Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
340Boy, I am at the "hands off all new glock's" stage right now, if you check the fired case in the envelope included with the guns there is a date on it, and if the date is late 2009 or latter the extractor and ejector will be different even in the Gen 3's (again this is from an internet search and info on m4carbine and not first hand information so it is suspect, however there is a lot of negatives now, there are some extractor and other fixes you can add aftermarket based on again the interwebs)

What a bunch of dumbphucks, they had a good thing going and want to make 2-3 cents more per gun.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just checked my gen 2 Vs my son-in-laws gen 3, trigger group, extractor and ejector are identical. His is a 2010 gun. I will have to look at my sons as it is only 5 months old but a gen 3 and I didn't notice any difference when I changed out his connector & trigger spring for him.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have owned both guns in question. Gen 3 glocks and an m&p pro. Both shoot great and both were reliable. I like the m&p better as it felt better in my hands. I shot both well but definetly shot the pro better. Thanks.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Anybody checked out a S&W Shield? Just wondered why a lot of guys are excited about them?

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by idnative1948
Anybody checked out a S&W Shield? Just wondered why a lot of guys are excited about them?

everyone I know that has shot one, has nothing but good to say about them.
The Shield will be a home run for S & W.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
IC B2

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Terry a lot of info here:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=92133

700 posts on the subject and counting...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Interesting but have not heard of these issues and we sell a lot of Glocks.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
No question that the extractors look different old vs new!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Agreed, I have yet to see one come back with a problem or have anybody ask to have it changed or want it sent to Glock. Not saying it isn't happening, just that I have not seen it.

BTW, the sons has that dished extractor and as of about 1500 rounds has been flawless, the S-i-L's gun has the earlier style and made it through the academy (2,000 rounds) and two qualification cycles (100 rounds) and much practice so far without problems.

All three of the 19's we have, have been modified with Scherer 3.5# connectors, green NYC trigger springs and night sights, all else is as manufactured.

Old cat turd!

S
S
Been wanting to pick up a new G17 since the beginning of the year and was waiting for Glock to definitively fix the problems with the Gen 4. Spent the last month in Florida, went to three gun shops as well as a gun show while there and whenever I asked about the issues with the Gen 4, I always got either one of two answers: 1) "Never heard of any issues with the Glock and we never had one returned for any reason; must be internet hype" 2) "Only the very first run of guns had an issue but they're all fixed now and we never had one returned for any reason". Every LGS around here (NY) gives the exact same answers. Apparently Glock has been very reluctant to admit there actually is a problem even though they have made several changes to RSAs, ejectors (now extractors?). Seems to me Glock dealers also don't want to address the issue as evidenced by the responses you get when you inquire about it. I really want to buy another Glock as the one I own has been flawless for 9 years now but don't like to plunk down good money on any product that doesn't work well. I also don't like the way this whole Gen 4 problem has been handled by Glock or their dealers. So in the past two weeks I started to look at the M&P full size and will probably end up with one in the next week or two. At some point I have no doubt Glock will get the Gen 4 right and working as well as the Gen 3 and then I will buy one but not at this point. Sorry for the long post.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Sean
Apparently Glock has been very reluctant to admit there actually is a problem

This is Glock's M.O. They NEVER issue recalls, even when they KNOW they've sold you a POS, like the guns that had slide rails breaking several years ago.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by Sean
Apparently Glock has been very reluctant to admit there actually is a problem

This is Glock's M.O. They NEVER issue recalls, even when they KNOW they've sold you a POS, like the guns that had slide rails breaking several years ago.

This.
I really like my Glocks, but I wish they were a bit more willing to own up to their mistakes. Maybe they take that "Perfection" motto of theirs a bit too seriously.
smirk

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I still don't see how either the M&P or the XD for that matter are a better gun over glock, higher bore axis on the XD, more complex operation, neither guns have as good a trigger IMO and both guns are heavier. yeah the grip angle is different, but if you handed me each gun having been a long time since I shot it or having never shot the type. I am going to be hitting better much faster with the glock.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I agree, the low bore axis and grip size on the 19 fits me well. Just wait a few months and let them sort it out MAYBE! To make a few more pennies per pistol they now use mim, and in addition are now soundly into SIG territory, greedy not satisfied with good margins, and so it goes.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I still don't see how either the M&P or the XD for that matter are a better gun over glock, higher bore axis on the XD, more complex operation, neither guns have as good a trigger IMO and both guns are heavier. yeah the grip angle is different, but if you handed me each gun having been a long time since I shot it or having never shot the type. I am going to be hitting better much faster with the glock.

Why I favor the 19 over all others for CC is it is the "Goldilocks" gun for my hands, but I have done a grip reduction on mine so it has a 1911 grip angle. When I hold the gun there is about an quarter-inch of the grip stickin out of my palm. Nothing to get in the way of a mag change, but the grip is enough shorter than that of a 1911 or a G17 to really aid concealability.

S&W doesn't make a similar sized grip. Full sized or compact (too short, IMO) A guy with really big hands might be better off with the M&P though, as the G19's grip might be too short for him. I have a friend who has to put a mag funnel on a 1911 to keep from catching meat on mag changes.

S
S
jimmyp,

I agree with you that the 19 is a "Goldilocks" gun; just right in most every way and one that pretty much anyone can be happy with. Like you, I kept thinking "just wait wait a little longer" and the Gen 4 troubles will be fixed but after almost six months, the problems still appear to be there. The potential of buying a malfunctioning gun out of the box just doesn't appeal to me so it looks like the M&P will be it even though I would have preferred the 17.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
So I am hearing more about the Walther PPQ, it may be good.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jimmyp
So I am hearing more about the Walther PPQ, it may be good.

Defintiely my favorite. I've never picked up any handgun that is so easy to shoot well right out of the box.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (35, 7887mm08, 44mc, 7x57Hunter, Algotguns, Akhutr, 5 invisible), 1,466 guests, and 923 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,417
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.