Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
340mag Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
when I started elk hunting in the very early 1970s I was 19 and one of my mentors (arthur) was and "old geezer" about 40 or so (the youngest of the older guys I learned from) that had lived and hunted elk for about 24 years,with his dad, he had used a 1917 enfield the first few years but bought and used a 760 Remington in 30/06 loaded with peters 220 grain ammo ,for elk hunting and hes used that ammo now for decades. he used that same rifle and similar ammo that used 220 grain round nose bullets and swore anything else was inferior for decades and he did darn well using a weaver 4x scope on that rifle also, he eventually dropped 17 elk in 40 years which is far above average success on public grounds, and we always hunted there,on public grounds,because most of the group could not afford to hunt else ware. well I got a call, that he made his last elk hunt last year at age 83, he lost most of his eye sight to various medical conditions due mostly to age,plus a mild heart condition, his daughter keeps the rifle now but she seldom hunts.
I could tell from the conversation with ARTHUR that he was devastated at the prospect that he had no chance of ever hunting elk again as he had made every trip he could possible afford to with our group over the last 45 plus years.
its rather depressing to think all that experience and enthusiasm will no longer be part of our elk hunts, but he was the last of the original mentors and even most of the guys I started hunting elk with decades ago have either died off, lost interest of are medically no longer able to hunt, and I can see age has even effected the few who remain, and Im not immune to the effect of time either, so guys enjoy what time you can spare to hunt and take pictures if you can,thats one huge regret on my part, I seldom took a camera

Last edited by 340mag; 05/08/12.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good thoughts here about past hunts and hunting companions. The camera is something that can record those moments and memories best. Good post!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I know the feeling, I was with my dad in 58 when he killed his first elk, at 37 years of age. He passed away in 04, hunted with him almost every year. Learned a lot and saw a lot of great country some of which I still hunt frequently.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those memories are so important to our minds.

Thanks for telling that story.

Also thanks for forums like this where we can hear words of hunting, firearms and shooting passions.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Sad times indeed.When I was in my forties I sat down and figured out how many elk hunts I had left in me. I decided I could probably hunt until I was 70 which is coming up mighty fast in another year +. Those 30 hunts went awful quick. Luckily CO has let me hunt a few years with two hunts per year. I sure don't have many left and encourage those that do to take advantage of every one they can.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
340mag.......invite Arthur along any way.

Us hunters are always saying that dropping an animal is not the reason (or the only reason) we hunt.

It's that bond of companionship not only during the hunt but in camp.
You can include Arthur in strategy which could lead to memories of previous hunts; "remember back in ...... when we....."

He may not be able to stalk the elk any more but he can smell the pines,the cedars,the sagebrush......he can smell the smoke from the campfire......he could help cook.....lots of tasks that makes him a member still of the hunt.

Make him feel he's still a hunter.......and get those photos of him on a hunt before it is way to late.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I can only hope to last as long as Arthur. That would give me another 13 years. It's getting hard though.

Some of my best years hunting were with my dad. My biggest regret is I never had a son to pass on the tradition of our family. Elk hunting was always the most popular subject at the dinner table. Now it's all lost when i'm gone.

I agree to take Arthur on the hunt. Just being in camp will be better than staying home.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by chapped_lips

+1 ... nuff said.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My good friend just retired at 67. His dad kept coming to he elk camp with us until he was 86 I think, and the reason he didn't lately was, he lives in Maine and it is far and expensive to come out to CO. He would not chase elk like us, he would sit on a folding chair near the pickup truck and look around, waiting on the elk. He saw more than we did and sure felt he still was part of the hunt.
I have another friend who is 84 this year. He hunted last year, shot a cow and has put in for a tag this year too. I bet he will keep going even if not hunting as long as he breathes.
Take the old gizzers along. They are the ones who keep the elk camps alive.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Orion2000

+1 ... nuff said.

+2.

Done it a few times with older guys. Camplife and comradarie are just as good as the hunt - epecially if you've killed a truckload or two of game.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, when I get too old to make it to timberline, I hope the troops will still extend an invite. I'll still try to keep the larder stocked with some fine trout.

1Minute
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bwinters
Originally Posted by Orion2000

+1 ... nuff said.

+2.

Done it a few times with older guys. Camplife and comradarie are just as good as the hunt - epecially if you've killed a truckload or two of game.

Another +.....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If you do get the older gent to go, make sure you can make him comfortable. Comfortable bed, warm and not just on a cot. Make sure your menu matches what he can do. If in a tent, make sure you can keep him warm and decide if he needs to have someones tay with him while everyone is out hunting.

Older folks require a little more TLC

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Remember the good times 340mag with open eyes and heart in the field. He will be with you. Kawi

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
While I've hunted deer and other game for many years, just last year, I went on my first elk hunt in CO. I'm absolutely hooked but sadly, at age 61, the realization hit that I started way too late. But, with a measure of divine help from our creator, I hope to hunt as long as my legs and health will allow.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Those pics are good for those who are still going relatively strong and maybe even for those who are essentially done. They may bring back memories, even good ones, but that doesn't mean they will be beneficial. For many it is hard to look at what once was and now is. It hurts too much to remember.

Last edited by battue; 05/08/12.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We have a good friend that goes with us that is 76 this year. Started to smoke when he was in his teens and now is on oxygen and can't make it around very well. He drops us off and picks us up but is bored out of his gourd. Two years ago we were able to get a cow elk to run in front of him and he rolled it with two shots and last year we had a several bulls and 30 cows run by but he wasn't able to get a bull down. We hunt at 5-8k in elevation and even with the o2 he struggles so this year we are hunting deer lower not far from his home. It is still fun to have him in camp and drink beer and listen to his stories.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
At the ripe old age of 62, I approach every western elk hunt as if it will be my last. I keep applying for Colorado preference points and, with any luck, still have a few years left in me.

As a friend of mine often says, "run 'er 'til she locks up".

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Sad times indeed.When I was in my forties I sat down and figured out how many elk hunts I had left in me. I decided I could probably hunt until I was 70 which is coming up mighty fast in another year +. Those 30 hunts went awful quick. Luckily CO has let me hunt a few years with two hunts per year. I sure don't have many left and encourage those that do to take advantage of every one they can.

I'm 63, had really bad Congestive Heart Failure a year and a half ago. Seems like my heart muscle contracted a virus. I just found out I'm on of the lucky few who's heart self heals. It's almost back to normal. So I plan to elk hunt this year in Colorado again. I'm going hunt smarter, not harder this year. As you grow older, there's always Africa, guided hunts in Alaska and Canada, most of them not as strenous as an elk hunt at 11,000 plus feet in Colorado. But those elk hunts you do with friends are truly glorious!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Chuck...........That's the beauty of still hunting the high timber. It's not hard on the old body. Especially, if you can find some areas that are pretty level.

This is where i'll be hunting elk this year. It's a new area for me, but I have all summer to scout it. I already know it has lots of elk and deer there. I just need to wait until the other hunters drive the elk into the timber.

http://gmap3d.com/?place=mineral+basin+chaffee+county+co.&r=3dmap

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (222Sako, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 13,755 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,132
Posts18,542,406
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.