. Of those that did hit it most would be from guessing and "luck" more then skill and knowledge.

30 seconds isn't much time to range, dial, and get in a solid enough setup to hit that plate at 500 yds. I'll have to time myself and see how close I can get (to 30 seconds). Might not be pretty, because I haven't yet started putting a time stress on my initial setup... which is foolish, and you are correct that it's an extremely valuable thing to be good at! Or would be, lol.

Shooting off a pack wasn't kind to me when I gave it a run a while back. Packs are just so variable- they can have hard spots, soft spots, tilts, etc just from what is in them. I decided a bipod was a much more valuable learning tool for the early going. Much more consistent.

At this point my longest game shot is a bit shy of 300 yards (elk). Hit her exactly where I meant to. It was at a STEEP up-angle so I shot standing leaned against a tree.

I should get the high-desert mule deer tag I've been saving for; just put in for it. That'll be a whole different ballgame than my blacktail hunting. Shots are often measured in feet there-- which is an art in itself-- but I suspect this fall, I'll be in different conditions. I'm going to be working all summer to be as proficient as possible by then. I will add a stopwatch to my regime.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Tanner Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
FormD, I'm in the very situation myself as a learning teenager (I AM an adult though!) And a 243 was GREAT to learn on, and now the Lightweight rigs I've put together are a whole new learning process. I really like your drill of throwing the pack down and putting bullets on a target as quick as possible.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (21, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 68 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,895
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.